Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Carpentries - Technical Drawings

Carpentry works account for a significant part of our renovation costs and was also another area we paid a lot of attention to. Overall design while important could sometimes be let down by simple details and so detailing is something we were quite keen to get it right. Using cabinets or wardrobe as examples, simple things like how the doors/drawers should be opened, number of compartments etc actually might make a difference if we design them differently. 

We went through a few iterations with Bernard before ending up with the following technical drawings. Once endorsed and agreed, it would serve as the final specification drawings for Bernard's team of carpenters to start to fabricate the various carpentries.

Master Bedroom and Toilet

image.jpg

Plan view

- The intention is to have our wardrobe as the divider between our toilet and our bed. In the diagram above, our bed would be placed horizontal on the right section of the room with the back of the wardrobe doubling up as our bedhead. There were also some considerations around the walking space between our wardrobe and the toilet and eventually we decided to sacrifice a bit of space here to make our sleeping side longer.

image.jpg

View of the wardrobe from toilet side

image.jpg

Frontal view of the wardrobe

image.jpg

Wife's intention is to create a sleek looking functional wardrobe thus she requested for a slim perimeter border rather than something bulky

image.jpg

Side profile of the wardrobe 

image.jpg

Interior view of the wardrobe

- It is every woman's dream to have a walk-in wardrobe and it is no surprise my wife is one of them. However I managed to convince her otherwise mainly because of the unit's configuration as well as budget. As a result, while we have 3 sections of a floor to ceiling wardrobe, she basically wanted at least 2/3 of it... I managed to negotiate it to exactly 2/3 so what that eventually translate to in reality is... Two-third of the wardrobe is EXCLUSIVE hers; remaining one-third would be used to put my thing as well as any common stuff like blankets, towels, luggages, bags + 1,001 other things...

image.jpg

View from the sleeping side

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Space within the master bedroom toilet is limited and so beside putting aside an area for rain shower, the only carpentry works here are very much the cabinet below the wash basin.

image.jpg

Plan view of the toilet - We replaced 2 sides of the brick walls with glass walls to open up the space

image.jpg

View of the toilet from the bed area

image.jpg

Another view of the toilet

Dry and Wet Kitchens

image.jpg

Plan view of our dry and wet kitchen

image.jpg

View of our dry kitchen area - We pushed out the main entrance/door outwards to create a longer passageway, and at the same time allow us to put a 2-section shoe rack

image.jpg

Side view of shoe rack

image.jpg

Front view of our island, shoe rack on the left

image.jpg

View of our dry kitchen/island

image.jpg

View of our dry island looking out from the wet kitchen

image.jpg

Side view of dry island

Dry and Wet Kitchen Continued

image.jpg

View of wet kitchen looking in from service yard

image.jpg

View of of wet kitchen looking in from dry island side

image.jpg

Front view of of wet kitchen 

image.jpg

High view of the wet kitchen 

Electrical and False Ceiling 

image.jpg

image.jpg

False ceiling with cove lighting at passage way

image.jpg

False ceiling works in progress at the balcony. Rather than using lamps, we decided to create a more unique cove lighting arrangement here.

image.jpg

image.jpg

False ceiling **** room

image.jpg

False ceiling at master bedroom with a cut-out for the air conditioning 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Carpentries - Wet Kitchen

image.jpg

View of the wet kitchen carpentries from the service yard. 

image.jpg

Front view of our carpentries at stove area

image.jpg

Front view of wet kitchen looking in from the dry island side. Remember our windows at the wet kitchen side overlook down to the common corridor pathway so anyone whom passed by can actually look through our house from there if they are tall enough

image.jpg

To create some privacy, we fabricated a big wooden door to close up the view when required. This also separates the area between dry and wet kitchen.

image.jpg

Cove lightings installed at balcony 

image.jpg

Cove lightings and downlights all up in the living room. The original plan was to have wall tiles/feature wall on this side of the wall but eventually we dropped that idea to keep the cost down or at least that was my intention though I faced a lot of resistance from the wife... 

image.jpg

We went for a darker color for the wall near the dry island to create a bolder impact around the space here

image.jpg

We also tiled over the box up of what used to be exposed pipes

image.jpg

Wifey wanted stainless steel for the dry island top

image.jpg

Sink (over-mount), electric stove and oven installed

image.jpg

Wifey insisted on spray-painted carpentries for dry island and shoe rack... This meant more cost... 

image.jpg

Gas stove at wet kitchen. Carpentries for this area using laminates though

image.jpg

Sink at the wet kitchen side (under-mount)

16 hours ago, Starrain said:

Hi!

Hmm...  Interesting. Why did your wifey wanna spray paint the carpentries?:blink:

Hey @Starrain, spray paint carpentries are nothing new in the industry, just that they tends to be on the high side in terms of costs. 

Just like different grades of laminates, spray paint has its own merits and downsides. In our case, we chose spray paint for dry island and shoe rack due to its aesthetic feature in a highly visible area of the house. 

When I meant aesthetic, I was referring there is no laminate lines etc and basically it boils down to fine detailing. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

WOW! Thanks for your explanation!

I've always thought spray paint as a last resort or a D.I.Y thing.

When spoke with contractors on spray painting, and most will choose to shun away because it tend to rub off very soon. Is there ways to prevent?

I totally understand aesthetic feature is very important. Every details is the design!

It looks really pretty! :paint:

Hi,

How do u achieve the seamless effect as I believe the carpentry will have joint lines. By the way, how many layers of spray painting is needed to achieve this effect? 

Thanks.