Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Wymark

Is The Price Reasonable For Carpentry Work - Dressing Table

I have a odd shape corner in my bedroom. The ID suggested a thoughtful design and we are quite happy with this carpentry work. However, since the dressing table is quite small (1200mm x 450mm), does it worth $520 price tag?

May I seek your opinion whether you think the price for the Dressing Table and Suspended Cabinet are reasonable?

Dressing Table in selected laminate finish at master bedroom [1200mm] $520

1. Length is 1000-1200mm

P63016011.jpg

2. Depth is 450mm

P63015510.jpg

3. Bottom View

P63013706.jpg

Suspended Cabinet with mirror for dressing table in master bedroom [1000mm] $429

1. Front View

P63014608.jpg

2. The mirror opens up to a shelf

P63014207.jpg

3. The cabinet does not come with top and bottom light. ID charge me another $56 dollars for the lights.

All the above price is after GST and before discount. The ID gives 3.25% discount on the total price.

Edited by Wymark

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi,

The prices you get are fair. Suspended dressing table is around $120 to $130 pfr. Since yours is around 4 feet, $130 X 4 = $520. So I don't think you got "carroted".

yamseng.gif

I have a few other items that I have doubt. Do you find the pricing reasonable for the Raised platform work?

Raised platform in solidply finish c/w laminated floor board for finishing (2900L x 1500W) $1,150.00

1. P92358101.jpg

2. P92358502.jpg

All the above price is after GST and before discount. The ID gives 3.25% discount on the total price.

Edited by Wymark

Hi Wymark, i truly believe ur carpentry cost is very reasonable.. Cos i compared to my quotation.. U c u also heart pain :bangwall:

I ask him y so ex den he giv discount but increase on another , quote higher for other things... N we keep on goin thru dis cycle.. Wic in the end he gave up cos i call his moves..

I told him upfront.. Look i noe dis trade well , u ID needs to "EAT" but must noe da limit.. Y not u giv me lowest n actual price den we nego how many percent i willin to giv u.. He agreed and my total reno quote was down by 3+k !!

Hope i made u feel better.. :)

Hi Wymark, i truly believe ur carpentry cost is very reasonable.. Cos i compared to my quotation.. U c u also heart pain :bangwall:

I ask him y so ex den he giv discount but increase on another , quote higher for other things... N we keep on goin thru dis cycle.. Wic in the end he gave up cos i call his moves..

I told him upfront.. Look i noe dis trade well , u ID needs to "EAT" but must noe da limit.. Y not u giv me lowest n actual price den we nego how many percent i willin to giv u.. He agreed and my total reno quote was down by 3+k excl.gif

Hope i made u feel better.. :)

Wah...you are a tough customer. I like your style. biggrin.gif

Hi Wymark,

Actually, why did your ID quote you in millimetres? I find it annoying. The standard is in psf for your raised platform. I suspect he or she put in millimetres so you cannot compare easily.

Btw, from my calculations, you got chopped for the raised platform. Its around 50 square feet (rounded up) and you end up with around $23 psf. Which is very expensive.

Still got anything in doubt?

Hi Wymark,

Actually, why did your ID quote you in millimetres? I find it annoying. The standard is in psf for your raised platform. I suspect he or she put in millimetres so you cannot compare easily.

Btw, from my calculations, you got chopped for the raised platform. Its around 50 square feet (rounded up) and you end up with around $23 psf. Which is very expensive.

But chopped or not, I believe that the horses have bolted?

Cheers!

But chopped or not, I believe that the horses have bolted?

Cheers!

You are right. I do this fact finding for the same reason behind why you need to unveil the airplane window before landing. :-)

Must know how you die ma... :lol:

Thanks renoseeker.

Just to be fair to the ID, I think he did mentioned that there is a minimum floor size. Also, I think the raised platform is consist of two parts:

1) the laminated wood surface

2) construct the "frame" to support the laminated wood surface.

See that there is a depth...

P71328802.jpg

This is how the original balcony looks before the raised platform.

balconyfloor.jpg

20110823_999_30.JPG

How much would be a reasonable psf cost?

I do have other doubts such as electrical, etc. I will post again later.

Hi Wymark,

Edited by Wymark

Just to be fair to the ID, I think he did mentioned that there is a minimum floor size. Also, I think the raised platform is consist of two parts:

1) the laminated wood surface

2) construct the "frame" to support the laminated wood surface.

I am not sure of the two parts thing you are taking about. If you want to have a raised platform, isn't it a given that you need to construct the "frame" to support the wood surface? The wood is not going to float on its own.

Whats the height of the thing?

4 inch to 6 inch is about $8 - 10 psf

Above 6 inch is about $10 - 15 psf

These are standard ID prices... Your ID may have charge you more because of the small area. These are just estimations from quite a while ago (Last Year)

Wah...you are a tough customer. I like your style. biggrin.gif

haha yea man... well cos my werk requires me to do corporate purchases...so i noe dis vendors etc trade's well..

plus im tired n wanna get my reno done so its a win-win for us.. haha but not all ID willing to nego dis kinda ting..

haha yea man... well cos my werk requires me to do corporate purchases...so i noe dis vendors etc trade's well..

plus im tired n wanna get my reno done so its a win-win for us.. haha but not all ID willing to nego dis kinda ting..

You gotta have good negotiation skills too.

Respect bowdown.gif