Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
abbradaca

Carpentry Doors Curl Inwards (Due To Young Wood?)

wondering if anyone encounter this problem before. the doors will curl inwards causing the center portion to protrude out slightly. the carpenter said its bcos these days, most of the wood used are young woods (abt 20 yrs old). so its not completing dry. therefore, after installation, the wood will continue to react to the environment. hence, it some of the doors will start to curl after exposing to eg : sunlight. this happen to few of my kitchen cabinet door & my wardrobe door.

i m not sure if this is true or the carpenter is just smoking me. anyone have any ideas? TIA.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

wondering if anyone encounter this problem before. the doors will curl inwards causing the center portion to protrude out slightly. the carpenter said its bcos these days, most of the wood used are young woods (abt 20 yrs old). so its not completing dry. therefore, after installation, the wood will continue to react to the environment. hence, it some of the doors will start to curl after exposing to eg : sunlight. this happen to few of my kitchen cabinet door & my wardrobe door.

i m not sure if this is true or the carpenter is just smoking me. anyone have any ideas? TIA.

Yes it is true. Actually you can ask your carpenter what can be done to minimize the warping, those experienced carpenter will know how to prevent it; only those lousy carpenter will stare at you gong gong dai dai.

I have seen some use a long wooden block as handle, screwed to 1 side near the edge of the door to prevent the door from warping.

Edited by taichipanda

for my wardrobe door, the carpenter said they had added metal as support but doesnt help. so i guess its beyond our control then. as long as they are not lying, i will accept their reason. thks for ur info. :)

Eh.. smoking la..

Carpentry doors are made from plywood, block wood, or chipboard, NOT FROM ORIGNAL PLANKS. Those bowing issues are only applicable to timber decking or doors made from solid planks, where the continous grains are intect.

Plywood is laminated with different alignment to minimise any warpage. Blockwood is small piece of wood jammed together, the grains are not continuous.

I don't deny that inferior raw materials can be a cause of warpage, but.. a manufactured warped cabinet door shd be totally unacceptable.

Most wood used to come from tropical areas, where the climate is similar to Sg. But these days.. got wood from china, which is a totally different moisture environment.

oh..... :(

i got no knowledge non expertise to argue with them. actually my carpenter's quality of work is very so so only, so i kinda suspect what they said. tats why asking for advise here.... oh well... only can try to get them rectify whatever is possible.

Eh.. smoking la..

Carpentry doors are made from plywood, block wood, or chipboard, NOT FROM ORIGNAL PLANKS. Those bowing issues are only applicable to timber decking or doors made from solid planks, where the continous grains are intect.

Plywood is laminated with different alignment to minimise any warpage. Blockwood is small piece of wood jammed together, the grains are not continuous.

I don't deny that inferior raw materials can be a cause of warpage, but.. a manufactured warped cabinet door shd be totally unacceptable.

Most wood used to come from tropical areas, where the climate is similar to Sg. But these days.. got wood from china, which is a totally different moisture environment.

Plywood is still thin sheet of real wood, although warping is minimised but it is still possible if the piece is long or tall like a cabinet door when expose to dry aircon or direct heat source. Even raw plywood also can warp.