Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jonatan1312

Downlights Led Vs Plc: Very Confuse

What does PLC stand for? Is this only a term used in Singapore? I've tried googling it and get no answers.

"PLC" just a code from Philips brand. different brand the code is different like orsam=dulex xxx

supplier,lighting shop,sale person,electrician...... call the same product code. now the code become the product.

not only PLC form code become the product. PL, PLL, PLCT .... also become product already.

the standard code is G24 d-x / x=1,2,3 / 1=10/13w 2=18w / 3=26w

if the down light is 2 x 18w mean the scientific name G 24 d-2.

a bit complicated right.

give other example:

maggi mee = instant noodles

pampers= diaper pant

maggi & pampers is a brand but now also become pruduct.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

One thing many people are unaware of is that those super slim LED downlights can lead to many problems. LED dissipate small amount of heat so it is cool to touch. However, it's tolerance level of heat is also lower. More than 50% of LED failure is attributed to overheating. Simply speaking, small increase in heat can damage LED, so cooling is important. There should always be enough space for ventilation.

Since the introduction of super slim LED downlights, I have heard of many horror stories regarding them. Because it is super slim, the drivers are often packed very close together, resulting in poor heat dissipation. So the LEDs breakdown way faster than they should.

Is there even any practical reason to have a super slim LED downlight? Some say it's to reduce the false ceiling height. Exchanging a small increase in ceiling height (<5cm or less) for the potential of many problems to replace the downlights.

I like to question, if LED are meant to last very long, why most shops only offer 1 year warranty? Are they not confident of the quality of their lights?

Hi all experts and experienced home owners, I am tempted to do a downlight but I know nuts in this industry. Would appreciate your kind advice if you could clear my doubt on a few questions.

1) Must I do a false ceiling if I were to install downlight? If yes, how thick will the false ceiling be?

2) Will a downlight be bright enough for a 4rm bto bathroom?

3) For maintenance of LED and PLC, are the replacements (bulb/driver/transformer/ballast) easily available if there is a breakdown?

4) Can we replace the above by ourselves or we have to call the electricians?

Thank you all!

Hi all experts and experienced home owners, I am tempted to do a downlight but I know nuts in this industry. Would appreciate your kind advice if you could clear my doubt on a few questions.

1) Must I do a false ceiling if I were to install downlight? If yes, how thick will the false ceiling be?

Probably to make it look good. How high the false ceiling depends on the type of downlight you buy. Vertical PLC or screw type is likely the tallest.

For single downlight, PLC or screw type no problem. 18W is very bright for a bathroom. LED - don't know.

3) For maintenance of LED and PLC, are the replacements (bulb/driver/transformer/ballast) easily available if there is a breakdown?

PLC easily available. LED drivers don't know. Screw type fluorescent with built in ballast plenty.

Replacement of PLC and screw fluorescent bulbs ok. Beyond that, to avoid electric shock call electricians.

Thank you all!

Probably to make it look good. How high the false ceiling depends on the type of downlight you buy. Vertical PLC or screw type is likely the tallest.

For single downlight, PLC or screw type no problem. 18W is very bright for a bathroom. LED - don't know.

PLC easily available. LED drivers don't know. Screw type fluorescent with built in ballast plenty.

Replacement of PLC and screw fluorescent bulbs ok. Beyond that, to avoid electric shock call electricians.

Thank you all!

Thanks Pelect, that clears alot of my doubts! Looks like PLC is cheaper and can do its job while being easier to maintain.

Now my next dilemma is to decide the following:

1) L-box with downlights + ceiling light + standing fan

2) L-box with downlights + ceiling fan

I am afraid that a downlight is not enough to lit a 4rm 93sqm living room. Most of the pictures i saw in renotalk gives off a warm yet slightly dim effect. What I want is a well lit living room yet have a warm effect. I dropped the idea of having a cove light due to my budget and practical reason.

On the other hand, I'm worried that too much downlights means more false ceiling and it means more money. Really a headache just to decide on my living area.....salute all you home owners who had finished the journey.