Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
shibumi

Handspray Tap Outlet Leaking Despite Measures Taken

Hi fellows. I changed the default tap outlet that came with my toilet handspray tap to another type of adaptor so that I can connect, i.e. screw in, a handspray to use. What's perplexing to me is that the areas (seams) where the new adaptor joins the tap outlet, & where the handspray joins the adaptor, leaks/squirts water when the handspray is connected. The following video demos everything:

https://youtu.be/sDANZystt4s

This happens despite/regardless:

1. everything is tightened as much as possible
  2. I applied thread-seal ("white") tape at all areas
  3. my handspray is actually "released", i.e. water allow to flow out ("in use")
  4. whether I fully turn on the tap outlet or turn it on very so slightly only, i.e. a lot of water being received on the mains side, or very little water being pumped in
  5. all the black O-ring/water-saving thimble all installed

I just don't understand why there is still squirting. The more amazing thing is, once I reverted to the original outlet adaptor, i.e. the kind that have to be used to a rubber hose & has no external screw thread for connecting handsprays, even without thread-seal tape & full-blast main tap, also no leak! What gives?

The adaptor that I changed to is on the left; the original one that came with my tap, is on the right:

cctEj5M.jpg?1

Can assist? Or did I buy the wrong type of adaptor? But the size correct leh...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The adapter you bought does not match the tap. The threaded portion match but the internal do not. Your original has an inner wall. I believe that's why it seals correctly. The one you purchase do not have this wall, so the water is leaking out from there.

You toilet looks like new, so I assume is DBSS or BTO (if not a private). Find out from the developer what brand is the tap.

The adapter you bought does not match the tap. The threaded portion match but the internal do not. Your original has an inner wall. I believe that's why it seals correctly...

Extremely sharp observation; I have this suspicion also when I took the close-up photo of both adapters side-by-side. The original adaptor has a raised inner wall that I believe, inserts more deeply into the tap outlet & channels the water flow more robustly.

...The one you purchase do not have this wall, so the water is leaking out from there.

You toilet looks like new, so I assume is DBSS or BTO (if not a private). Find out from the developer what brand is the tap.

That's the challenging part: I bought 3 new adapters all over different heartland shops in SG; all 3 new adapters do not have a raised inner wall (obviously). I find it a bit ridiculous that there's a special version of the adapter that is specific for the type of tap outlet that my toilet came with (DBSS btw).
There's one shop that I shared my problem with, even say I forgot to put the black washer/O-ring (when obviously I did) & also convince me not to use white tape (thread-seal tape). Duh!
Now I've gotta find a special hardware shop that sells the "more special" version of the adapter that I really want... :dunno:

Ah.... DBSS!!! The type that is up to BCA standard but recently got a lot of problem reported in the news!!!

It is interesting that the DBSS developer choose to use a tap that is so unique.

Maybe to keep cost low, they (developer or supplier) had to import directly from the tap manufacturer.

Maybe to keep cost low, tap manufacturer offered them some design that they have ready-in-stock but is another 'type' (maybe meant for another continent, if not for another world/dimension).

Disclaimer:

Having said the above, I have to clarify that I am just saying 'maybe' and can be completely wrong.

It might be possible to purchase a 100% compatible adapter locally. All are welcome to correct me.

I never see your type in Singapore or Malaysia, so I don't think you can easily get a replacement.

Worst case is to remove the tap and replace with a locally available one.

And you may want to check how it is with the other accessories, just to see how 'unique' those are.

Good luck.

Al right fellows, this is gonna sound incredible, but I finally got the issue resolved.

I got the rep from the BSC to take a look & their confident solution is: not 1, not 2, but 3 washers! At first I thought it was ridiculous, i.e. stuff 3 washers in already, will there still be enough of the internal screw thread of the new adapter to screw onto the original wall outlet? But it works, no leaks even without using any thread-seal (white) tape; no leaks even when I crank the tap output to maximum & didn't release the water flow on the handspray-side.

But wait, there's more, I have 2 such wall tap outlets; I managed to solve the squirting issue in one of them by reverting to 2 (instead of 3) washers; whilst the remaining wall outlet I die die must use 3 washers.

Still, I'm very perplexed by this whole issue. Though it is resolved.

Hi, I am asking just for my general knowledge. Are you using rubber or steel washers?

Black rubber ones. Got people use those thin metal (steel) washers for plumbing purposes? I thought those are mainly for furniture?

It's just that when you use the word 'washer', steel type comes to my mind but I also thought they could be the rubber type too.