Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
originalbread

Ikea Lights

Hi

Anyone using Ikea lights? How do you find it? I liked some of the designs, especially the pendant lights, but not sure if they are durable. I thought these are cheap too and can add some nice shades with it.

hemma-cord-set__40944_PE135098_S4.jpg

(image fr Ikea)

But can I use any bulb with Ikea lights? The other time I blur blur bought a Ikea desk lamp then realise the light is warm rather than white. I prefer white light (except for dining).

I also thought of getting nice glass retro shades. Anyone know where to get affordable shades like theses but glass in material?

189400_405040786229975_47948106_n.jpg

(image fr Oddyssey)

I saw from one shop at haji lane and its a bit above my budget as I'm thinking to hang three together.

thanks

Edited by originalbread

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Ikea lamps have standard bulb fittings so you can choose any kind of bulb to use with them. Even for the halogen ones, these days you can get LED replacement bulbs which are much more energy saving. Durability is not an issue, never had an Ikea lamp spoil on me before and I have used many for several years.

Edited by paddie

ikea light price is cheap. you can also try lighting.com or lite fushion. I bought mine at lighting.com. you can view the product online with price indicate. all can see.

Got my lights from Ikea too, especially the side table ones. The variety are so so, but the price are good.

I got my lighting from lighting.sg too which is affordable but variety is even more limited.

The bulbs are similar and can be interchanged so nowadays I buy my bulbs from Ikea and replace the spoilt ones from lighting.sg whose bulbs seems not able to survive longer than ikea sadly.

Thanks Alexz, I was also thinking of getting some from lighting.com.

Thanks Gkbt too. I thot lighting.com uses Philips bulbs, something that they r proud of n should be more durable. Anyway, most likely will get fr a few places.

In response to the original question, the IKEA cord could only hold on to a load of 2kg. Your glass lamp shade may be a tad too heavy.

This is true, but with some reinforcement and modification, I think it can hold a lot more. The key is to have all the weight supported by the cord alone, not the attached fixtures. The cord itself is quite strong.

For the lamp shade side, I'm guessing a few cable ties might do the trick. Should be quite easy to hide too.

The lighting point side is OK because I think it comes with a hook which you're supposed to hang on the ceiling. So no weight on the lighting point itself.

Anyway, this IKEA pendant lighting socket is one of my favourites. Cheap ($5+) and very versatile. Can use all types of shades. One of my shades is actually an IKEA flower pot. I got the idea from IKEA hacker :)

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/07/lampshades-from-wooden-plant-pots.html

ikea%2Blamput-715248.jpg

That's cool.

I confess tho, by the time I come to purchase lights, i'm already too tired to do any simple diy or buying shades n light codes, so I got a simple round light for my bedrm. Perhaps when I do my second house in future, I could save more time n money in certain areas and do more fun stuff.

This is true, but with some reinforcement and modification, I think it can hold a lot more. The key is to have all the weight supported by the cord alone, not the attached fixtures. The cord itself is quite strong.

For the lamp shade side, I'm guessing a few cable ties might do the trick. Should be quite easy to hide too.

The lighting point side is OK because I think it comes with a hook which you're supposed to hang on the ceiling. So no weight on the lighting point itself.

Anyway, this IKEA pendant lighting socket is one of my favourites. Cheap ($5+) and very versatile. Can use all types of shades. One of my shades is actually an IKEA flower pot. I got the idea from IKEA hacker :)

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/07/lampshades-from-wooden-plant-pots.html

ikea%2Blamput-715248.jpg

Hi

Anyone using Ikea lights? How do you find it? I liked some of the designs, especially the pendant lights, but not sure if they are durable. I thought these are cheap too and can add some nice shades with it.

hemma-cord-set__40944_PE135098_S4.jpg

(image fr Ikea)

But can I use any bulb with Ikea lights? The other time I blur blur bought a Ikea desk lamp then realise the light is warm rather than white. I prefer white light (except for dining).

I also thought of getting nice glass retro shades. Anyone know where to get affordable shades like theses but glass in material?

189400_405040786229975_47948106_n.jpg

(image fr Oddyssey)

I saw from one shop at haji lane and its a bit above my budget as I'm thinking to hang three together.

thanks

Light fittings or fixtures at Ikea is ok and depends how they going to match your home. Most important is you have to know what kind of lamps to use in the living room, bedroom etc... Lights effect really make a different feel. If you want, you can PM me for details as I am into LED lights/lamps.