Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
poper

Creating A New Socket Point

Hi,

I want to convert a wall light point into a new socket point so that I can use it to power other electrical appliances.

My renovator (> 10 years back) uses only red color wires for my house.. Since a socket point needs to have live, neutral

and earth wire connected to the 3-pin points. How do I tell the neutral from earth when I dismount my wall light? The live

wire is easy to identify since it is stand-alone but earth and neutral may be screw together.

What I want to achieve is below:

[Light Switch] -> [Wall Light] converts to [Light Switch] -> [New Socket Point] -> [Wall Light] + [Other Appliances]

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

there won't be an earth line in the light switch... A light switch only has live wire going through. you can use a test pen to identify which line is the live by turning off the switch and the one that doesn't light up is the neutral. bear in mind you need to turn on the power to do this so you need to be really careful. when you dismantle the light itself, shorting the two wires will bridge it as neutral for the light switch, thus you can now convert the light switch to a power socket without the earth.

there won't be an earth line in the light switch... A light switch only has live wire going through. you can use a test pen to identify which line is the live by turning off the switch and the one that doesn't light up is the neutral. bear in mind you need to turn on the power to do this so you need to be really careful. when you dismantle the light itself, shorting the two wires will bridge it as neutral for the light switch, thus you can now convert the light switch to a power socket without the earth.

Thanks for the advice, bro!

I want to split an existing lighting point to support 3 separate energy-saving light of 20W each.

Can I simply get the same 2.5mm lighting cables and do a 1-to-3 join? I will then place a 3 way switch to control the 3 light separately.

The key concern is it doesn't overload the 2.5mm wire.