Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
nirvani

Simple & Natural - Japan Theme 4 Room

After months of reading the renovation experiences of everyone, its about time to start my own T-Blog.

8 unsuccessful BTO attempts later, we decided to pay more and get a resale 4 room flat, planned to be ready just before our big day next year. We like Japanese aesthetics and the simple and practical lifestyle in cramped spaces, and have decided this to be our theme. The style is called "Simple & Natural" and is a mix of scandinavian with traditional Japanese aesthetics and design. The rules of this style are light woods, white or light coloured walls and fabrics. There will be one accent colour and a small touch of greenery in the form of mini potted plants.

At least, thats the idea. Since I will be executing this by myself without the help of an ID, I'm hoping it turns out well.

First off, our floor plan.

9HuagWm.png

We will likely get our keys in Q1 next year, so there's a good number of weeks before we begin our renovations.

Edited by nirvani

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Some ideas from my research.. I take my materials from Japanese interior design books.

bdpiwsy.jpg

The rules of Simple & Natural style. Understand the key items!

5ZOwbtv.jpg

Edited by nirvani

We approached quite a number of IDs, but in the end we decided we will probably not engage any, as most of them are not able to provide any innovative ideas or design. There is only one ID whom we feel satisfies our criteria and understand the concept we are going for, but regrettably due to budget constraints we have decided more or less to do it ourselves and engage a non ID renovation contractor for our works. Hope this is the right choice. **Will post our shortlisted ID at a later date**

Below is a review of the IDs we went to, in no particular order. I will update this post as I remember them so do check back frequently for updates.

Contacted through Renotalk RFQ

Artisan Space (KIV)

Extremely affordable quote. Went down to see their workmanship and it is alright to me. Only downside is the ID is not really an ID. The design is done by an in-house designer. Also, design is quite standard, not really very modern sort. Components used also not exactly the top notch kind. If we were going for basic no frills renovation, this will be our top choice due to the excellent price. KIVed for minor renovation works.

96 Degree (KIV)

Not bad, ID stayed back alone on a rainy Sunday afternoon to meet me. Quite a fair quote and might explore further if I need to do minor works and cannot get a satisfactory contractor.

9 Creation

Went down to a flat they completed. Workmanship ok, but I noticed paint splotches at the edges of their built in carpentry. The owners are already staying inside and how they can accept that is beyond me. Didn't the painters mask the carpentry before doing their painting? Quote wasn't exactly the cheapest as well.

S.K.Y Creation

Got a canned message from their CEO saying we can go down to their showroom anytime to get a quote. When we went they didn't seem particularly interested in serving us. We communicated our requirements anyway and got a quote. Not exactly the cheapest, although they do list down all their itemised pricings in a huge pdf file.

Urban Design

Postponed our appointment two times in a single day, wasting my precious Saturday. I shudder to think what would happen if I engage such an ID. Decided not to meet.

Contacted by ourselves

Meter Square

Met up with the ID and communicated our requirements and budget, which I said was 40k. Was told I would get a quote the following week but didn't hear back at all. Messaged the ID 3 weeks later but she never bothered to even reply to that. I guess our budget and project is not worth her time.

The Design Practice

Sent email, didn't reply back to me at all. Maybe they don't do HDB flat?

Rezt & Relax

The ID spent a lot of time with us and worked on the quote to try to match our budget. We like the quality and workmanship as well. However, the quote was just too high. Moreover, ideas presented seem to be 90% like the other units in their portfolio. Didn't see any new ideas they can offer.

Ciseern

Always at the home shows. Quotes are not really cheap, although quality (at least their showroom) seems fine. Don't think this company is within our budget.

Edited by nirvani

We got most of our stuff from Scanteak. I know teak isn't exactly in line with our theme, but we just couldn't pass up solid wood furniture at those promotional prices. Besides, its really hard to find light oak furniture in Singapore. I came across Hommage Lifestyle and would have gotten the complete set of their Japanese furniture, if I had not already bought all of these! Argh... :bangwall:

Scanteak Flip TV Console

The only piece we bought from Scanteak that isn't solid wood. Should I change this for the Prologue range TV console? We still have some time to decide...

50039_FILIP_180SB_-_424.jpg

Scanteak Slank Dining Table 150cm

20317SLANKdiningtable424.jpg

Scanteak Kontour Chair

Bought 2 pieces, comes with free seat cushions.

20823_KONTUR_424.jpg

Scanteak Prologue Duo Bench

Originally intended to get all Prologue range, but after seeing it in person, decided that some of the items like the sofa were too small. If we had a 3 room BTO I would probably buy the range.

In the end, the bench was the only thing from Prologue that we got.

21016_Duo_Bench_424.jpg

Scanteak Lifestyle Display Unit

Intending to place this in front of the main entrance, since we have no more budget to engage ID to do a customised partition. This was bought on promo price. We'll see what happens.

display-unit-424.jpg

Coria Sofa

Excellent sofa which is 1m deep for some lazy lounging in front of the TV. The sofa can be completely re-upholstered by yourself, and we paid $100 for an extra set of fabric in a different colour.

Coria-Sofa-Front-Charcoal.jpg

Edited by nirvani

Due to the constant year end sales, we have gone ahead to purchase most of our appliances!

Hitachi R-SF45DMS 6-Door Fridge

Always wanted to have a cool Japanese 6 door fridge and now I bought it. Bought during Harvey Norman sale and came with a Hitachi rice cooker and a Hitachi stand fan!

R-SF45DMS.png

Hitachi MRO-AV200E Superheated Steam Oven

Bought during Harvey Norman sale for quite a good price. Also came with a free Hitachi vaccum cleaner.

AV200E.jpg

LG WD-14A8FDS5 9KG Steam Washer

This comes with steam wash which we want for the ability to kill germs.

medium02.jpg

EF FDR-106S Dryer

We were told this is exactly the same as the Elba branded one and is made in England. We got this as we just want a simple and cheap dryer.

ef_front_load_dryer_fdr_106_s_.jpg

Spin Savannah Fan

When we went down to the showroom, we were told that they are out of stock and we have to wait for 2-3 months. No issues since we won't be needing it anytime soon so we just paid the deposit and booked it first for delivery next year. Apparently its quite popular?

3.jpg

Edited by nirvani

Allure Vinyl Flooring from Evorich

Paid deposit to overlay flooring for the entire house. Currently the flat is laid with HDB original homogenous tiles. Will be overlaying with Allure brand Markham Oak Light. Still undecided on whether to have skirting or not, as that is a difference of 1k. I don't like skirtings as I can't place furniture flush to the wall and there is always a gap where dust and little critters can hide :wacko:

Any opinions on whether we should do skirting?

725110.jpg

Edited by nirvani

Bought more stuff. Underestimated the budget we needed and the purchases just keep piling up. Before we know it we have spent 20k, and renovations haven't even started yet!

I am highly particular about water quality, therefore I decided not to compromise on the sanitary fittings. Additionally, it is a pain and will cause more to fix leaks from a lousy tap. Mixers are something you use daily and I think it pays to get a good one.

Grohe Euphoria shower system with thermostatic mixer

For the master bathroom. Promo price quite good, so I grab :)

27296001.gif

Grohe New Tempesta Shower and Eurosmart shower mixer for the common bathroom

28436001.gif

Grohe Eurosmart Basin Mixer x2 for the basins

eurosmart-single-lever-basin-mixer.jpg

Edited by nirvani

How can a house be Japanese themed without an electronic bidet? This is one of the must haves for me, and it was actually the very first purchase I made. I cash and carried and its now taking up space in my bedroom. :wacko:

After checking with a number of IDs and contractors (all of whom say different things!), I thought that my dream of having an electronic bidet would never materialise... until I saw this battery operated one. No power supply is needed, and it comes with all the functions of a powered bidet, except for seat and water heating and a dryer. Good enough for me.

Coway BA17 Bidet

BA-17.jpg

Edited by nirvani

Paid deposit on Hunter Douglas replica sheer fabric blinds, by a brand called Woorichang. Price is reasonable and actually comparable to if I do higher end curtains.

The picture shown below is from Hunter Douglas but it looks exactly like it. Style can be chosen when the guys take the site measurement and according to the salesperson he will advise us on style and colours when he view our place.

Woorichang WIN.US Blinds

HEADER%20_Alustra_FL_Soft_White.jpg

How can a hoouse be Japanese themed without an electronic bidet? This is one of the must haves for me, and it was actually the very first purchase I made. I cash and carried and its now taking up space in my bedroom. :wacko:

After checking with a number of IDs and contractors (all of whom say different things!), I thought that my dream of having an electronic bidet would never materialise... until I saw this battery operated one. No power supply is needed, and it comes with all the functions of a powered bidet, except for seat and water heating and a dryer. Good enough for me.

Coway BA17 Bidet

BA-17.jpg

Hihi, may I know where did you purchase your bidet and how much does it cost you? Everyone looked at me with a look of disapproval whenever I mentioned about my intention of having a bidet!

• Like 1

Hihi, may I know where did you purchase your bidet and how much does it cost you? Everyone looked at me with a look of disapproval whenever I mentioned abou my intention of having a bidet!

You can get it from Ideal Merchandise near lavender. It's 300+. They specialize in bidets and even have the Toto ones. I would get but I'm not planning to run power to the bathrooms so can only go for manual or battery operated one.

Bidet is common in Japan and Korea but somehow people don't take to it here.. I think you can save a lot of toilet paper by using it and it's cleaner too.

Edited by nirvani

• Like 1

Brought the exact same bidet from Ideal 2 yrs back. Still going strong and working well. One of my best investment!

Thanks its good to know! BTW, do you change the water filter and if so, where do you buy it?

Purchased the following items for kitchen from Hoe Kee..

Blanco Metra 9 Composite Sink

Also got a metal sponge tray and a bamboo chopping board which integrates nicely with the sink. Can't wait to see it installed.

BLANCO_METRA_9.jpg

Blanco Mida Composite Sink Mixer

Goes well with the sink.

03896502.jpg

Bosch Serie 4 90cm Slimline Hood

Its a telescopic hood which slides in to be flush with the kitchen cabinet. Extraction rate isn't really good but we don't plan to cook much anyway and its on offer.

MCSA00650106-DHI923GSG-def.jpg

Bosch Serie 2 Gas Hob

Also on Bosch year end offer.. ok price for a branded appliance, similarly priced to regular brands. The knobs are stainless steel and the trays are fully removable to make cleaning easy. Only comes in black tempered glass.

MCSA00496035-106845-PBD7231SG-def.jpg