Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
xlancer

Cement Screed Flooring - Help Needed

Hi fellow forumers,

Need some help/advice on doing cement screed for my flooring on the living room and kitchen on the first floor.

From my understanding, there are 2 methods of doing cement screed flooring:

1) Cement screed by hand - unfinished

- Pros: Nice authentic "cloud" textured/patchy design which resembles the retro HDB floor look

- Cons: The surface will be rougher and may be uneven since its done by hand (using a long "ruler"). It takes time for the surface to smoothen (possibly years) from mopping, walking etc. Potentially may have a powdery feel (not sure if that's true - i get mixed comments)

2) Cement screed with self-levelling compound on top

- Pros: Much smoother compared to without the self-levelling compound. Will not be so rough as well.

- Cons: There's no "cloud" texture on it as its entire flat grey in colour. No design to talk about.

=> Was told by contractor that using the self-levelling compound there's no way to achieve any "cloud" texture - its just plain 1 colour grey which is not the effect we want.

We are looking for the "cloud" textured/patchy look of cement screed floor but would like it to be smooth, not powdery.

Question:

a) Can the cement screed doing in (1) above be machine polished to accelerate the smoothening of the surface? Or is there some other ways of doing to achieve the same outcome? (e.g. using a wet sponge to manually smooth the surface and not just the ruler).

b) Can be self-levelling compound method be enhanced in some ways to get the cloud texture effect? I asked my contractor if he can sprinkle cement powder etc but he said it wouldn't work - it will just cause the surface to become lumpy or rough - not sure if that's true?

c) As cement is porous it can be easily stained by red wine, soya sauce etc. if there a way to seal the surface so that its waterproof yet not affecting its looks? I understand that using sealant makes it look dull and unnatural - not quite ideal.

I've searched the forum but didn't find any conclusive way of achieving the natural textured effort yet being smooth at the same time. I see that the question / path has been taken by many homeowners before and would be glad to hear from you.

Thank you!

xlancer.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Like this?

cementscreed.jpg

Manually spread by hand for the dirty industrial effect, experienced grey feet every day for first few years and must tolerate many many cracks some as wide as those 3mm on stressful part of the floor, after a few years when all the cracks have settled, can proceed to repair the big cracks by filling them with cement mixed with hardener, then when they are completely dried, you can apply a thick layer of lacquer to seal it.

Like this?

cementscreed.jpg

Manually spread by hand for the dirty industrial effect, experienced grey feet every day for first few years and must tolerate many many cracks some as wide as those 3mm on stressful part of the floor, after a few years when all the cracks have settled, can proceed to repair the big cracks by filling them with cement mixed with hardener, then when they are completely dried, you can apply a thick layer of lacquer to seal it.

Thanks for sharing, that looks interesting - i see that you created a squarish effect with lines.

Just curious - the "grey feet" effect you had, was it despite you mopping the place everyday?

Any insights on the following?

a) Can the cement screed doing in (1) above be machine polished to accelerate the smoothening of the surface? Or is there some other ways of doing to achieve the same outcome? (e.g. using a wet sponge to manually smooth the surface and not just the ruler).

b) Can be self-levelling compound method be enhanced in some ways to get the cloud texture effect? I asked my contractor if he can sprinkle cement powder etc but he said it wouldn't work - it will just cause the surface to become lumpy or rough - not sure if that's true?

c) As cement is porous it can be easily stained by red wine, soya sauce etc. if there a way to seal the surface so that its waterproof yet not affecting its looks? I understand that using sealant makes it look dull and unnatural - not quite ideal.

thanks!

Thanks for sharing, that looks interesting - i see that you created a squarish effect with lines.

Just curious - the "grey feet" effect you had, was it despite you mopping the place everyday?

Any insights on the following?

thanks!

the squarish effect is stainless steel strip embedded into the cement screed to aid in leveling, guideline and dividing the area for ease in maintenance.

mop floor everyday? nope, once a week.

a. that is a lot of hard work, polishing wont do, i think must sandpaper it finely but that may destroy the cloudy effect. you can try a small area to test the effect.

b. nope if you just use the self leveling compound; unless you manually spread it before it is completely dry but that may destroy the self leveling.

c. Paint a few coats of clear lacquer (like mine).

the squarish effect is stainless steel strip embedded into the cement screed to aid in leveling, guideline and dividing the area for ease in maintenance.

a. that is a lot of hard work, polishing wont do, i think must sandpaper it finely but that may destroy the cloudy effect. you can try a small area to test the effect.

b. nope if you just use the self leveling compound; unless you manually spread it before it is completely dry but that may destroy the self leveling.

Thanks for your advice!

Interesting on point (1) - i checked around and apparently some of the contractors mentioned that it would be possible to polish using those extremely fine rated sandpaper attached to those polishing machines (akin to those used for polishing marble) BUT i didn't get to ask if that will impact the cloudy effect which is a very good point. My main contractor mentioned he asked a few of his subcons who used to do this polishing for cement screed but no longer do it as the outcome wasn't ideal.

hi taichipanda, where do u buy the clear lacquer? and also does it have a strong smell?

thanks, linda

hi taichipanda, where do u buy the clear lacquer? and also does it have a strong smell?

thanks, linda

i bought them from big paint shop frequent by contractors, along Upper Changi Road, near to Kembangan. There is a strong smell when painting it to the floor, no smell after dried.

can i know how much it cost to screed ? and any contractor to recommend?

thks !

I cement screed the whole 4A back in YR2003 for about $2,500; very sure now cannot get this price.

Edited by taichipanda

I cement screed the whole 4A back in YR2003 for about $2,500; very sure now cannot get this price.

Do most contractor do this cement thing ? I asked some ID around my area , most told me that do tiles better ...

Any to share the better contact for such work ?

Thanks in advance

Do most contractor do this cement thing ? I asked some ID around my area , most told me that do tiles better ...

Any to share the better contact for such work ?

Thanks in advance

They should know since cement screed is the base foundation before doing tiles. y ID recommend tiles are more for aesthetic feel n also can charge more... :dribble:

Just to share an experience.

I went with an ID(Design Practice/Polaris) that had a portfolio of screed floors only to get it done badly. Just read the Nov 2012 issue of Home and Decor and they say it costs $2psf (mine cost more than twice that amount!) The article continues by saying that since it stains easily they actually lay plywood protection. My ID just loosely covered it with a layer of plastic and a layer of cardboard which of course tore holes though the renovation process and left many stains. Worse there were footprints and other stains and imprints left after the renovation. It was my dream to have beautiful screed flooring. Turned out to be a nightmare!

Just to share an experience.

I went with an ID(Design Practice/Polaris) that had a portfolio of screed floors only to get it done badly. Just read the Nov 2012 issue of Home and Decor and they say it costs $2psf (mine cost more than twice that amount!) The article continues by saying that since it stains easily they actually lay plywood protection. My ID just loosely covered it with a layer of plastic and a layer of cardboard which of course tore holes though the renovation process and left many stains. Worse there were footprints and other stains and imprints left after the renovation. It was my dream to have beautiful screed flooring. Turned out to be a nightmare!

Hi David, can you please PM me or tell us the contractor that the ID used...? So that I can avoid them, as I am planning to do this but for outdoor de.

$2 psf wd make mine $2k++ lo. Thts a lot for just cement! I cn top up a few cents more psf and get nice tiles... eek.

Does anybody know... if i paint the cement floor white and it's exposed to sun and rain, will it stain? TIA!

Hi David, can you please PM me or tell us the contractor that the ID used...? So that I can avoid them, as I am planning to do this but for outdoor de.

$2 psf wd make mine $2k++ lo. Thts a lot for just cement! I cn top up a few cents more psf and get nice tiles... eek.

Does anybody know... if i paint the cement floor white and it's exposed to sun and rain, will it stain? TIA!

Hey X6GT

Sorry! I must be too late replying this but am curious how your screed floor turned out eventually?

Guys,

I really love the industrial look of cement floor with wood furnishings concept. Read those cement Screed flooring thread and seems to come to no perfect ending. Anyone out there who have done this cement floor and is gracious enough to let me peek at some photos and answer my burning questions will be such an angel.. I beg you....

Here goes the questions:

1. Will it easily crack? is it difficult to mend?

2. What is the maintenance like?

3. How much does it cost to have a 4 room HDB done?

4. Powdery feel? Like got dust on your feet? I really hope to mop just once a week.

Please.....