Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
safetyfirst

Advice On Wooden Blinds?

Hi all,

I am currently thinking to install wooden/pvc wooden blinds for my new place. I was asking around and was told that wooden blinds or pvc wood blinds will not last if the location of the blinds is hit by direct morning or afternoon sun. I was subsequently advised to use either roller blinds or cloth curtains instead.

While I find the advice possibily true, I still prefer wooden blinds. i would appreciate if anyone can share your experience on using wodden blinds, especially those under direct sunlight.

Thanks in advance!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

HI,

Just some advice for u.

For wooden blinds , the effort to maintain will be much higher compare to roller blind as it tend to collect dust on the wooden slats. As for the downside of roller blind will be the tendency not to open your window fully due to the wind blowing and knocking the blinds on the window grilles or panels.

regards,

jpcool

I agree that slatted blinds are more high maintenance...will need to dust it often.

However, I really like the look of it more than roller blinds defo. I've had 5 blinds for my 5 rooms in different apartment so far. I like it because it looks sleek. 3 of the blinds were those aluminium(?) kind and 2 were wooden kind. Both also very swee. All but 1 were from IKEA (but now IKEA doesn't sell anymore, so sad! they were really super cheap). So, gotta bear with it I guess.

There is a shop doing those bamboo blinds at the very end of Jalan Besar there. It's on the left side, after the bus stop there. I can't recall the shop name offhand but if you just walk all the way past the food centre, it's right there. Before the road turns left to the 'thieves market' stretch.

Young man tending to the shop (not the PRC workers) seems very nice and knowledgeable. The prices seemed reasonable, like $9/sq ft for the upper end ones. And about $6/sq ft for the mid range. Also got bamboo chicks type. I get the feeling that their prices are way cheaper than those curtain shops... because I have asked at curtain shops in Clementi and TPY before (those shops under the block), they quoted me like $600 :no:

If anyone has ever made with these guys at Jalan Besar, please give a review? I may want to make in the future, if their quality is good... Thanks! :)

Dear all, this is to alert everyone to avoid Hong Sin Furnishing at all COST! Contacts given by friend but the sales person is absolutely crap! She over measured my place and gave me so much trouble to open the door for them 3 times just to install and re-do the blinds. Then when it come to payment, she didn't make good of what she had over-measured. When I ask her shouldn't she charge me based on the item that was delivered, she said "sorry, same because they had to come to my place 3 times to make good and each time the transport is $40." Excuse me! Why should I be paying for your mistakes???? WT*!!!! Then when i reason with her, she still got the cheek to tell me she charge me only $7.50 psf (in actual fact, she charged me $8 including strap). Then I told her another vendor also quote $7.50 lor. She really think her price is so effing competitive. If you over measure and tell your customer you charge us $7.50, this is freaking ROBBERY! In the end, she only make good for 5 inches (deducted $30 which I also dunnoe how she calculated) that she over measured when in actual fact, she had over measured a total of 12 inches! My total bill was $1560 for 2 bedroom! Some of the ID company uses them, my advice is go direct to one strongly recommended by fellow forummers. Otherwise, you will just be paying alot MORE!

Edited by minimalistic