Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
anaidross

Marble Flooring Vs Homogenious Tiles

Dear all

Kindly bear with a beginner's excitement.

I want to renovate my recently purchased resale HDB flat (120 sqm). I am still at the planning stage as keys have not yet been handed over.

As I grew up in a flat with marble flooring, I love it very much, especially how it takes heat away on a hot day, and would like to have it in my own flat.

I would like to have flooring which looks like this:

http://imgur.com/JkaI0oL

However, people are telling me that marble is way too expensive and I should use homogenous tiles.

Does anyone know how much would marble costs (tiles and work) vs homogenous tiles for about 100 sqm of flooring?

Also, does homogenous tiles have the type of design I am looking for?

Appreciate your kind advices.

Edited by anaidross

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi..

Welcome to days of excitement!

Like you, I too started doing some research on marble and granite options and published my findings in my t-blog. You can find the info here in below link:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/66174-5-rm-resale-dream-home-project-strathmore/

Hope you find the info useful.

Good luck.

you should budget for marble, its a worth while investment, since it can be polish whenever its dull.

thou the price is high, but its value for long term

• Like 1

Hi..

Welcome to days of excitement!

Like you, I too started doing some research on marble and granite options and published my findings in my t-blog. You can find the info here in below link:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/66174-5-rm-resale-dream-home-project-strathmore/

Hope you find the info useful.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. You will have a new fan for your blog....:)

Good luck with your search and thank you for helping blaze the trail.

• Like 1

you should budget for marble, its a worth while investment, since it can be polish whenever its dull.

thou the price is high, but its value for long term

Could you help me by offering an indication how much should one budget for for a 5-room flat? I want to do both bedrooms and living room. I think the space is about 100sqm in total.

Edited by anaidross

Could you help me by offering an indication how much should one budget for for a 5-room flat? I want to do both bedrooms and living room. I think the space is about 100sqm in total.

Marble (cut from slab) has vast pricing range.

It can range from 15 psf to 200 ++ psf.

normally it will be helpful to budget around 20+ psf for marbles ( this exclude installation charges)

100 sqm look big, does this include toilets, utility room and kitchen?

Hi,

One more thing you need to be aware on marble costing:

1. Inaddition to the cost of marble there is

2. Sealant cost (to seal all sides to arrest the porous, water seeping etc,). It is approx. $1.50 psf

3. Dry laying cost (to check the layout in warehouse for connecting the running pattern in the marbles to make it pleasing for the eye after installation at home) Is it approx. $ 1.20 psf.

4. Laying cost. It will be $ 4-6 psf.

Marble is worth going for living/dining.

For bedrooms, somehow I don't find that marble adds to the homely feel. Bedrooms are suppose to be warm feel, not a cold feel. Warm feel means timber flooring.

Personally, for bedrooms, I would go for a glossy homogeneous tile border of 300mm. Centre is the timber floor, and timber skirting. This is the best design that gives the warm feel but yet the corners/edges are not dark feeling.

Hi,

One more thing you need to be aware on marble costing:

1. Inaddition to the cost of marble there is

2. Sealant cost (to seal all sides to arrest the porous, water seeping etc,). It is approx. $1.50 psf

3. Dry laying cost (to check the layout in warehouse for connecting the running pattern in the marbles to make it pleasing for the eye after installation at home) Is it approx. $ 1.20 psf.

4. Laying cost. It will be $ 4-6 psf.

Just want to check if you were able to secure the laying cost of $4-6 psf? That was the approximate price range that the marble seller quoted too but I was never able to find that laying price outside.

Just want to check if you were able to secure the laying cost of $4-6 psf? That was the approximate price range that the marble seller quoted too but I was never able to find that laying price outside.

. I doubt so also

The cost will be towards 15 Psf more or less inclusive of waterproof

Hi people,

could i check if you have any contacts for repairing old marble floors?

our old house HDB have holes on the floor here and there and would like to have a professional help on it.