Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Elyn

Island Top In Kitchen

Hi

hope someone can help me this. We wanted a island top in the kitchen where our hob is. But our id says unless we use induction hob. else have to built a wall beside the island top to allow the gas piping to connect from the ceiling if we wan to use the normal gas hob. But building a wall defeat the purpose of having a island top. So wat are other ways to do it so we can have island table with gas hob installed. Thanks

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

You want piped gas or tank gas? If tank gas, you can do island since not restricted by piping.

But if you want piped gas, then you have to ask city gas whether they can let you have pipe coming down from the ceiling to your hob in the middle of the island. I would think this is quite ugly lah. So best you take tank gas or else electric hob ( got other choice other than induction. Mine is electric but it's vitro ceramic)

Hi

hope someone can help me this. We wanted a island top in the kitchen where our hob is. But our id says unless we use induction hob. else have to built a wall beside the island top to allow the gas piping to connect from the ceiling if we wan to use the normal gas hob. But building a wall defeat the purpose of having a island top. So wat are other ways to do it so we can have island table with gas hob installed. Thanks

Only way out is using Cylinder gas tank, unless you dare to conceal the gas piping on floor...

Only way out is using Cylinder gas tank, unless you dare to conceal the gas piping on floor...

gas piping must be done by city gas, right? they will not conceal it under the tiling for you.

can do a mini platform to conceal the gas piping? But but... is it worth the hassle?

maybe just get an electric hob as someone suggested, less troublesome?

i think electrical glass hob or induction will look nicer on the island than gas hob

Edited by rayfox

can do a mini platform to conceal the gas piping? But but... is it worth the hassle?

maybe just get an electric hob as someone suggested, less troublesome?

This has infact make me think of a way to lay it under the topping up floor,

HDB has allowed topping up kitchen floor with EPF form, we may modify through this method and create a drain with removable cover to hide the gas piping :good:

ofcoz an induction cooker is a better solution cause it will cost around 1k for implementing our new method, but don't forget it will cost $1k plus for buying induction cooker plus a few hundred dollars to lay 30Amp light point.

Feel free to call me if you need to know more about Induction cooker or the new method ;)

What do u mean by topping floor with EPF form? We not intending to use induction hob as we wan to cook. Both of us think induction hob dun cook that nice n only allow certain pots to use.

We dun intend to use gas cylinder too

What do u mean by topping floor with EPF form? We not intending to use induction hob as we wan to cook. Both of us think induction hob dun cook that nice n only allow certain pots to use.

We dun intend to use gas cylinder too

"extruded polystyrene foam" we so call "light weight form" for not adding weight load to the floor and yet achieved topping up of floor area,

while doing it, you may make up a drain gutter for laying of gas pipe to your island, then cover it up with a standard plastic cover, remember to lead its way to the current water trap so that it serve as a potential drain gutter sametime.

- if still not sure, can contact me for free consultation"

interesting site, pub will not allowed you to do that.

they have no reason to stop us from doing that cause we are making it exposable :yamseng:

they have no reason to stop us from doing that cause we are making it exposable :yamseng:

As long as the pipes are accessible for repairs/maintenance then shouldn't be a problem. Meaning they are not concealed. But have to consider how the city gas piping runs in the house. These pipes will most likely be running along the ceiling. To run it to the kitchen island via the bottom means the pipe has to come down somewhere along the edge of the ceiling to the floor. This is still alright as it can be hidden behind the kitchen cabinets. Then comes the platform plus EPF method to hide the floor pipe.

Unless you intend to platform the whole area... 'Mini' platform can't hide all piping on the floor... I feel it's not practical as well since kitchen is an area with quite a lot of moisture.

No gas cylinder plus nono to induction cooker (I understand, all for the delicious food :lol: )

Run gas pipe from top then, can combine with water piping, so your kitchen island have water outlet as well. As for the ugly pipings in the middle, box it up make it into part of the kitchen island design.

Hope this helps.

:yamseng: ,

Mike

Hi mike,

That's wat our id proposed. Pipes will be coming from false ceiling. N he proposed to have a small wall jus beside the island table to allow the pipes run down. But we feel that it's weird n don't look like having a island in kitchen.

Hi mike,

That's wat our id proposed. Pipes will be coming from false ceiling. N he proposed to have a small wall jus beside the island table to allow the pipes run down. But we feel that it's weird n don't look like having a island in kitchen.

If you don't want electric stove then you don't have much choice. Either come down from ceiling or else build slight elevated floor to have pipe coming to island from the side of wall.