Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Hi guys, i'm new to this forum. Went to Chew interior and Hamid&Son General contractor (well known among malay community) before i got to know of this forum. Wanted to do something simple for my house such as kitchen cabinet, window grille, light box and mirror with my $12k budget. Was quoted $17k and $15k by the above mention company. Totally out of my budget. Then was told by my buddy to D.I.Y my own renovation and can get the direct contractor from here. Been asking ard and called up the direct contractor that was recomended thru here. Pros & Cons of direct contractor: no doubt price is cheap but if something goes wrong dunno who to find. Plus i dont have the knowledge which 1 to start first and which 1 to follow up after that. So i am stuck here. Dunno that want to do up a simple home can be frustating. Wifey oso stress up already. Now i tried to ask for quotes from few of the contractor that was recommended here too. Usually how long will they get back to me for the quotation and how long will my renovation takes based on the list of what i wanted to do above? Hope sum1 can enlighten me on this issue? Thanks

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Pls don't get chew, heard expensive.

I have just engaged an ID and am very frustrated too bcos have been looking around for coming to 6 weeks and could not get a desire one. Therefore we engage one that with good service but a little bit pricey.

I don't really agree to it's charges as I feel that most of the work is expensive/ overcharged. But really have no luck to get a good and affordable one.

Just shop more and do not hurry. Do not buy things recommended by them as they earn commission even though it is promotion/ offer items.

Reno is not that straight forward, get a responsible one. So, I keep telling my self that high price I am paying is for good service, must have some iq. No choice.

Some ID recommended here aren't really good as what they claimed as I met them and some I saw ttheir owner's house, the kind of cabinet these ID provided is very cheepo.

Window grille is quite straight forward, u could just check out he price and get it done without ID.

For kitchen cabinet, do get ID as needed to do piping.

The measurement for kitchen cabinet is $110 per foot.for kitchen top, can try solid surface as it is the cheapest but it has pros.

For kitchen sink, u could get ss steel & Genova kitchen sink c/w ss rack & chopping board, 802mm width if I remember correctly from diy bathroom & fan for $240. Look for Ann 97772285.

For fan, Hob & hood, can get from Jerome 92256638.

Furniture, can get from lister 62697887 ( do negotiate with him, usually he could offer very good price eventhough for promotion item)

This is what I could help.

Hi Charmainecc, thanks for sharing. Yup agreed that chew interior is on the high side. As for window grille already got a quote from direct supplier but the difference not much from the quote that i just got from a contractor. Right now already received 2 quotation from contractors recommended here. Will wait for another 1 before i decide. For kitchen appliances all purchase already. Got those cheap cheap 1 only.

Ok received 3 quotes from 3 contractors. Shall not name them here la. Contractor A 1st quote thru email was $8.8K but when go to our place to do discuss and take actual measurement the quote went up to $11.6K. Was quite pushy too. Ask we to do this do that. Contractor B 1st quote thru email was $9.2K. Same thing ask him to come over our place to discuss and take actual measurement and final quote was $9.5K. Contractor C 1st quote thru email was $$10.7K. Never meet up contractor C coz wifey too tired to meet up anymore contractor. Finally me and wifey decided to take contractor B coz he wasnt as pushy as contractor A and of course its the lowest quote that we got. Met with contractor B again last nite to sign the contract. Told us will start work on monday such as do up the cabinet base and measure the window grilles and window and measure mirrors too. Time frame given to us was everything will be completed by end of this month. Hopefully all will goes well. Will post pic as the reno progress

its been smooth journey for my reno up till now..window grille, mirror and l-box all done up.

I must say this contractor quite effecient. kitchen cabinet will be installed by wednesday.

so far all the worksmanship looks good to me. Left with the kitchen

cabinet before i can finally put up my review of this contractor.

really have to salute this contractor. He delivers all those things tat he promised me.

Now only left with the solid top installation which he said will be this saturday.

Now i can even move in to my new house early. 2 thumbs up for this contractor.