Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kunxeno

Whats The Height Between Kitchen Top Cabinet And Bottom Cupboard?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Guest VincentTan

Hi Guys

Do you know whats the height between kitchen top cabinet and bottom cupboard?

as i planned to put hob and back slash glass backing

Hi kunxeno,

Saw that you plan to use a glass backing for your hob. think that is a bad idea as I have seen and heard of quite a few experiences in glass backing that crack (due to heat or impact)after some time (even if you use tempered glass). Especially if you are a moderate to heavy user of your hob. The current trend is to use stainless steel back which is probably cheaper than glass and also quite easy to maintain. Goes without saying that you dont have to worry about the stainless steel cracking or breaking.

Hope that helps.

Hi kunxeno,

Saw that you plan to use a glass backing for your hob. think that is a bad idea as I have seen and heard of quite a few experiences in glass backing that crack (due to heat or impact)after some time (even if you use tempered glass). Especially if you are a moderate to heavy user of your hob. The current trend is to use stainless steel back which is probably cheaper than glass and also quite easy to maintain. Goes without saying that you dont have to worry about the stainless steel cracking or breaking.

Hope that helps.

Bro, i have check that aluminum is far more exp then glass backing, fyi my mom house hve been using glass backing for hob area for the past 10 years, heavy cooker so far so gd

Height between top and bottom is 65 to 75cm.

If you use tempered glass for your backing, it will never crack because of the heat.

Hope this helps :-)

Height between top and bottom is 65 to 75cm.

If you use tempered glass for your backing, it will never crack because of the heat.

Hope this helps :-)

Thanks all for reply!

750 max height so if i put hob should be 750 too rite?

Thanks all for reply!

750 max height so if i put hob should be 750 too rite?

Is that including the usual 50mm motar base or from the floor? 750mm from the floor feels like it would be suitable if you're approx 1.4-1.5m tall.

I suggest you take a measuring tape and mark out these lengths on a wall to get a better feel of the numbers. Ideally, get the actual user to get a feel for it.

Mine is 820mm (from the floor). It's the perfect height for my wife, while I find it slightly too low, but as she cooks more often than I am, it works out fine.

The Right Counter Height

For determining the height of work surfaces, we don't care as much about the height of the user as we do about the distance of his or her elbows from the floor. The elbow is the critical hinge of all lower arm movement — and it's mostly lower arm movement that does the work in a kitchen.

Fit the countertop height to the actual user, not a hypothetical "average" user. If your elbow is too high above the work surface, you tend to lean forward to put your elbows back in an optimal relation to the countertop. If your elbow is too close to the work surface you tend to either step or lean back to being the elbows back into the correct position. In either case, the back suffers. If after preparing Thanksgiving dinner your lower back is killing you, your countertops are too low. If the pain is in your upper back and shoulders, they are too high. For most people, the standard countertop height of 36" is too low. It was set in the 1930s when people were on average shorter than they are today — and it was probably too low even then. For most cooks the optimum height is between 37 and 39 inches, and we have made countertops as high as 40 inches.

Your base counter height is found when, with palms on the counter-top, your arms rest at a 45 degree angle to the countertop. For chopping, slicing and most food assembly, this is the optimum height. But different work surface heights better fit other kitchen tasks.

Cooktops, for example, should be a little lower so you can better peer down into a pot.

Hand mixing should also be at a lower level for better leverage and proper ergonomic alignment.

For washing dishes, the working surface is not the countertop, but the bottom of the sink. So sink depth is an issue. For a tall person the best depth might be 10 inches, but a short person needs a shallower sink to be comfortable, as little as 5" in some cases.

Baking also requires a lower working surface. When rolling out dough, you want to lean forward a little to put your back into the process so your arms and shoulders do not have to do all the work.

http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/kitchen.ergonomic.htm

Edited by artblakey

Is that including the usual 50mm motar base or from the floor? 750mm from the floor feels like it would be suitable if you're approx 1.4-1.5m tall.

I suggest you take a measuring tape and mark out these lengths on a wall to get a better feel of the numbers. Ideally, get the actual user to get a feel for it.

Mine is 820mm (from the floor). It's the perfect height for my wife, while I find it slightly too low, but as she cooks more often than I am, it works out fine.

mine , we just did at 860mm.

For height between table top and top cabinet should be 750mm

for the height between the top and bottom cabinet, do not go beyond 750mm all the effectiveness of the cooker hood will be compromised.

when doing measurements, in order to be clear use the term AFL - After Finished Floor Level , that means the measurement from the floor finish (eg. tiles or parquet) to the top of whatever cabinetry. this will help prevent misunderstanding.

bottom cabinet height should be 85 to 87cm high BUT Westerners prefer 90cm.

my personal view is do to the height which you are most comfortable with or using your existing house cabinet to gauge whether you will prefer it lower or higher or just status quo.

i hope the above information helps.

Cheers,

GHCY

Check the specs for the hood you plan to get. E.g. my Fujioh hood has the optimal height specified, and I think most/all hoods should have too.

Counter height should depend on the user as mentioned. Mine is 92 cm, but usual is around 85 cm as I've heard from my IDs/contractor. My upper cabinets are 62 cm above my counter.

Try popping by Interior Affairs at Tai Seng to have a look/feel of the various cabinet/counter heights. I found it quite useful while planning for my kitchen.