Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Cloh

The simplicity

Hi hi,

I have been reading this forum for yearsss. A quiet person by nature, I started stalking t-blogs many years back - even before the first cooling measure :notti:  And Hoooray!!! We've gotten a place after SOOOOO LONG!!! Can't wait for the renovation to kick start :yeah:

We would like to share our experience and at the same time hope to receive your valuable advice as we progress...

Our Home will be a unit in Bukit Panjang. We will be relocating the family of 5 from the North to the West :blink: Here's the floor plan:

Floorplan.JPG

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Sorry for being silent for a quite awhile now as I am still trying my best to catch a breather with the overwhelming decision-making process.

I see that many of you started the t-blog with introducing the IDs... contractors... but I guess I will just skip this part as I don't really know why we ended with "him" Mr. D haha... guess is just 缘分

Alright! Let me get the ball rolling.....

The fun has begun and.. is.. is.. too OVERWHELMING!! This is the first time I did a major overhaul of a house, even though we had our current house from the open market 20 years back we did little but to settle in with the as-is condition. Because I and Hubby are getting little "younger" that we really want to fulfil our dream of having a house that we can call home (really to our liking & design) so we decided to get this unit and re-do with the little budget that we have (haha, sounds promising? we know it can be done!) J

Today, I will try my very best to write and keep a record of the whole process not only for all  to read and hopefully to receive some professional view or idea along the way from all the t-blogger here. I really appreciate your generous sharing in your t-blog which equipped me with quite a knowledge pertaining to house remodelling and there are a few t-blog that worth mentioning here which I had stolen some of your ideas quietly (being a silent reader).

Here's the update of the remodeling process..

We got a fengshui master to view the unit after our purchase and we are so lucky to have gotten a unit that suited myself and hubby's 8-zi in terms of floor and location. - 1st  Huat Ah ! :D

As it's a 奇门遁甲way of fengshui (Dont' ask me what is this as I am pretty dumb at the thermilogy that they used , to me is just Fengshui lor:lol:), the Master do not mind about ghost month. Having said that, being me (老人家)mindset I would prefer to avoid. Therefore, requested Master to give me a "Huat! " day to do a house breaking before the actual ghost month and 1st Aug was given.

1/8 - Master went with us. We stood right in the zone he has calculated, facing the powerful Bukit Timah hill that Master said where the majority Qi come from and knocked the wall for 6 times to trigger and received the 正气. Hubby did it himself after Master to complete the process - 2nd Huat Ah ! :D

As the ID/Contractor selection took us quite a while, it eventually delayed the start work till few weeks later and therefore Master advise to have another date to knock the wall again to keep triggering the 正气 so 18th Aug was the date.

18/8 - We both went without Master this time round, knocked on the living hall wall for 6 times - 3rd Huat Ah ! :D 

Some discussion with Mr.D after that to finalize the "to HACK" list and the final layout.

As Hubby is quite an organised person, we have been asking Mr.D for the timeline chart which caught him in surprise that he said no one has asked for this before as he only need to keep everyone informed in the group chat on the dates. We are quite shock to learn that but without further nego, Mr.D came out with one! Woah la! That's exactly what we need to keep track on the progress and to work thru the process.

Upon getting the timeline, Mr.D is ready to start work on 24/8 !!

To be honest, I really can't wait :P

23/8 - one day before hacking, we went up to the site to clear some stuff and again ... being (老人家)living inside me, I did some 拜拜。 拜拜地主giving blessing to the workers who works here and everything that we gonna work on this house goes without a hitch! - 4th Huat Ah ! :D

24/8 - Big Day! ... hacking started!! Yay!!

The day started off pretty quick with most walls completed within a day!! :o Didnt expect it to be done that quickly though. Below before and after hacked pics for your viewing. I wanted an open kitchen for a long long time. I am going to have it for real now!!

Is an overhaul unit of 20 years old.

Before hack after hack.JPG

Edited by Cloh
incomplete post

Hi Cloh! Finally get to read your T-blog! I'm flattered you mentioned my blog as one of those you referred to because in comparison to many of the 'masters' here in Renotalk, I'm just a newbie. 

It's great to hear you managed to squeeze a time schedule out of your contractor as I suffered through the entire period not knowing when to apply for what like some suaku. Initially when I asked the contractor and the electricians when to apply for for Netlink (ex Open-net), they all shrugged and didn't really give me an answer... kind of like "up to you". But looking back, I should've done it right after the electrical trunking and before the plastering/ painting. This would have reduced the complaints from the painters that Netlink destroyed their patching work, as Netlink contractors opened up the existing trunking to run their fiber optics or whatever those things are. At least now you are assured you can estimate when you can apply for or move things in. 

All the best for your reno and looking forward to hear more about the progress!

6 hours ago, Catt said:

Hi Cloh! Finally get to read your T-blog! I'm flattered you mentioned my blog as one of those you referred to because in comparison to many of the 'masters' here in Renotalk, I'm just a newbie. 

It's great to hear you managed to squeeze a time schedule out of your contractor as I suffered through the entire period not knowing when to apply for what like some suaku. Initially when I asked the contractor and the electricians when to apply for for Netlink (ex Open-net), they all shrugged and didn't really give me an answer... kind of like "up to you". But looking back, I should've done it right after the electrical trunking and before the plastering/ painting. This would have reduced the complaints from the painters that Netlink destroyed their patching work, as Netlink contractors opened up the existing trunking to run their fiber optics or whatever those things are. At least now you are assured you can estimate when you can apply for or move things in. 

All the best for your reno and looking forward to hear more about the progress!

Hi Catt!!! Nice to have you here !! Your blog indeed is one of the best in my personal rating :P I like the way you did up your home the way you want it! I have seen many with Erhm..... (Hope I don't offen anyone here)... Industrial team that is too commonly use that makes every house look quite the same. You did pretty well for a newbie :D !

Oh, talking about open net. We had contacted Starhub on this. They are not able to do a conceal but asked our electrician to provide a condude (pipes like trucking?) to run in the L-Box ... so case resolved for us at this stage as the Electrician already been informed of and know what to do before the plastering.

I am really thankful to your best wishes and YES!! All will be BEST :wub:

• Like 1

On 1 September 2016 at 11:27 PM, Cloh said:

Hi Catt!!! Nice to have you here !! Your blog indeed is one of the best in my personal rating :P I like the way you did up your home the way you want it! I have seen many with Erhm..... (Hope I don't offen anyone here)... Industrial team that is too commonly use that makes every house look quite the same. You did pretty well for a newbie :D !

Oh, talking about open net. We had contacted Starhub on this. They are not able to do a conceal but asked our electrician to provide a condude (pipes like trucking?) to run in the L-Box ... so case resolved for us at this stage as the Electrician already been informed of and know what to do before the plastering.

I am really thankful to your best wishes and YES!! All will be BEST :wub:

Actually, your electrician should run a concealed wire or string from the riser outside to your desired TP location inside the home.. Then when OpenNet (now called NetLink Trust) comes, they just use the wire or string to pull their fibre cable through the concealed route. If you need more info, you can check my blog.

On 06/09/2016 at 8:07 PM, kstoh said:

Actually, your electrician should run a concealed wire or string from the riser outside to your desired TP location inside the home.. Then when OpenNet (now called NetLink Trust) comes, they just use the wire or string to pull their fibre cable through the concealed route. If you need more info, you can check my blog.

Hi kstoh,

Thanks for dropping by. Yes. indeed my electrician just finished running a conduilt with jaw strings. My only worry is some ankles of the pipe may cause the pulling a difficult task to complete or even breaking the fiber cable :o.  Anyway, everything has been fixed. The guy from Open Net will be here next week. Let's see how it turns out!

** finger crossed **:)

Weeks passed so quickly. Chaotic decision making week has passed. Prior to the reno, I have spefically highlighted to D that I WANT HIGH CEILING in both toilet. At first, we thought of removing the false ceiling in both toilets. D was pretty shocked as he told us many unpleasant stuff has been hiding in the false celing.,l like aircon trucking, water pipes & etc. True enough, after removing the false ceiling, I am quite disappointed. The water pipes!! WC pipes!! from the upper floor is getting into my way :bangwall:... the highest point of my false celing will be the lowest point of the upper floor neighbour toilet pipes :angry::angry:  , don't understand the developer in making high ceiling yet can't be visualised. Sadly, I have to accept the low false celing but thankfully D understands my disappoinment and has been very cautious about the way his plumber run the pipes, aircon trunking & such. He is trying his best to give me the max that he has promised.

Gosh I know this is a very late comment but am very flattered you've listed my t-blog as inspiration as well. Hope everything goes well!

Too bad about the false ceiling, but at least everything will be nicely hidden? I didn't consider any false ceilings in my house but maybe your pipes are really distracting...

On 09/09/2016 at 10:47 AM, ricepapergirl said:

Gosh I know this is a very late comment but am very flattered you've listed my t-blog as inspiration as well. Hope everything goes well!

Too bad about the false ceiling, but at least everything will be nicely hidden? I didn't consider any false ceilings in my house but maybe your pipes are really distracting...

Hey,

Thanks for checking in. Yes! your blog sure did inspire me :) Thanks again ya for keeping the t-blog active

I though I could but find it quite hard to keep up due to the never ending to-do task :)

Edited by Cloh

It's been a while... find it quite tough to keep up with the t-blog. I really admire you guys out there who are constantly keeping the t-blog .. OK! I will try my best to keep up! Perhaps less text save some time :P

Here's some inspire photo of the island that I am hoping to have.

TableIsland1.JPG

TableIsland3.JPG

Hello Cloh! Congrats on starting on your reno & may all go smoothly for you! The number of 'Huat Ahs' you and your husband did made me giggle :P

Keeping the t-blog updated is a way to reassure myself that things are indeed moving for our home. And it helps to organize one's thoughts too!

Also, feeling envious of (what's gonna be) your open kitchen! Reminded of the kitchen island/table below that I spotted previously. Very naise! :)

Kitchen-1024x683.jpg

8 hours ago, kingandbin said:

Hello Cloh! Congrats on starting on your reno & may all go smoothly for you! The number of 'Huat Ahs' you and your husband did made me giggle :P

Keeping the t-blog updated is a way to reassure myself that things are indeed moving for our home. And it helps to organize one's thoughts too!

Also, feeling envious of (what's gonna be) your open kitchen! Reminded of the kitchen island/table below that I spotted previously. Very naise! :)

Kitchen-1024x683.jpg

Woo.. this is neat!! :wub: .. Thanks for dropping by and sharing your found! I really really love the clean look of the open kitchen!! Is super functional too!

Here's the update of the hacked open kitchen. Is gonna be my "dry kitchen" as I have shifted the wet kitchen (cooking stove) to the Yard to keep this open space oil free :P

20160907_204223.jpg

Edited by Cloh