Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jjk

Is This Painting Quote Reasonable?

Hi,

my ID is quoting us S$1600 to paint the entire unit (less than 1,000 sq ft), using Dulux Pentalite (basic) paint.

Is this a reasonable quote?

I checked on Dulux's website, and they charge S$1,400 for a unit that is less than 1,000 sq ft, and using Dulux All-in-1, Wash & Weat, Light & Space ranges, Pentalite of products. Does anyone know if there's a difference between getting the Dulux guys to come paint vs going with the ID? For eg, a painter tied with ID may do a few more coats, paint before carpentry and after carpentry...at no additional charges; whereas the Dulux guys do less quotes (maybe) and won't paint before carpentry works and touch ups. Or any other differences?

TIA!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi,

my ID is quoting us S$1600 to paint the entire unit (less than 1,000 sq ft), using Dulux Pentalite (basic) paint.

I checked on Dulux's website, and they charge S$1,400 for a unit that is less than 1,000 sq ft, and using Dulux All-in-1, Wash & Weat, Light & Space ranges, Pentalite of products. Does anyone know if there's a difference between getting the Dulux guys to come paint vs going with the ID? For eg, a painter tied with ID may do a few more coats, paint before carpentry and after carpentry...at no additional charges; whereas the Dulux guys do less quotes (maybe) and won't paint before carpentry works and touch ups. Or any other differences?

TIA!

$1.6k is no joke for <1000sq ft. DULUX paint guys are also general sub-contractors which follow according to the jobs available, they can work for dulux today...and also probably work for your ID tomorrow...they're not full time DULUX employees ...i don't presume DULUX gets a job/house to paint everyday to give them a full-time salary.

For your paint works, I assume the below

- Kitchen walls are TILED hence only painting of ceiling is needed

- Not painting the toilet CEILING. (People seldom paint this as some painters claim that need moisture resistant paint..blah blah blah....then ask you top up $$$ to buy special paint and other bull...Even so..this is probably only like 3square meters of ceiling)

- Not painting bomb shelter

You only need a maximum of 6 cans of paint for all the whole house + ceiling included. 1 can of paint only $45-$52 arounds...

Ceiling coat is only 1x (unless changing color then bo bian). It's the toughest job and isn't very obvious to light even when some patches may not be thick enough. 2 cans of paint (5litre) is enough for your ceiling.

All other walls require only 3 - 3.5 cans of paint. To paint 2 layers of the wall, they need to have the 1st layer on in MORNING and it takes at least 4-5hrs for the paint to fully dry up for a 2nd layer. This is something most painters do not do. They'll spend the morning 1st moving and covering all your furniture and masking up your electrical points and other necessary. 1st priority is painting the ceiling, followed by the walls in the afternoon. What they do is to paint THICK for only 1 layer on the wall and that's all you get. The last part of the day at about 5:30pm++ , they'll do some touch up with the corners/skirtings etc.

They'll only give you 1 days work and that's all. Only at night, after they start to leave and you start cleaning up and putting everything back, and with the lights on...then you will be able to see where they may have missed out or which part of the walls require touch up..then you get to give them a call tomorrow.

Hi,

TIA!

I find your quote very expensive. I only paid $1200 for painting my entire condo unit using nippon and I got to chose the premium colours as well! $1600 for basic colours is ridiculous. The painting company I hired had a wide range of colours and they did a good job. Maybe you might want to get a quote from them. here is their number 9 1064885

Edited by Relynn

thanks all for the inputs. i made a mistake. ID quoted $1400 for painting, using Pentalite only, for my condo's size... which i think is still a bit high. so hubby managed to negotiate with ID to use the premium range and top up $100. so nett is $1500 for painting entire unit, using premium range. I wasn't very pleased, but hubby say small issue, as long as overall workmanship is good, that's more impt.

ICI have a good deal. You can choose up to 5 colours

http://www.dulux.com.sg/eventsnpromos/paintingpackages.jsp

Hi,

TIA!