Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
clouds00007

Laminate Floorings For Kitchen

HI everyone,

Preparing for our new place. We have strong intention of using laminate on our kitchen floors as well but have been having mix reaction from people around us.

Even our ID is suggesting with switch to something else.

We understood that its more or less a water and laminate flooring issues but we are not the type of people who mop the floors with a very wet mop.

So we hope call out to those who are already using laminate floorings in their kitchen to let us know if its really ok or whatever problem and issue they are facings.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi clouds00007,

Would you like to consider tiles that looks like wood from White Horse or vinyl flooring? Both of them are able to provide what you are looking for and they will not be that easily damaged by water.

The issue with kitchen is that it is a place that is highly possible for water to leak and from what I know, kitchens with wood-finishing are usually using vinyl or ceramic tiles with wood texture.

If you still feel like going for laminate flooring in the kitchen, a suggestion is to use laminates with groove lines so that even if it swells by only a little, it will not be that obvious.

My personal point of view is to use either tiles or vinyl flooring for more convenience.

i really don't think it's a good idea too..we wanted the same wooden flooring for the whole house, and considered having bamboo or parquet wood and vinyl flooring..we end up choosing tiles due to maintenance issues..

it's not only about mopping but possible leaking and water splashes and oil splashes..once something leaks, you'll have to change everything..

if you want wood-like flooring and pricing is an issue you can try looking at ceramic tiles..i was concerned about the look and feel too, but was pleasantly surprised that there are lots of varieties for wood-grain tiles these days..the one we chose from soon bee huat was $2.60psf..

I've just done up my kitchen and service balcony flooring before CNY this year. Old kitchen floor is made of those old HDB rough ceramic floor. Wanted to hack initially, but due to budget constrains, I've sourced again and in the end, chosen this flooring called high resilient flooring. The salesman said its supposed to be waterproof and scratch resistant. Comes in woodgrain finishes.

So far so good, but its been only 5 months so its hard to say.

As for laminates, I have some issues with the laminate floor that I'm using it in my bedroom. Too smooth and I always need to take great care not to spill water on it for fear of it warping. hahaa.. my advice, don't use it for kitchen. =)

Hi clouds00007.

it is not problem to install laminate floor in the kitchen. my mother's kitchen installed laminate floor for about 12 years already,it still looks great, no problem at all. you can mop the laminate floor with little bit of water, no problem at all.

My previous house was using INOVAR laminates in the kitchen and we kept it for almost 8 years before we sold off our apartment. No issue there...the water resistant property promised by the salesman really lived up to expectation. And yes, I agree with potat0 to use laminate with groove line in the kitchen. It was exactly what we chose and we couldn't tell any swelling at all (if any). The maid mopped the floor quite diligently everyday.

Ceramic tiles with woodgrains are nice too, but the feeling is different. Ceramic is ceramic. I guess at the end of the day, it boils down to personal preference

Hi clouds00007,

Would you like to consider tiles that looks like wood from White Horse or vinyl flooring? Both of them are able to provide what you are looking for and they will not be that easily damaged by water.

The issue with kitchen is that it is a place that is highly possible for water to leak and from what I know, kitchens with wood-finishing are usually using vinyl or ceramic tiles with wood texture.

If you still feel like going for laminate flooring in the kitchen, a suggestion is to use laminates with groove lines so that even if it swells by only a little, it will not be that obvious.

My personal point of view is to use either tiles or vinyl flooring for more convenience.

Hi Potat0,

^_^ we did consider vinyl in the beginning, but as we are on a open concept design, where the living & kitchen are merged into one big space, I dun think I wana my living area to be in vinyl.

plus, i have read that vinyl are prone to scratches.

i really don't think it's a good idea too..we wanted the same wooden flooring for the whole house, and considered having bamboo or parquet wood and vinyl flooring..we end up choosing tiles due to maintenance issues..

it's not only about mopping but possible leaking and water splashes and oil splashes..once something leaks, you'll have to change everything..

if you want wood-like flooring and pricing is an issue you can try looking at ceramic tiles..i was concerned about the look and feel too, but was pleasantly surprised that there are lots of varieties for wood-grain tiles these days..the one we chose from soon bee huat was $2.60psf..

hmm ceramic tiles with wood grains.

My sis-law has them in her previous house, didn't really like the feel on the sole though.

I've just done up my kitchen and service balcony flooring before CNY this year. Old kitchen floor is made of those old HDB rough ceramic floor. Wanted to hack initially, but due to budget constrains, I've sourced again and in the end, chosen this flooring called high resilient flooring. The salesman said its supposed to be waterproof and scratch resistant. Comes in woodgrain finishes.

So far so good, but its been only 5 months so its hard to say.

As for laminates, I have some issues with the laminate floor that I'm using it in my bedroom. Too smooth and I always need to take great care not to spill water on it for fear of it warping. hahaa.. my advice, don't use it for kitchen. =)

Yeah, bingo, high resilient flooring is the answer.

at first we wanted normal laminate. but after calculating, using high resilient flooring will only cost us 1.6K+ more. but its the lifetime warranty, even due to water logging damage which lures us to it.

plus for the seamless look throughout the entire house without mixture of different floor material and worry free, is the key decision sealer.

Hi clouds00007.

it is not problem to install laminate floor in the kitchen. my mother's kitchen installed laminate floor for about 12 years already,it still looks great, no problem at all. you can mop the laminate floor with little bit of water, no problem at all.

wow, 12 yrs? ur mum using normal laminate or those high resilient flooring ones?

My previous house was using INOVAR laminates in the kitchen and we kept it for almost 8 years before we sold off our apartment. No issue there...the water resistant property promised by the salesman really lived up to expectation. And yes, I agree with potat0 to use laminate with groove line in the kitchen. It was exactly what we chose and we couldn't tell any swelling at all (if any). The maid mopped the floor quite diligently everyday.

Ceramic tiles with woodgrains are nice too, but the feeling is different. Ceramic is ceramic. I guess at the end of the day, it boils down to personal preference

INOVAR Laminates? are those high resilient flooring?

Ya ceramic is ceramic no matter how it made to look like.

Laminate always feels better.

Anyway, we have decided to take the plunge to get Evorich high resilient flooring.

Had called up the sales ppl and they confirmed the lifetime warranty is including damage due to water.

In fact, on their website, they even said that its suitable to be used in the bathroom.

So that settles our worries.

Anyway, we have decided to take the plunge to get Evorich high resilient flooring.

Had called up the sales ppl and they confirmed the lifetime warranty is including damage due to water.

In fact, on their website, they even said that its suitable to be used in the bathroom.

The resilient flooring tag as I mentioned in another thread, is a marketing trick to fool consumers by sellers of vinyl floors; a product associated with health and life risks.

By calling it resilient flooring, their intention is to gain respectability by associating it with safe product such as linoleum, which is also a type of resilient flooring.

It does settles that one worry on water, but it presents a lot more worries on the health impact upon the lives of people in constant contact with it.

A very clear fact is this, you will not see claims on the websites of well-known vinyl "resilient flooring" manufacturers that the product poses no health risk, unlike those of linoleum or laminate flooring manufacturers who dare to do so.

You should have a lot to worry about, when you decided to expose everyone in your home to such product imo.

do you have kids? it's not very safe for kids and studies have shown that it emits poisonous fumes..there're quite a few studies on it if you google it..

and also note that lifetime warranty is for the material itself only..this is installed with a 'floating' system i.e. the pieces are joined together like puzzles, clicking the sides together without sealing it..you'll have to be very careful with water e.g. air-con leaks, pipe leaks, forget to close windows when it rains, water spills, or even pets' pee..the water may seep in between and it may smell or cause mould to build up under the material..this is not covered by warranty as the material itself is not spoilt..

do you have kids? it's not very safe for kids and studies have shown that it emits poisonous fumes..there're quite a few studies on it if you google it..

and also note that lifetime warranty is for the material itself only..this is installed with a 'floating' system i.e. the pieces are joined together like puzzles, clicking the sides together without sealing it..you'll have to be very careful with water e.g. air-con leaks, pipe leaks, forget to close windows when it rains, water spills, or even pets' pee..the water may seep in between and it may smell or cause mould to build up under the material..this is not covered by warranty as the material itself is not spoilt..

You got ur point here, but i guess if anyone like and want a wood flooring have to becareful of water... cos its the the worst enemy for any kind of wood flooring not just laminate alone, i personnel install wood laminate fr inovar in my master room and its still looking even after 2 time of rain water attack(but i clear it within 2hr).

hmm ceramic tiles with wood grains.

My sis-law has them in her previous house, didn't really like the feel on the sole though.

I understand what you mean. Since you've made your choice. Enjoy the reno process. :)

I just want to point out 1 thing. When companies offer lifetime warranty, it is also a marketing gimmick. If they close shop, who will continue the warranty? Ask them that and if they say the floor manufacturer would, ask them to put it down on black and white, sign with company stamp. Verify with the manufacturer as well.