Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
blurqueen

Want To Do Minor Renovation To My 3 Room Old Flat (existing Live-in)

Hi,

I am intending to do minor renovation to my existing live in flat, as it very old and run down. Intending to do flooring, plastering and painting of wall and kitchen cabinet only. Where can i look for contractor willing to do such minor renovation? Should i get contractor speciliased in doing flooring and another contractor speciliased in doing kitchen cabinet or is there contractor who do will do all? As we have budget constraint, therefore as long as the workmanship is acceptable it is ok, the main thing the price must be cheap.

I saw some ads in classified papers offering doing of homo flooring at 1K++, kitchen cabinet at 1K++ etc, are those trustworthy? Is the price of the tiles included in the pricing? Will they request you to add additional stuff or "eat you" during the process of the renovation?

Anyone did minor renovation like i mentioned to your existing live-in flat before? Anyone has good and cheap contractors to recommend (for flooring, kitchen cabinet)?

Hope to hear from you all. Thank you. :sport-smiley-003:

Edited by blurqueen

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi,

I am intending to do minor renovation to my existing live in flat, as it very old and run down. Intending to do flooring, plastering and painting of wall and kitchen cabinet only. Where can i look for contractor willing to do such minor renovation? Should i get contractor speciliased in doing flooring and another contractor speciliased in doing kitchen cabinet or is there contractor who do will do all? As we have budget constraint, therefore as long as the workmanship is acceptable it is ok, the main thing the price must be cheap.

I saw some ads in classified papers offering doing of homo flooring at 1K++, kitchen cabinet at 1K++ etc, are those trustworthy? Is the price of the tiles included in the pricing? Will they request you to add additional stuff or "eat you" during the process of the renovation?

Anyone did minor renovation like i mentioned to your existing live-in flat before? Anyone has good and cheap contractors to recommend (for flooring, kitchen cabinet)?

Hope to hear from you all. Thank you. :sport-smiley-003:

blurqueen, i would recommend u to use a single main-con for the whole project. those "too good to be true" price as advertised in the newspaper are always subjected to "terms and condition", or otherwise inferior material, i.e. china laminates vs. us laminates for kitchen cabinet. Why not you try to get in touch with the few recommended contractors and see how much the charges are like? Most of the good contractors won't mind taking up small projects.

Hi,

Hope to hear from you all. Thank you. :)

Edited by espresso

Hello blurqueen,

As mentioned , it is perhaps better to engage a single contractor who can co-ordinate the flooring works, carpentry and painting as this would save you some time if you cannot do it yourself.

I am in the midst of helping a friend to renovate her live in 3 room flat, just very basic works nothing fancy as she has very low budget.

The works comprise:

1) Hacking the original mosaic flooring from HDB 30 years ago for the 2 toilets and kitchen, and then waterproofing and re-tiling the flooring. Nothing to be done with the existing wall tiles.

2) Replacing the old cast iron sewerage pipes from ceiling to floor with new PVC pipes and plumbing for sanitary ware.

3) Conversion of squatting to sitting bowl for the common toilet, install 2 new toilet bowls and basins.

4) Provision and installation of a 12 feet long kitchen cabinet, bottom hung only as she does limited cooking in the weekends.

5) Changing a new steel dustbin.

6) Timley Disposal of all hacking debris.

The workers started hacking on Thursday and finished the day after with the tilers moving in to prepare the floor for cement screeding prior to laying the tiles ......very fast indeed.

Upon completion of the flooring in 3 working days time, the cabinets will be factory built and installed on site with the next couple of days. All in , the costs of the above works , labour, plumbing and inclusive of floor tiles provided by contractor plus cabinets total up to be $5k.

The appliances were self purchased like the 2 toilet bowls , 2 basins , a sink, taps and glass hob add up to another 1.2k.

Hope this information is useful....... :yamseng:

Hi,

Hope to hear from you all. Thank you. :)

Hi,

My 3I hdb flat is renovating where the major part is the kitchen area, would like to share the quotation I had from my contractor:

PLASTERING OVER EXISTING WALL TILES WITH PAINTING FINISH $670

SUPPLY/OVERLAY HOMOGENEOUS FLOOR TILES (INCLUDE REMOVAL) $1080

KITCHEN CABINET about $145 psf

You may PM me if wan to know more :bangwall: hope this help

Jen

Hi there blurqueen .

I just had some minor works done at my home by good and reliable contractor n i am very impressed. he is a honest n helpful chap,charges r straightforward n reasonable w no hidden costs. i m newbie in this forum so not sure if i can post his co. name n contacts here? u can pm me ..=)

i just did hacking and demolish of 2 toilets and then full height wall tiles with borders at only $4,600. a good deal. =)

Hi everyone

I'm also looking for reliable contractors to do some minor works for my flat, things like tear down built in features, replaster/repaint toilet ceiling, fix leaking window, do build-in wardrobe etc.

Can anyone recommend any good contractors?

Thanks

d.

Hi everyone

I'm also looking for reliable contractors to do some minor works for my flat, things like tear down built in features, replaster/repaint toilet ceiling, fix leaking window, do build-in wardrobe etc.

Can anyone recommend any good contractors?

Thanks

d.

Hi,

Price for tearing down built in features depends on number of item and sizes. Plaster/ paint celing shouldnt be much.. fixing leaking window, depends whether u know the root of the cause.. build-in wardrobe depends how many feet you're looking for :wub: May PM me for my contractor info..

Cheers,

Jen

Hello blurqueen,

As mentioned , it is perhaps better to engage a single contractor who can co-ordinate the flooring works, carpentry and painting as this would save you some time if you cannot do it yourself.

I am in the midst of helping a friend to renovate her live in 3 room flat, just very basic works nothing fancy as she has very low budget.

The works comprise:

1) Hacking the original mosaic flooring from HDB 30 years ago for the 2 toilets and kitchen, and then waterproofing and re-tiling the flooring. Nothing to be done with the existing wall tiles.

2) Replacing the old cast iron sewerage pipes from ceiling to floor with new PVC pipes and plumbing for sanitary ware.

3) Conversion of squatting to sitting bowl for the common toilet, install 2 new toilet bowls and basins.

4) Provision and installation of a 12 feet long kitchen cabinet, bottom hung only as she does limited cooking in the weekends.

5) Changing a new steel dustbin.

6) Timley Disposal of all hacking debris.

The workers started hacking on Thursday and finished the day after with the tilers moving in to prepare the floor for cement screeding prior to laying the tiles ......very fast indeed.

Upon completion of the flooring in 3 working days time, the cabinets will be factory built and installed on site with the next couple of days. All in , the costs of the above works , labour, plumbing and inclusive of floor tiles provided by contractor plus cabinets total up to be $5k.

The appliances were self purchased like the 2 toilet bowls , 2 basins , a sink, taps and glass hob add up to another 1.2k.

Hope this information is useful....... :deal:

Hi espresso,

Does the toilet floor need some ‘drying or airing’ period b4 cementing/re-tiling/etc? If so, how long is it? So its really possible to complete hacking and tiling toilet floors in 3 days? Sorrieee mine is 5 room resale flat. A bit out of the topic but since u did the toilets, jus wanted to ask for advice.

A contractor that I called needed 2-3 wks to complete the toilet floors as well as some minor reno that includes doing a divider, install grille **** area window and change a bedroom sliding door to one that is lockable. When I mentioned that I could only spare a wk or less for the reno, he say can oso. So im not sure if it can be done without compromising quality and workmanship. I mean if it cant be done, then I wont bother doing the toilets since I wana move in b4 7th mth. Im getting the keys only end jul. Can advise me?

I forgot to mention to him that the MBR toilet already has a shower screen and vanity top. Does this affect the floor tiling in anyway? Will it result in additional costs?

Anyone has reasonable, reliable contractors who did a good job for the toilets in a wk or less, pls pm me the contact details.

Thks so much!

Hi there blurqueen .

I just had some minor works done at my home by good and reliable contractor n i am very impressed. he is a honest n helpful chap,charges r straightforward n reasonable w no hidden costs. i m newbie in this forum so not sure if i can post his co. name n contacts here? u can pm me ..=)

i just did hacking and demolish of 2 toilets and then full height wall tiles with borders at only $4,600. a good deal. =)

Hi jaslyn2,

How long did it take to complete reno of yr 2 toilets? The price includes floor tiles?

What type of tiles did you use and how much does it cost per tile? Is it non-slippery? What is the size?

Do u hv pictures of yr toilets to share?

I am thinking of hacking and tiling only the floors of our 2 toilets.

Thks!

Hi there blurqueen .

Hi jas,

Can i have the contractor name and contacts. mail to: emailpugal@gmail.com