Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
irenequek

Help On Pvc Lining Peeling Off At Kitchen Cabinet

My renovation was completed 3 months ago. After boiling water for 10 minutes, the pvc lining at the top hung kitchen cabinet peel off and the gum "expanded" at the base of the cabinet.

I did not install a hood (did not have one in previously too). Contractor said no hood will cause heat to melt the glue and suggest to change to aluminium frame tinted glass doors and adding a stainless steel at the bottom of those sections. I did not agree as they don't complement the rest of the cabinet doors.

Any expert advise on a better solution.

Thank you

Irene

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

One question. Why would the gum at the bottom expand? Hot air rises, it shouldn't affect the bottom part of your cabinet. sounds fishy.

what PVC lining are you talking about?

The glue "expanded" is the bottom part of the top hung cabinet. What's the better alternative compared to changing cabinet door to aluminium frame?

Not sure how to post pictures

20150111 195253 resized

20141122 075233 resized

20141122 073632 resized

I am not a hood guy and when I was planning to reno my house a few years back, I had also planned to have top hung cabinets and no hood. But my contractor also advise me to install a hood to protect the cabinets. I took the contractor's advise as he was a friend of my father.

In your case, I can see that it is not really an option to install a hood anymore. I suggest you install the stainless steel sheet. If the S/S color don't compliment with your cabinet (looks like white to me), get the contractor to use aluminium and power coated to the color that match with your cabinets. My suggestion only.

Good luck.

My typo error, should be powder coat. They can be scratch but are more resistant than paint.

The doors directly above the hob should also be change.

Guest Loy Loongtak

morning irenequek , can i ask how many door is affected with the loosing of band? the simplest way is gluing back the band.