Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
denimart

Pokey In The City

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi,

May i know what is the reason for your walls to be put on pending from HDB? Currently i am facing the same situation as HDB claimed that the walls which i wana hack are pre cast walls.

So in the end what is the result after you appeal?

Hi, i never appeal. I merely wrote an email to ask them to faster approve the items for hacking due to the demolition date is almost over. Then the next day all the items(walls) for hacking were approved! What happened is becos they(HDB) approved the permit for reno first but those walls to be hacking are still on pending. Before they approve the walls to be hack, i actually got worry and ask my contractor will they reject? But my contractor v calmly told me not to worry sure approve but they like to drag cos the actual duration period for them to get back and approve is normally 2 weeks. My contractor only applied for the permit slightly more than a week earlier before the actual demolition date approved.

Edited by denimart

Rewind...

Two months before I received my keys, I am sourcing high and low for wood flooring and getting quotation for it. Both me and wife having been working in environment with timber flooring, we knew how comfortable and good to have wood flooring and we both share the dreams to build our home with timber floor for many years. Now is the time to realize it. First we visited woods & woods to look at their engineer floor...they were over priced and out of our budget. Laminate floor is out of question as we both knew how horrible laminate flooring could be, plus its not even real wood. Then i finally found this supplier of timber floor from RT, visited the workshop a couple of times and finally narrow down to burmese teak and American white oak. Guess which one we are using??

The beginning: Was struggling between Burmese teak in 95mm and 120mm width...

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

Both of us totally fall in love with the white oak when we visited this project site at CCK...

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

Rewind....

Still struggling between Burmese teak and white oak due to budget....darker tone is Burmese teak, lighter tone is white oak.

IMG_1100.jpg

Taken during the first few days of Reno, testing on the white oak the durability of the glue. At this stage, we still have not decide on which timber to use for the floor.

IMG_1106.jpg

23 April 2012

Meet up with my contractor we went to select tiles....the following are what we have chosen for both our bath room and kitchen...thanks to wifey and contractor

For both Bath room (pics were taken outdoor but with dark sky):

DSCF2065.jpg

For Kitchen (pics were taken outdoor but with dark sky):

DSCF2063.jpg

Edited by denimart

Hi denimart, just to share that i was also bent on white oak initially. But was advised by contractor that although it is widely used in western homes, it is not suitable for our humid and moist climate as it is very soft and prone to problems like termite infestation or rotting. I did some research on my own, and true enough, I decided on practicality over aesthetics and took the strong Burmese teak in the end. Hope to add value to your cons

Rewind...

Two months before I received my keys, I am sourcing high and low for wood flooring and getting quotation for it. Both me and wife having been working in environment with timber flooring, we knew how comfortable and good to have wood flooring and we both share the dreams to build our home with timber floor for many years. Now is the time to realize it. First we visited woods & woods to look at their engineer floor...they were over priced and out of our budget. Laminate floor is out of question as we both knew how horrible laminate flooring could be, plus its not even real wood. Then i finally found this supplier of timber floor from RT, visited the workshop a couple of times and finally narrow down to burmese teak and American white oak. Guess which one we are using??

The beginning: Was struggling between Burmese teak in 95mm and 120mm width...

Both of us totally fall in love with the white oak when we visited this project site at CCK...

Wood!! I like too!! Maybe I'll have wood for living and cement screed for kitchen. good choice!

Kirk... I previously worked for teak wood furnishing company which has 120 branches in many countries for many years and had my fair share of experience with teak wood, both Indonesia and Burmese. It is very difficult to find old teak tree with very nice wood grain and the drying process usually not done properly to save time and cut cost, the moisture in the wood will be suck out by our dry air conditioner and the plank will warp to some degree. I'm sure you ever come across teak wood flooring that felt a little bit uneven at the edges, upon close inspection sometime you will find fine crack in-between 2 pieces of plank or strip, that is caused by moisture in wood get suck out by dry air. The same goes to solid teak wood dining table top, we use to get service call that customer' solid teak wood table become a rocking chair, it was transport back to factory and leave it in the humid warehouse for a few days to warp back to flat surface and return back to customer.

Solid wood flooring is nice and warm but maintenance can be pain in the "A dark place", very few years die die have to re-vanish. Silat, lacquer, oil finish, or the special finish like Scanteak furniture... etc.

The Burmese teak looks young... go see Novena Church flooring, those are made with teak tress above 100 years old.

IMG_1100.jpg

Edited by taichipanda

If I would to choose, I prefer Burmese teak. White oak without lacquer is nice, after lacquer, it looks yellowish. Easily to get dirty. You should have seen plenty of white oak in showrooms, their floors look very dirty.

Will you consider swopping the floor tiles between the kitchen and the toilets? The toilets' floor tiles color tone are too light, will get dirty very easily, whereas the kitchen flooring is too dark. If you choose White oak, the color don't match with your kitchen floor, but if you choose Burmese teak, the dark tone color matches the kitchen floor with the dark color floor tiles you choose.

Edited by ayazumi

Hi, u look puzzled? :unsure::sport-smiley-018:

Actually our new place, my friend designs our only toilet-cum-bathroom to be open concept too with lots of translucent glass but i hate glass so shelve the idea. In the end he only do the bath area to condo style with conceal piping. Our reno started on the 12 March and we shifted in on 16 April, almost 3 weeks now, the place is still messy as my wifey want to wash all the clothes before putting them into wardrobe. We have not even order our dining table yet. The new cover for our 2 seater sofa is somewhere...

If I would to choose, I prefer Burmese teak. White oak without lacquer is nice, after lacquer, it looks yellowish. Easily to get dirty. You should have seen plenty of white oak in showrooms, their floors look very dirty.

Will you consider swopping the floor tiles between the kitchen and the toilets? The toilets' floor tiles color tone are too light, will get dirty very easily, whereas the kitchen flooring is too dark. If you choose White oak, the color don't match with your kitchen floor, but if you choose Burmese teak, the dark tone color matches the kitchen floor with the dark color floor tiles you choose.

I also agreed with ayazumi... the dark floor tile should be use in toilet instead. Wood flooring dont go well with dark floor tile.