Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ultimax

How Long To Rectify Defects?

Hello,

We've moved in for a few weeks and slowly defects are surfacing. I suppose this is to be expected because you won't notice all of them in the final walkthrough. We have a one year warranty for defects after our renovations. The contract specifies they will be rectified within a "reasonable time."

What's "reasonable time"? It's been over a month since the defects were reported.

And is it acceptable for the ID to keep postponing the date and making promises which are not kept? I mean by itself that's already not right, but the industry is so unregulated, I'm wondering if that's the norm post reno, after they've already been paid, and you have no more leverage over them, so they boh hiew you.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hello,

We've moved in for a few weeks and slowly defects are surfacing. I suppose this is to be expected because you won't notice all of them in the final walkthrough. We have a one year warranty for defects after our renovations. The contract specifies they will be rectified within a "reasonable time."

What's "reasonable time"? It's been over a month since the defects were reported.

And is it acceptable for the ID to keep postponing the date and making promises which are not kept? I mean by itself that's already not right, but the industry is so unregulated, I'm wondering if that's the norm post reno, after they've already been paid, and you have no more leverage over them, so they boh hiew you.

This is what owners are scared of. Once you paid fully, they boh hiew u already. That is why it is important to engage a good ID or Contractor. There are many cases of such incident happening already.

In ur case, if you said u reported to them and nth has been done over a month, this is taking too long already.

This is what owners are scared of. Once you paid fully, they boh hiew u already. That is why it is important to engage a good ID or Contractor. There are many cases of such incident happening already.

In ur case, if you said u reported to them and nth has been done over a month, this is taking too long already.

contractor also scare that after completed, owner boh hiew the balance payment :P

Thanks for your replies.

In my case, I was always prompt with payment. Even though the payment terms were in their favour and sometimes they only gave me a few days notice. I also didn't hound them constantly with questions/updates etc. I trusted them. In that sense, I was a model client. But in the end, still kena makan.

That's one reason why I'm pretty mad with the ID. I honoured my end of the deal, but they aren't doing the same on their end.

The lesson I've learnt (the hard way) is that in this industry, doesn't pay to be nice. So much for "give and take." If you don't insist on looking out for your own interest, you will be taken advantage of.

Sad that there's no more honour and that a handshake is now meaningless, promises are useless :(