Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

I engaged Benzdesign who did a complete redesign for our 3 toilets, kitchen, bedrooms, living room in HDB Maisonette. Benson himself personally handled my project. A tight deadline of 8 weeks was given and Benson took the challenge and delivered the handover on the exact date that I wanted. This was my first experience for a major home makeover.

3 weeks before my resale completion date, I did a few read ups in the forum and have estimated the budget and time required for my project. Yes, 3 weeks. My wife and I were both working adults and are always busy. Thankfully, there are many renovation forums which I can read up during my free time. After reading reviews on Benson’s projects, I decided to meet him in person. No appointment was made and I just appeared at his showroom at AMK.

As fate permitted, Benson was there with another customer. I roughly remembered how he looked like from the internet but did not know how he looks like in real person. I waited for him to serve his customer before I asked if he is Benson. Truly indeed, it was him and we were fated to meet.

Discussion was made with my layout plan and the theme I wanted was Modern Scandinavian. The design must be practical for daily use and importantly, it must be functional and not just for aesthetic looks.

Behold his weapon - A pen and paper; Benson began sketching his rough ideas and concept. Honestly, I have my own ideas and design. However, when Benson suggested different alternatives and designs which could save space and more money, I made up my mind that I could trust him with my project. I did not bother to get other opinions from other contractor/ID.

Major hacking works commenced the next day after I got my house keys. This was possible with Benson’s plan in applying the HDB permit in advance to ensure a smooth process. There were some hiccups to some designs as there were some obstacles which were only noted after the previous owner vacated the house. Most of the additional items and touching up were fully absorbed by Benson. I was reluctant as I said that he still needs to earn a living. Benson mentioned that he treats his customer’s house as his “own home” and would not want to feel ashamed of his own home. I was heartened by his thought.

There were no cutting corners in the materials being used. Instead, Benson found a better alternative to suit my exorbitant low budget. The designer tiles I selected to be used on my feature wall was a branded tile and Benson has no reservation to accede to my selection even when the cost is more than the price quoted or budgeted for me. Every day (except Sunday) for the 8 weeks, there would be at least 2 people working in my house. This made me feel that my house was not abandoned and at the same time, it reassured me that Benson is serious in meeting his dateline.

I was impressed with the detailed attention given to the choice of colours and materials used. Throughout the entire renovation process with the company, Benson was patient and professional in delivering the service.  My wife and I enjoyed working with him and we would definitely recommend his company to our families and friends without reservation.

Touching on payment, I was very reluctant to pay him high deposit sum. This is in view with the current slow economic situation and many scam contractors/ID on the lurch to rob us of our hard earn money. I requested from Benson for progressive payment. Benson initially requested for 50% deposit and the remaining 50% after completion of carpentry works. I negotiated for 5% deposit, 45% after completion of demolition, 45% after completion of carpentry, and 5% after completion/rectification of works.  After the completion of carpentry work, due to the good performance shown by Benson, I paid him the full amount. I kept the remaining VO works payment as last stage which was lower than 5%. I just wanted to see if Benson is trustworthy after all and he did pass my test with flying colours.

After moving in, there were many stains on the wall due to unprofessional mover I regrettably engage (King Mover). I informed Benson of the issue and he immediately arranged his painters to do touch up at the affected area. This was even after I have made the full payment to him.

I am not paid to do this write up. I am not the type of person who gives review or feedback as a hobby. I did this review as I believe Benson deserves more than a “Thank You” from my wife and myself. 

This review is to also remind myself of the good experience I had with Benson from a stranger to someone I sincerely called “Bro”.

In the following section, I have attached some of the pictures during our renovation journey.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation