Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
airbbb

[Savings] Importing Counter Top And Tv Console Top (Marble/quartz) From China

Anyone tried importing their our own marble/quartz top from Taobao/China? What were the challenges faced?

I plan to splurge on stone tops for kitchen, toilet and tv console.

The installation seems relatively straight forward for made to measure pre-cut tops:

http://www.bobvila.com/sections/tv-shows/projects/11-modern-colonial/episodes/131-kitchen-cabinetry-and-countertops/videos/1091398857001-installing-marble-kitchen-countertops#.VTBB4V1kqLM

Anyone with experience doing this?

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.1998246701.6.MJ4DfD&scm=1007.10152.5719.0i44349832325&id=44350036087&pvid=7f9a0821-19bf-4346-a177-1488276955c2

http://www.djcargo.net/fcl/c1.htm

Edited by airbbb

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Marble is fragile. Quartz isn't so but still relatively fragile. Marble can be damaged with a sharp impact, an aspect that's not within your control during transporation. Viewing both materials physically vs photos can be very different eg grains and direction of patterns. Finally, if there are defects in the delivered material, will the seller honor a replacement and how long would it take? An example from personal experience, I purchased my quartz top locally. After installation, I noticed a small defect in a moderately noticeable area. The entire 7ft slab was immediately removed and replaced within days with no questions asked. No delay to my reno.

Imo, the savings are not worth the risks involved for something that is going to be fixed in your home for long term.

Thanks for the input.

I'm actually not so picky. As long as it's not a huge cracking line or the slab broken into 2, I'm fine. I have plans to do a trip to China to the huge malls to ensure I get the good piece shipped to my logistics center before continuing my holiday there.

Anyone has tips on how to pack these slabs in my container with other furniture?

Guest Vincent Lee

Thanks for the input.

I'm actually not so picky. As long as it's not a huge cracking line or the slab broken into 2, I'm fine. I have plans to do a trip to China to the huge malls to ensure I get the good piece shipped to my logistics center before continuing my holiday there.

Anyone has tips on how to pack these slabs in my container with other furniture?

Use Peeka. Just make sure that your supplier packs them properly and crate them up.

Use Peeka. Just make sure that your supplier packs them properly and crate them up.

A 1m3 cost $302. Have you use them before? How was the experience?

Guest Vincent Lee

A 1m3 cost $302. Have you use them before? How was the experience?

I've used them many times. Delivery typical takes 2 weeks + - 3 days. They actually repack some of the smaller items into their own box so extra protection :good:

I have attached some photos of their shipment to me.

17271936932_c7ac7dd709_c.jpg

17066303647_6144a472c2_c.jpg

17086195800_17024a6b7b_c.jpg

Edited by Vincent Lee

Guest Vincent Lee

Is this their China warehouse where they box up your pallet with the wooden planks?

This is actually my warehouse because my house is under reno so I deliver everything to my warehouse first. The crates have to be requested from your seller as Peeka don't provide crating service. So before ordering, make sure that your seller understand that they must pack and crate the goods and also make sure that they can delivery to doorstep instead of collection from collection point. I encountered one such issue and it caused alot of delays so make sure they can delivery the bulky items to the doorstep of Peeka warehouse.

What did you buy? Wardrobe would be great savings since local carpentry easily cost $2-4k. The fixing up of some furniture can be nightmare.

Guest Vincent Lee

What did you buy? Wardrobe would be great savings since local carpentry easily cost $2-4k. The fixing up of some furniture can be nightmare.

Well. I bought many things like beds, shelves, study tables, CCTVs, server racks, lightings, bathroom fixtures, bathtubs, carpets, photo frames, etc.. Too many to list, for the furnitures, I am getting my contractor to fix it up so not much of an issue. I did not get wardrobes as I wanted to make a full height wardrobe so no choice

• Like 1

Well. I bought many things like beds, shelves, study tables, CCTVs, server racks, lightings, bathroom fixtures, bathtubs, carpets, photo frames, etc.. Too many to list, for the furnitures, I am getting my contractor to fix it up so not much of an issue. I did not get wardrobes as I wanted to make a full height wardrobe so no choice

Hello! Could I check how was the quality of their bathtub from taobao? I'm thinking of getting one too but worried about the quality though..

Guest Vincent Lee

Hello! Could I check how was the quality of their bathtub from taobao? I'm thinking of getting one too but worried about the quality though..

Well... the bathtub is still in my warehouse so I couldn't tell you what's the quality like but since most of the bathtubs in Singapore are made in china anyway so quality should be ok. Just make sure that you choose to buy from a seller with good reviews on their quality.

So many items why not get your own container instead of Peeka?

Guest Vincent Lee

So many items why not get your own container instead of Peeka?

Because these items still not enough to fill a container. A container cost me 2.5k but till date after 4 shipments from Peeka, my delivery cost is still less than 1k sgd.