Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bie18

Changing scope of work after signing with an ID/contractor

Have been meeting IDs and contractors for the past month to get quotes for a full reno and am now finally close to signing with one. However, am still not sure if I want the contractor to do some works for me... for example, I asked the contractor to quote for a platform bed, but am still not sure what type of bed I want (may even decide i dont eant a platform bed after all, and get a normal one off the shelf instead). As per usual practice, would it be possible to change or remove some of the items after signing? 

Edited by bie18
Left out some info

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
6 hours ago, northblue said:

I would love to know myself. i hope updating this would help.

I've spoken to one of the contractors (who I am considering for my reno), and they say they are OK to remove some items even once work has started. They will only charge for what work is actually executed in the end. However, of course the deposit is based on whatever you agreed on at your point of signing. So, if your quote is for 40k, and deposit before work commences is 40%, you need to pay 16k deposit even if later on the total cost of yr work ends up being 32k.  

Other ID companies, those that offer their work as a package, will not reduce the price even if you decide not to go ahead with some items in the package. Hope this helps! Will update again if I get more info. 

Edited by bie18
Missed out some info.

The contractors I have spoken to so far have all assured me that they will only charge for work done. Work that is not done will not be charged even if they were on the list at signing. But of course with contractors, you should really have a very clear idea of what you want to do before signing. Maybe you can put down "KIV" in front of work items that you have not decided on.

As for ID, it's a different story. I straight out tell them not to push me any package because whatever package it is will not meet my requirements. Those that are pushy with package I just tell them to get lost. To me, their so called package is a trap to tempt potential customers and secure deposit.
You cannot remove any work items from the package, meaning they will not reduce the price even if you reduce the work items. Sure, you can add work items. But usually it will be at a premium price. After all, they are already holding on to your deposit. They will be more than happy to eat your deposit without starting work. Choose your ID/ ID company carefully.

On 11/25/2016 at 3:02 PM, Onyxz said:

The contractors I have spoken to so far have all assured me that they will only charge for work done. Work that is not done will not be charged even if they were on the list at signing. But of course with contractors, you should really have a very clear idea of what you want to do before signing. Maybe you can put down "KIV" in front of work items that you have not decided on.

As for ID, it's a different story. I straight out tell them not to push me any package because whatever package it is will not meet my requirements. Those that are pushy with package I just tell them to get lost. To me, their so called package is a trap to tempt potential customers and secure deposit.
You cannot remove any work items from the package, meaning they will not reduce the price even if you reduce the work items. Sure, you can add work items. But usually it will be at a premium price. After all, they are already holding on to your deposit. They will be more than happy to eat your deposit without starting work. Choose your ID/ ID company carefully.

thanks for the tip!