Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi there!

I need some advice, after selecting a ID.

The total agreed reno price is 48k. I paid 30% deposit already (upon contract confirmation).

The next step is 20% upon commencement of work, but before that what is it supposed to take place?

The ID is asking me to pay the second payment however he has not yet sent me the revised 3D pix. Also he come to meet me with a manually drawn layout plan whereas others ID provide computerized layout.

I think it would be clearer to both parties to agree on layout first and sign it off before starting the work.

But then he argues that he has to apply for renovation permit and it takes time.

Can you help me understand in what order are to be the steps and payment.

I have the impression that this guy is asking for money without making sure that we all agree on the renovation to be carried out.

Can I also change my mind and choose another ID, if so what am I supposed to pay to the first guy? (He said I have 45 days to change my mind).

Appreciate your guidance!

Thanks,

CW

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi there!

I need some advice, after selecting a ID.

The total agreed reno price is 48k. I paid 30% deposit already (upon contract confirmation).

The next step is 20% upon commencement of work, but before that what is it supposed to take place?

The ID is asking me to pay the second payment however he has not yet sent me the revised 3D pix. Also he come to meet me with a manually drawn layout plan whereas others ID provide computerized layout.

I think it would be clearer to both parties to agree on layout first and sign it off before starting the work.

But then he argues that he has to apply for renovation permit and it takes time.

Can you help me understand in what order are to be the steps and payment.

I have the impression that this guy is asking for money without making sure that we all agree on the renovation to be carried out.

Can I also change my mind and choose another ID, if so what am I supposed to pay to the first guy? (He said I have 45 days to change my mind).

Appreciate your guidance!

Thanks,

CW

from what I had gather recently, normally need only 10-20% deposit and 3D drawing will be out.another 20% when material are ready and so on. Some even agreed to start 3D with only 1k deposit. Never agreed with further payment until his ideal or 3D drawing are out and you have agreed with his design.

My curious, didn't you agreed or check with him on the 3D and payment stage before you signed the agreement ?

If u already had conflict with the ID, mostly the whole process of your renovation will not be too good. so it will be better for u to change another ID. As for deposit, should be able to take it back. if u had paid the 20%, u may not get back full amount.

Hi,

The payment terms (50% paid upon commencement) is ridiculous and you ID probably realize that as well. I suggest you renegotiation with your ID and settle on a new payment term. If he disagree, take this issue to CASE as this is clearly unethical practice. NOTE: The new payment term should have a final withholding payment (around 20% contract value), which will be withheld even after the completion of the entire project. You will only pay the remaining 20% if you are satisfied with the work done (after moving in for about 1 month).

I hope this helps.