Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hawkenobi

Sharing New Approach To Renovate New Homes.

Hi,

Just wanna share a new way that we all could approach our renovation for our new homes

with a method that protect us as the customer from rogue contractors who over charges

for their services.

I have got my flat early in the year, met a guy who does design consultancy for home owners

and offices. He sold me the idea that most renovation customer looks for multiple interior

design company for quotation and this workflow does not protect the customer. Well, firstly

the interior designer works for the contractor, so it would not benefit a designer working with

the builder to protect the client. Secondly, he asked me the question ... how could I determine

that one quote is cheaper than the other since it's based on different design? Moreover

many contractor does not produce drawings just to save cost and therefore no "black and white"

on the final result of your renovation.

He offer me the consultancy method where the designer is not affiliated to the contractor and

does not receive any commission, because I can choose my own contractor based on the

one design he and I have worked out. The design proposal was drawn out in detail and in 3D

perspective so it could be sent out for multiple quotation. So instead of having multiple quotation

with different design, I can now have multiple quotation based on just one design. As you can imagine

with just one design I see quotation with difference close to SGD30,000 !! This is how over charged

most of new home owners are. Although I paid him 4000k ++ for my consultancy job with him, I am

glad I did not have issues with my renovation and he made sure that work are done properly so I

don't have to manage the site myself, and be concerned about the technical terms or my contractor

removing or adding items unnecessarily.

Just wanna share and this may help new home owner consider this new way of working so

we don't have to become trapped like some of my friends in contractor vs client conflicts.

He is a singaporean and has got a website boxwerx.com and if you are interested you can PM me

and I will hand you his contact number.

Best of luck,

Timothy Tay

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request