Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tientien

Furnitures From Ikea

Thanks guys, now I understand more.

Actually I also do not know what I will put in the book shelve.

I dun read and do not have much books.. but maybe put lots of other rubbish :(

We want to buy bcos we like the Billy glass door with floral. Also The shelves are cheap but now know compromise with the material. See whether I have time to look around first, if not think I will just get it.

if u're getting billy with doors, u can opt to buy the better hinges known as the Integral 153 instead of the normal hinges... the Integral 153 hinge is more expensive ($8 per piece), and it is actually manufactured by BLUM (well-known for the good quality) instead of by IKEA... just inform the sales person that u want the Integral 153 hinges :dunno:

Edited by redbottle

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hi, juz like to share i got the following stuffs from ikea and we hv to bring hm and assemble it ourself. and its been 5years now, and they are still in vy gd condition... :blink: so can't change new ones :yamseng:

tv console

2 small bookshelves

My folks have a simple table from ikea which they originally intended to use for simple clothes folding. However, it found it's way to the kitchen and with only 1 baby belling oven placed on top, it is transforming into a banana day by day.

In my bathroom is another ikea product, this time their washroom mirror cabinet. After jus a couple of month's usage, the metal part which was originally coated with paint started to rust.

My folks have a simple table from ikea which they originally intended to use for simple clothes folding. However, it found it's way to the kitchen and with only 1 baby belling oven placed on top, it is transforming into a banana day by day.

In my bathroom is another ikea product, this time their washroom mirror cabinet. After jus a couple of month's usage, the metal part which was originally coated with paint started to rust.

hehehe think i've got the same mirror cabinet as you

the rust part is no choice loh, but at least can change the rusty hinges :dunno:

Hihi..Anyone bought ikea leather sofa?..Am interested..just wanna find out if it's lasting....

it says genuine leather woh....we are only targetting at real leather small set sofa....and found that ikea has some nice sets....so thinking of buying...anyone have any comments?

Hi,just joined :)

I am looking for cabinets to fit my new flat and have actually decided to go for vhive wall street series for their sturdiness. But on 2nd thought, the number of shelvings are fixed and they provide much more height per shelf than normal bookshelves (around 35cm). And since they dont' allow you to get additional shelvings, it sort of seems quite fixed.

Now I am thinking of Ikea ones, but like what some of you mentioned, its chipboard. I have a lot of books and would probably need around 2m length in full height. Have never used Ikea ones before, so like to ask if anyone have got their Besta or Billy series recently and how it is after testing it?

Besta seems more sturdy, though materials should be the same. Actually vhive is also using chipboard, but the thickness per shelf is 25mm.

Edited by cheong

only heard, didn't see with my own eyes

my sister's friend got the besta and it collasped within three months

my sis told me coz she was considering the besta :)

So bad? :)

Apart from their TV consoles, couldn't find bookshelves that are of solid wood, so got to check if they mention anything about the recommended weight.

the leksvik series are solid wood, ditto for the other series starting with L

either solid spruce, solid ash or solid pine

leksvik is good but quite expensive loh, for that kind of price i'd rather go for rosewood !!

Hi, I am an avid Ikea supporter since my last house has 90% ikea furniture. Heehee...but I am definitely not from Ikea. So here is my 2cents worth.

Billy Bookcase - bought in 1998. Still using today. Got 3x60cm, 1x80cm, and 1x Corner, + 1x Benno CD rack. All shelfs fully utilized. Even put encyclopedia in the top 2 shelves. Not sure if I am blessed, none of the shelves have warp. I moved from original room to another room after reno in 2005, than in 2007 moved it to my mum's place while waiting for my new house. Will be moving to my new house soon so will shift them over again. Just check, condition still good. Will be adding doors and extension unit to it when I move since still in good condition.

Lack Table - after 2-3 years, threw away and bought another same one. Coz so cheap, can afford to throw away every few years.

Vika Table - 1st 2 tables (from 1998) threw away during reno in 2005, already in very bad condition (warp badly), than in 2007 threw away the the 150cm one, realise too long warp easily, the 120cm one still in good condition so gave to my brother. Will be getting the 120cm one for my next house.

Sofa - bought from Ikea in 1998 the 2 seater sofa, super comfortable, sat on it in the showroom and decided that is the one. Did not do any maintenance at all, lasted me till 2007 when I gave it to my new owner, who kept it to use. Will be looking at another Ikea sofa set again for my new place.

TV bench, used it since 1998 with my 29" CRT TV, than with my 32" LCD TV, warp a little, but new owner wants it, so gave it to them.

Bed - the one bought in 1998 is now at my mum's place after hers bought from neighbourhood shop gave way. Is the cheapest solid wood queen bed frame during 1998, think 200+ only. I end up sleeping on it now (my sis bought her a hotel type king size bed) till my new house come, already have a 2 year old Ikea Hopan queen bed now dismantled an now is under this bed which I will move to my new house. Also got a Robin series single bed with underside bed, still very good and using till today, at least 2-3 years old liao.

Chest of drawer - Got a 2 year old MALM 4-chest-drawer and 2-chest-drawer. The 4-chest drawer realise one of the drawer the bottle gave way. Have no time to see if it can be fixed, not totally gave way just warp so still using it. The drawer rail is every solid, one of the best. I bought one totally wooden 4 chest of drawers (no rail) one in 1998, every difficult to open and close but my mum kept it till today coz the wood still very solid. Got a Robin series 3 chest of drawer, still in good condition. Can't remember which year but should be at least 2-3 years liao.

Wardrobe - Robin Series wardrobe, this one not very good as the bottom warp liao so can't close properly, but still using it. Think also at least 2-3 years. I suspect more.

Got a few more Robin series items, multimedia shelf, book shelf, and one more tv console. All only about 2 years old. Still ok but need more time to tell. The Robin desk gave way though but this one is because of my installation problem, I accidentally crack it during installation but still lasted me 2 years before I finally throw it away.

Many other things like lightings, accessories, tables, chairs, bowls, pots, etc...most I think are value for money and last me for quite some time.

Overall, if you are looking at those really cheap stuff, than you also expect the quality is so so, the mid range items are very value for money and the expensive series, well, for those who can afford it. I usually go for the mid range stuff and some cheaper stuff. High end stuff out of my budget.

Needless to say, will be going to Ikea more often now since I just gotten key to my new house. Cheers!

Thanks for the comments :lol:

I read from ikeafans website that Billy series used to be very good, but recent years, the quality has dropped as they need to lower the prices. I guess both Billy and Besta will be out for me as they seem to have the same type of construction.

Now looking at the Liatorp series. Personally I prefer solid wood, but initially I thought that Ikea don't carry bookshelves of solid wood. Only thing is the price which is on the high side.

I understand the LINNARP and LEKSVIK series are using Solid Pine. Not sure if same as solid wood. In terms of pricing I believe is in this order (from most expensive)

LIATORP

LINNARP

LEKSVIK

All starts with 'L', coincidence?

I understand the LINNARP and LEKSVIK series are using Solid Pine. Not sure if same as solid wood. In terms of pricing I believe is in this order (from most expensive)

LIATORP

LINNARP

LEKSVIK

All starts with 'L', coincidence?

Yes, like what applefreak mentioned, the "L" series! I didn't notice this Linnarp before, will check it out. Solid pine is considered solid wood, good enough.

do note that there are solid wood and then there are solid wood

pine is considered a relatively 'soft' wood compared to, say, ash or rosewood

it won't warp as easily as chipboard or ply, but still yield when there's too much weight

better not to get solid pine if you are looking for bookcases

pine is good for the drawer chests, tables or beds :dancingqueen: