Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kirinshibori

Old New Flat On A Shoestring Budget

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Since quite a number of us are interested in Tree/Branch shelves, let me post other alternatives I've found online...

kostas-2.jpg

540981199898347.jpg

modular-shelving-design-horm-sinapsi-3.jpg

2009-02-04-elmhurst.jpg

branch-shelf.jpg

For the last one, there's even a DIY guide available online. Apparently you can construct it for US$10-20...

Modifying Hinges and Drawer Runners on Ikea Furniture

I just finished yet another round of hinge hacking to my Ikea cupboards. So I thought I'd share what I've learnt through research and trial and error...

Buy Blum hinges for Stuva cupboards. It's a simple 1-for-1 replacement. I changed the hinges on my kids' Stuva cupboard to Blum Clip tops with Blumotion.

Blum Clip top hinges can also be used on PAX and Faktum cupboards but modification is required.

Buy the Ikea Integral hinge mounts for $0.30 each from Customer Service. The screw with plug from the mount is required to fit the Blum hinges to the cupboards as the original Ikea screws are too thick for the Blum hinges and normal woodwork screw are too slim for the pre-drilled holes in the Ikea cupboards. As the Ikea soft close hinge cost $5 each, I opted to buy Blum hinges and the Ikea mount (actually made by Blum). It's definitely less than $5 per hinge and I get to save by using a mix of Blumotion and normal hinges. A bit of work is required to unscrew the screws on the mounts to remove the plugs and cutting off part of the plug is required when inserting them to the screw holes that secure the cup of the hinge assembly.

That said, it'll be comparatively hassle-free to buy the Ikea Integral hinges for your Ikea furniture since they are authentic Blumotion hinges made by Blum for Ikea. Note that Hettich hinges are not compatible...

integral-hinge__0142108_PE302070_S4.JPG

I used unsprung Blum Clip top hinges on my PAX cupboard in the guest room and mated them to Blum Tip-on accessories to get a push-to-open effect and save on buying handles, lol...

As for the Komplement chest of interior drawers, it's using Hettich undamped self-closing runners. I attempted to buy dampers for them, but it seems that the local distributor does not bring them in as the Quadro V6 series are pretty affordable and comes with self-closing and damping. As expected, Ikea's runners are the low-end models from Hettich... in any case, if anyone wants damping function on their Komplement drawers, they can buy the V6 runners and do a 1-to-1 replacement since the offsets and holes are the same.

This is the chest of drawers I'm talking about...

komplement-interior-chest-of-drawers__0134770_PE291382_S4.JPG

I'll probably consider changing the runners (cost <$100 for 3 pairs) when I feel rich, haha...

Btw, I love my Grohe Icon handshower...

IMG_2355.jpg

It finally arrived after 4 months... well, I guess better late than never! Which also means I a have an excess Grohe thermostat shower mixer and Hansgrohe kitchen mixer on hand... anybody interested?

Btw, I love my Grohe Icon handshower...

IMG_2355.jpg

It finally arrived after 4 months... well, I guess better late than never! Which also means I a have an excess Grohe thermostat shower mixer and Hansgrohe kitchen mixer on hand... anybody interested?

Wow. NICE !!!!! :dribble:

Too bad i already blew my reno budget. hahahahahaahh

This shelf is cool too...

yule-tree-bookshelf.jpg

And while we're on the subject of branches...

DIY-ergonomic-branch-lamps-design.jpg

This is awesome! Wondering if it look nice on our lower hdb ceiling height.

Modifying Hinges and Drawer Runners on Ikea Furniture

I just finished yet another round of hinge hacking to my Ikea cupboards. So I thought I'd share what I've learnt through research and trial and error...

Buy Blum hinges for Stuva cupboards. It's a simple 1-for-1 replacement. I changed the hinges on my kids' Stuva cupboard to Blum Clip tops with Blumotion.

Blum Clip top hinges can also be used on PAX and Faktum cupboards but modification is required.

Buy the Ikea Integral hinge mounts for $0.30 each from Customer Service. The screw with plug from the mount is required to fit the Blum hinges to the cupboards as the original Ikea screws are too thick for the Blum hinges and normal woodwork screw are too slim for the pre-drilled holes in the Ikea cupboards. As the Ikea soft close hinge cost $5 each, I opted to buy Blum hinges and the Ikea mount (actually made by Blum). It's definitely less than $5 per hinge and I get to save by using a mix of Blumotion and normal hinges. A bit of work is required to unscrew the screws on the mounts to remove the plugs and cutting off part of the plug is required when inserting them to the screw holes that secure the cup of the hinge assembly.

That said, it'll be comparatively hassle-free to buy the Ikea Integral hinges for your Ikea furniture since they are authentic Blumotion hinges made by Blum for Ikea. Note that Hettich hinges are not compatible...

integral-hinge__0142108_PE302070_S4.JPG

I used unsprung Blum Clip top hinges on my PAX cupboard in the guest room and mated them to Blum Tip-on accessories to get a push-to-open effect and save on buying handles, lol...

As for the Komplement chest of interior drawers, it's using Hettich undamped self-closing runners. I attempted to buy dampers for them, but it seems that the local distributor does not bring them in as the Quadro V6 series are pretty affordable and comes with self-closing and damping. As expected, Ikea's runners are the low-end models from Hettich... in any case, if anyone wants damping function on their Komplement drawers, they can buy the V6 runners and do a 1-to-1 replacement since the offsets and holes are the same.

This is the chest of drawers I'm talking about...

komplement-interior-chest-of-drawers__0134770_PE291382_S4.JPG

I'll probably consider changing the runners (cost <$100 for 3 pairs) when I feel rich, haha...

Wow... you are good handyman! Good information too, thanks!

Hi Kurinshibori, your house looks great! I was looking for some ideas for the carpentry work that I want to do for my new house; chanced upon your t-blog, and amazed that you pulled of the look off the looks of the things you wanted from the inspiration pics. Kinda inspired me that it is possible to be prudent and yet achieve the look, provided that the planning homework is done :)

I was looking at one of the picture you posted on your genkan - is that a shoe cabinet at the right hand side? Not sure if that was your shoe cabinet but saw the "line" design and thought might be a good idea for shoe cabinet ventilation (I always find that my shoes get mould in the current shoe cabinet that I had, had to keep buying hungry hippo!). If it is the shoe cabinet, possible to pose a close up pic of the front and sides? That is if you don't mind me stealing your idea :P Thanks in advance!

Hi Ashleymay, I'm glad you liked the house!

Yes, it's an island with a shoe cabinet on one side and 6 drawers on the other. Size is 4ft(L)x3ft(W). The line design was specifically for ventilation, cos I hate having things growing on my leather shoes too, haha... Are you requesting pics of the cabinet door or just the island? There's nothing interesting at the side of the island, though towards the dining room side, I have a fold down table and power sockets attached.

Go to this website to see more Nathan Yong goodness. I think you'll find their close ups of "line design" cabinets and consoles helpful!