Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
xand

Home Appliances - For How Long Do They Last?

What's a reasonable time after which you should expect your home appliances to fail?

I have a fridge which is dying (after 3-4 years), and a washing machine/dryer which has... difficulties (same age).

Is this normal?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

For equipment and machinery if it is being service and re condition periodically it should extend the lifespan slightly. However, there is something call mean time before failure (mtbf). In other words, the product is being built with a time frame in mind for example 7 years. It does not mean it will break down at year 7 it also has a chance of breaking down since day 1.

More and more products are getting shorter and shorter mtbf, and certainly even on a recent Japan trip, I was told that Japanese product are shortening their mtbf. However, there are still some very good made in Japan, Germany, U.S. Etc which are very reliable.

A lot of these depends on the strategy of the manufacturing plant.

Maybe you can share with us the brand.

The life span of an appliance depends mainly on its quality and you could get more details by seraching for reviews of products provided by a particular brand that you are planning to buy. I had brought a security alarm for my new home based on several alarm company rating reviews obtained. This actually helped me find the best one in terms of money, life span and its rating.