Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
snoopy2006

Advise Please !

Hi to all expertist,

I am planning to be my own ID for my new coming 5room flat due to budget constraint.

My floor plan..

floorplani.th.jpg

Another reason why i want to be my own ID is i afraid by using 1 contractor for the whole house, there will be delay in my renovation if the contractor's has a lot of project on hand. My renovation work maybe can only start on the 2nd Dec and to be complete by 31st Dec!! :bangwall: :bangwall:

Since i am not working, so maybe i should give it a try? :jawdrop: But i know will be quite ' siong' cos i got to travel from west to East by train. zz also am planning to engage different contractors doing different works. :jawdrop:

Example :

1) Hacking for the whole house + flooring - Contractor A

2) Electrical - Contractor B

3) Carpentry - Contractor C

4) Window Grill - Contractor D

5) Painting for the whole flat - Contractor E

Not a good plan right :unsure:

Assume i insists to use the above different contractors, what are the things i need to take note?

And which to start first ? correct me if i'm wrong..cos i need to plan my own time table & in order to co-ordinate with the various contractors.

Day 1 : Hacking for the whole house + dismantle all the kitchen cabinet & toilet cupboards ( require 3 days ? )

Day 2 : Hacking work

Day 3 : Hacking work

Day 4 : Waterproofing + cement for the whole house approx 7 days ?

Day 5 : Waterproofing + cement

Day 6 : Waterproofing + cement

Day 7 : Waterproofing + cement

Day 8 : Waterproofing + cement

Day 9 : Waterproofing + cement

Day 10 : Waterproofing + cement

Day 11 : Start to lay tiles ( 3 days ? )

Day 12 : lay tiles

Day 13 : Lay tiles

Day 14: Painting for the whole house

Day 15: Painting

Day 16: Painting

Day 17: Chemical wash

Day 18: wiring the whole house

Day 19: wiring the whole house

Day 18: carpentry work for the kitchen/ 2 bathroom/ bedroom/ TV feature wall/ shoes cabinet

Day 19: carpentry work for 2 kitchen/ bathroom/ bdroom/ TV feature wall/ shoes cabinet

Day 20: carpentry work

Day 21: carpentry work

Day 22: Air con installation

Day 23: Window grill & wronght iron grill installation

Dunno how to proceed..A bit blur. is it something like that ?? :~

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Depending on the amount you need to remove, it might span between 1 to 2 days. Hacking for 2 toilets and kitchen usually takes 3 full days. You might be able to get workers to dismantle the kitchen while another hack the toilets. This way you save a day. Floor hacking no experience so can't advise.

Your carpenter and electrician needs to work together because you might want your cupboard to hide some wires. Then you need your electrician, plumbing and tiling guys to work the kitchen and toilet so that they can hide some pipes and wires if need to.

Your electrician should be in to do some primary wiring before the false ceiling goes up. Need to pln your lighting and power outlets right after hacking.

Painting don't need 3 days. You want the painter to come in to paint once before any carpentry goes up then 2nd coat after all is done to touch up the damaged parts via a/c and other works installation. This will also make sure that you wont have a patch of unpainted area when you decide to change any carpentry work I future.

I am thinking you have too little days for carpentry and electrical works

I guess you have all the individuals contacts for the renovation?

1) Usually Hacker and Tilers you can use as one contractor. You also need to ask them to get for you the HDB permit.

The duration will take about 2 to 3 weeks depending on how much the worker they provide. You can tell them about your timelime so that they can supply more manpower.

2) After tiling is up, you can get the plumber and electrician to install water pipe and wiring respectively. It should take a few days. However wiring may need to come again to install the lights and others.

3) Can get the aircon man to come and istall the aircon.

4) After all the tiling is done, you need to call the carpenter to come to your site to do the measurement. It will take a week or so to do it at thier factory. Installation will take about one day after wiring and piping is up.

5) Window Grill you also need to call them to measure after the tile is up. One week production. One day of istallation.

Lastly will be paint and chemical wash.

Here are abit of knowledge that i know off.

All the best.

Hi,my house is currently undergo reno and have just completed carpentry work.

Maybe i can share the proceed w u.

1) Hacking of wall, tiles, laying... hack WC and basin if u want... can do it later b4 carpentry oso cos your contractor might need water and use toilet.

2) False celling and electrican to discuss celling plan and lighting point...Best to meet them together on site to discuss how wire trunkiing can be minimize by hiding in false celling. Also alot trunking can be hidden in carpentry cabinet. Make u tell ur electrician and they will run loose the wire cable there. Also ask your electrician to create a pipe in false celling hide fibre optic trunking.

3) Get aircon man to run aircon trunking.

4) Painting whole house after false celling and wiring done.

5) After painting install lighting. (1st installation)

6) Window grill measurement plus

6) Discussion w carpenter . Takes about 10 days to fabricate depending on ur carpentry amount. Make sure u tell them where u intend to highlight to them if u have some switch hiding in cabinet or wardrobe. They will need to cater the space and drill the hole for the run loose cable.

7) Install solid top.

8) Electrician call in to install switch that are not done... ( those on carpentry work )

9) Install aircon unit.

10) Final Touchup...

I oso do glass work too... Depending on what u plan to do... But basic steps for mine reno is above...

Hope it help u...

I guess you have all the individuals contacts for the renovation?

1) Usually Hacker and Tilers you can use as one contractor. You also need to ask them to get for you the HDB permit.

The duration will take about 2 to 3 weeks depending on how much the worker they provide. You can tell them about your timelime so that they can supply more manpower.

2) After tiling is up, you can get the plumber and electrician to install water pipe and wiring respectively. It should take a few days. However wiring may need to come again to install the lights and others.

3) Can get the aircon man to come and istall the aircon.

4) After all the tiling is done, you need to call the carpenter to come to your site to do the measurement. It will take a week or so to do it at thier factory. Installation will take about one day after wiring and piping is up.

5) Window Grill you also need to call them to measure after the tile is up. One week production. One day of istallation.

Lastly will be paint and chemical wash.

Here are abit of knowledge that i know off.

All the best.

Ricsu,

Hmm..i do have some in mind but have not confirm them yet. my 1st appointment only 30 Sep. So is still early but i due to my ZERO experience in renovation, i have no choice but to find out in more details & even pre-alert 1 contractor on/off that i will be using his service soon..a bit kaisi but i have no choice cos the seller's maybe wil be delaying in moving out so i also need to plan to arrange the contractor to go up to the seller's house to see see look look when the seller's is in. I am super KAISU but i really have no choice cos i could left only 3 weeks + for my renovation.

thanks for your inputs. is precious for me! at least i have some idea of what to do..

Hi,my house is currently undergo reno and have just completed carpentry work.

Maybe i can share the proceed w u.

1) Hacking of wall, tiles, laying... hack WC and basin if u want... can do it later b4 carpentry oso cos your contractor might need water and use toilet.

I intend to invite the carpenter into the house to take measurement during the hacking work. Or maybe before the seller's move out ! Is it advisable ?

2) False celling and electrican to discuss celling plan and lighting point...Best to meet them together on site to discuss how wire trunkiing can be minimize by hiding in false celling. Also alot trunking can be hidden in carpentry cabinet. Make u tell ur electrician and they will run loose the wire cable there. Also ask your electrician to create a pipe in false celling hide fibre optic trunking.

Yes! thanks for the info !!

3) Get aircon man to run aircon trunking.

Yes, once tiles is done for whole house, will get the air con man to come. Same day with electrical & carpenter too!!

4) Painting whole house after false celling and wiring done.

Yup!

5) After painting install lighting. (1st installation)

Yup!

6) Window grill measurement plus

I plan to invite the window guy to measure before the seller's move out!!

6) Discussion w carpenter . Takes about 10 days to fabricate depending on ur carpentry amount. Make sure u tell them where u intend to highlight to them if u have some switch hiding in cabinet or wardrobe. They will need to cater the space and drill the hole for the run loose cable.

Ok.

7) Install solid top.

Do you mean the kitchen ? I may use any company for doing up my kitchen.

8) Electrician call in to install switch that are not done... ( those on carpentry work )

9) Install aircon unit.

10) Final Touchup...

I oso do glass work too... Depending on what u plan to do... But basic steps for mine reno is above...

Hope it help u...

I intend to hack 1 piece of wall which is blocking the ligting from entering the kitchen. The hole will be cover up by tempered glass. Dunno is it safe cos i got 2 monkeys age 5 and 3 years old. Super active. Afraid they might hit & break the glass! :drunk:

Edited by snoopy2006

Hahaha... I also hacked away my kitchen wall and replaced with 7 ft temper glass... I got 2 kids but they are 1 and 2 yr old... There is always risk of breaking when u have glass... but i think will be nicer cos the wall block the light entering the kitchen... At first i tot to hack half ht... but not that nice.. decide to hack full ht... It look nicer...

One thing to note for glass... They need to inplant the glass inside a U channel...

Alot ppl just stick the U channel on top of the tile... then input glass in...stick w silicon...

like that u will see the U channel...I find that ugly....

I dun wan the U channel to be visible... so i get my tiler to cut the tiler and input my u channel under the tiles... after which glass placed in U channel then glue w silicon... In this way, u wont see the U channel cos input inside...

Carpenter shd come in for measurement after celling up... hacking done... no point for them to come now cos the measurement wont be accurate w so many thing not done...

Just like my bed room wardrobe... I have a L shape false celling... the end of the L is in the way of the wardrobe...

So carpenter need to measure to suit into the L.... Not sure if u understand what i meant...

But is better for them to come after celling work is up...

Shawncck,

Pardon me... I don't quote understand the u channel.

Do you mind to take pix of the whole kitchen glass and show me?

I am also meeting the metal and wood carpentry later whereby he is bringing me to a unit which he just renovated. Believe he want me to see his workmanship.

Anyone had tried metal and wood carpentry? Any review comment about their workmanship and service?

Shawncck,

I am also meeting the metal and wood carpentry later whereby he is bringing me to a unit which he just renovated. Believe he want me to see his workmanship.

Anyone had tried metal and wood carpentry? Any review comment about their workmanship and service?

my glass is not up yet... That will be last cos scare other work might break it... But my u channel is plant in the tile Liao... I upload tml when I go new house take the pic tml...

My glass expected to be up by end of month... Will post for u see too when up...

Shawncck,

Remember to avoid to schedule Noisy work on weekend, otherwise contractor License will get suspendent. ;)

Not even sat ???

my glass is not up yet... That will be last cos scare other work might break it... But my u channel is plant in the tile Liao... I upload tml when I go new house take the pic tml...

My glass expected to be up by end of month... Will post for u see too when up...

Sure. Thanks so much!!