Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jher

Water Heater too hot / too cold / no safety valve

Hi,

1. I am using this Ariston (Plus 15 or 1.5 sin) storage type water heater left over by the previous HDB owner in my master bath at the moment. I found that this water heater has a hot water outlet and a cold water inlet (with a safety valve connected to the cold water inlet). I used to have a Rheem water heater and it has a safety valve seperated from the inlet. I also googled and found most other Ariston water heaters come with seperate safety valves. So I am a bit doubtful that this safety valve works well. Any advice ? 

2. I am also using this old gas water heater ( Rinnai REU-8CG.) left over by the previous owner.  The problem with this gas water heater is it tends to get too hot or too cold when I turn the mixer lever left or right. Meaning the water heater (or the mixer ?) is a bit too sensitive. So to solve this problem I am trying to find a shower mixer that has seperate temperature adjustment and water flow adjustment controls. I googled and found one called :

"Rozin® Wall Mount Brass Thermostatic Mixing Valve for Bathroom Shower Head"

I used this type before in my previous home but didn't find it satisfactory because the temperature adjustment control stopped working in just a few months. Any recommendation on how to resolve this issue ? This gas type heater is a bit scary because whenever you turn it on you hear a loud noise coming from it. Then suddenly the naked flame you see through the glass window goes off automatically. Lastly I have to run between the kitchen and common bath to adjust the hotness of the water. So troublesome !

Thanks

C360_2016-05-31-12-39-51-871.jpg

C360_2016-05-31-02-45-29-585.jpg

C360_2016-05-31-02-45-44-600.jpg

C360_2016-05-31-02-38-11-514.jpg

Edited by jher

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

If it is not too late on your questions...

I am currently using the Ariston (same model as yours). Install it 4 years back (DIY) to replace my earlier unit (also Ariston) that started leaking. Don't worry. The valve is installed correctly thou' when I bought it, the valve was separated too. Inside the heater, the cold water pipe ends higher while the hot water pipe ends lower. If there is an over pressure in the storage tank, the pressure/steam after the water level in the storage tank will push back outwards thru the water inlet pipe and out the relief valve.

I have no experience using gas heater but did consider installing it because gas is cheaper than electricity. But after some research on internet & talks with friends & siblings using it, came to realize that the un-constant temperature of hot water supply is a known issue. Most of the ppl I know switch to instant water heater in the end.

Edited by w7_lee

I am using the Rinnai heater as you do. 

If it gets too hot, you can reduce the gas supply (yellow handle) and increase the water flow (turning knob) to max. 

The heater requires a certain water pressure to ignite itself. If you turn the mixer too much towards the cold water, which means reduced water pressure to the heater, the heater will stop burning. So there is a kind of cutoff point on your mixer. this explains why you got cold water. 

finding a sweet spot on old Rinnai is difficult in sizzling hot Singapore because it is designed for cold countries. The new design with digital control could solve the problem. 

Edited by longbow7788