Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
skoh

Do Not Engage This Id

Would like to share my experience on home renovation specifically about the interior design company and interior designer engaged to renovate my 4-room HDB flat.

In one word, it was a dreadful experience altogether!

This interior design company is N*******t which is quite a big player in the industry and the designer is DK (abbrev.). This young chap DK really CMI (cannot make it) notwithstanding that he is inexperienced. He is slow to respond to my messages and his co-ordination skills (like which activities to be done first, etc) is terrible. Eg, the wall esp where the air-con will be placed needs to be painted before the air-con can be installed. Told him but still did not get workers to paint that area. This is basic and he cannot even do it!

There are many many incidents that pushed me to write my experience in order to share them via this forum with to-be home owners looking for trustable designer and firm to renovate their homes. This designer practically took 4 months to complete the major works….7 months to tie up the loose ends. Is this acceptable? Well, in this industry, the consumers are always very much at the losing end. Even before I signed the contract with the firm, I tried to negotiate adding extra clauses that will safeguard my interests but the designer was reluctant.

Another experience with the designer/firm was that the quality of the workmanship (carpentry work) and goods (windows) are of sub-standard. Eg, Basic stainless steel windows (read carefully, it’s normal stainless steel windows only and not even powdered coated) the colour of the windows was off (colour not even), sharp edges, gaps, etc were found and was told to the designer. Very basic windows and little did I imagine there are so many defects!!! No discolouration, no gaps, no sharp edges are basic requirements. Am I right? They (or their window contractor cannot even supply such) and insisted I have very high standard! Gosh! And the best is that they (designer and contractor and even the designer’s boss) replied: Even your fingers are of different length! (implying no perfection!) Come on, I am not asking for the moon…just asking for the basic standard! My friends who came by during the renovation period told me…this standard of work done you can still accept?!

The very basic that a designer should be cautious of is to protect the floor that has been lay. And again this designer did not! No protection and you expect the flooring be in good condition?! Is it so difficult to do that? Not only has he indirectly tarnished the company image (not that his company’s image is still that reputable) he has also caused the company financial losses (in the form of discount)! Of course, these impacts are none of my business.

To homeowners who are sourcing for ID, please do think twice about engaging this interior designer/firm for your renovation works…the story doesn’t end here…there are many more unacceptable and bad experiences that this designer has left upon me. In short, the service, quality and workmanship by this company, designer and the sub-contractors are way below standard, most importantly, this designer CMI!!! PM me if you would like to know more about the company and designer.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Wth. That sucks. Can I ask though, what made you choose him at the beginning? Were these issues that were obvious from the start? Cos I met a very noob ID also, and he's been seriously pushy about asking us to be his client. But he also cannot make it la. More on it on my blog, if you wanna know. Sorry to hear about the sucky experience!

Fa,

thisbtotrendmustdie.wordpress.com

Let me have a go at this.

The company is *?

Personally never really fancy package deals or combo deals especially when it comes to renovations.

Too many factors will contribute to the downfall or the end results.

Given any big ID company, most IDs works on a comms basis, say get a percentage of the profit after cost.

They have their own team of contractors, own team does not mean under ID's company employment.

More often than not, these contracters are owned months of payment, due to credit terms.

So contracters cant decline job in order to receive due payments but may fail to deliver quality due to lousy payments.

Anyway, if TS can back up with photos and details of problem, may help us to understand better.

The contractor that hired by my id also didnt lay protective sheet on the floor. In e end there was damages on the floor. Despite e fact the id asked someone to polish the flooring but there were still scratches and dents that couldn't remove. They are forever there. E id asked me to manage expectation. I was very furious with him. If measures have taken to protect the flooring when installing carpentry work, such things will not happen.

I had to check the defects and rectification all by myself.

e id even ask me to stand in his shoes to think. Excuse me I pay him to talk to me in this manner.

I signed with this id was because he is strongly recommended by one of the renotalk forum member. But it turns out to be a huge disappointment

Edited by intonewlife