Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

hi h4happy

you have the right to discuss again and again, but each time when they show you their quote and ask how is it? say you want go home and go thru before you comfirm.. i did that.. cos only when you are at home studying your quote you will realise whether you find their quote ok or not.. get more quote to learn abt hidden costs, and compared market rate for item to items, check on tiles suppliers youself first, don get yourself in the situation that ppl give you this price of tiles you can select more choices.. so see yourself which tiles you like and the price, see is it justified for the price they quote you for the tiles you can select..

cos common trick, you can slect up to $4 tiles or $3 tiles or only $2.50 tiles..

wat i learn actually when i choose mine id

Thanks SUMMER.

I have confirm that I want granite.

But unable to decide which one cos I find that only few choices. (I want more lighter colour).

Also asking alot how granite they lay...etc....so that I know what they actually do.

1 id even told me after laying granite, they need to polish it!:notti:!

Maybe he is trying to smoke me.

Initially I believe him but then after talking to other id, I find that he is smoking me.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
the more exposure to id the more you learn, but they also don wan you to learn more.. so forum is how we learn from one another lo.. :notti:

Thanks SUMMER, beside 'hidden cost', I think I also need to know 'hidden work'.

hehehehehe....

Thanks SUMMER.

I have confirm that I want granite.

But unable to decide which one cos I find that only few choices. (I want more lighter colour).

Also asking alot how granite they lay...etc....so that I know what they actually do.

1 id even told me after laying granite, they need to polish it!:notti:!

Maybe he is trying to smoke me.

Initially I believe him but then after talking to other id, I find that he is smoking me.

Just to update you the technical part about granite. Generally, no contractor will want to recommend you polishing granite as the cost is too high; can be higher than hack out and relaying the whole area. But, granite can be polished, else you wouldn't have the polish finish granite tiles. Don't think your id smoke you on 1 part but to blame that he does not know his work well. Since you are laying granite on floor, just expect to have slight unevenness here and there; practically, all kind of tiles wrap, as such, you may feel some area to be uneven. Thickness of granite tiles also play a part. Even within the same piece of tiles, the measurement may differ between the corners and cos the uneven. However, as long as 3 or more corners of the pointers are flush, this qualify the laying.

Just to update you the technical part about granite. Generally, no contractor will want to recommend you polishing granite as the cost is too high; can be higher than hack out and relaying the whole area. But, granite can be polished, else you wouldn't have the polish finish granite tiles. Don't think your id smoke you on 1 part but to blame that he does not know his work well. Since you are laying granite on floor, just expect to have slight unevenness here and there; practically, all kind of tiles wrap, as such, you may feel some area to be uneven. Thickness of granite tiles also play a part. Even within the same piece of tiles, the measurement may differ between the corners and cos the uneven. However, as long as 3 or more corners of the pointers are flush, this qualify the laying.

Hi Bullet,

Thanks.

What is 3 or more corners of the pointers are flush?

How to check?

Hi Bullet,

Thanks.

What is 3 or more corners of the pointers are flush?

How to check?

Pointers refer to tile joints. A tiles at the center have 4 corners. If 3 corners of the tiles is levelled to its adjacent tile, It is qualify. To check visually, you can just feel the joint part of 2 tiles. You can check with your contractor about this. Most contractor will know about this and the statement is qualify by BCA in Conquas 2000 which is the standard set for all construction firm.

Pointers refer to tile joints. A tiles at the center have 4 corners. If 3 corners of the tiles is levelled to its adjacent tile, It is qualify. To check visually, you can just feel the joint part of 2 tiles. You can check with your contractor about this. Most contractor will know about this and the statement is qualify by BCA in Conquas 2000 which is the standard set for all construction firm.

Hi Bullet

Thanks for your info again.

Ok I think I get what you mean.

How about the closeness of the tiles?

Recently went to see showflat (granite tiles), can see the lines about 2 mm wide.

The id told me some of the 't' section will not be align.

When I look closely, there are few not in alignment and is about 2 mm wide.

Also can feel the chipped line (like very rough edge).

So, is about 2mm wide acceptable?

And is it normaly to feel chipped line (like very rough edge when your finger feel it).

Hi Bullet

Thanks for your info again.

Ok I think I get what you mean.

How about the closeness of the tiles?

Recently went to see showflat (granite tiles), can see the lines about 2 mm wide.

The id told me some of the 't' section will not be align.

When I look closely, there are few not in alignment and is about 2 mm wide.

Also can feel the chipped line (like very rough edge).

So, is about 2mm wide acceptable?

And is it normaly to feel chipped line (like very rough edge when your finger feel it).

BCA standard is below 3mm. It is achieveable within 2mm. 2mm is acceptable. We have to understand that every pcs of granite tiles are difference by few micron. It is the skill of the tiler to align the tiles as straight as possible but visually if look neat, it is acceptable. Whereas, chip line is more on handing of granite during transportation and laying. Minimum chip is acceptable but your tiler can also help to place the chip tiles to the corner. Unless the tiles delivered have alot of chip corners then they can't do much. The Other point to take note is the colour of granite. As this is a natural material, you can't expect to be consistance. But can request your tiler to organise the close colour to place together and gradually run of the tone.

BCA standard is below 3mm. It is achieveable within 2mm. 2mm is acceptable. We have to understand that every pcs of granite tiles are difference by few micron. It is the skill of the tiler to align the tiles as straight as possible but visually if look neat, it is acceptable. Whereas, chip line is more on handing of granite during transportation and laying. Minimum chip is acceptable but your tiler can also help to place the chip tiles to the corner. Unless the tiles delivered have alot of chip corners then they can't do much. The Other point to take note is the colour of granite. As this is a natural material, you can't expect to be consistance. But can request your tiler to organise the close colour to place together and gradually run of the tone.

Ok and I will take note of this.

If there are simply too many chip tiles, can I accept his workmanship?

I mean when I feel with my leg here and there, my leg can feel the chipped lines, is it ok?

Cos it feel uneasy as if you fresh kind of get cut feeling.

May I ask, who are you dealing with in Homemaker?

I am wondering if you are refering to the same fella who did our home :dunno:

May I ask, who are you dealing with in Homemaker?

I am wondering if you are refering to the same fella who did our home :dunno:

Hi GnM, according to them, there is only 1 group doing all the granite.

1 guy abit plumb and the other skinny.

If that is so, how is their worksmanship?

Rough or smooth??

Hi GnM, according to them, there is only 1 group doing all the granite.

1 guy abit plumb and the other skinny.

If that is so, how is their worksmanship?

Rough or smooth??

hmm... can PM me the name?

I dun want to write a review on a company I did not deal with before :dunno:

lest i give you a bias view before they even got a chance to do your home quotation. :help:

Hi Everybody

Ever heard of the above contractors?

I have shortlisted the 2 but unable to decide which is better.

Please advise me.

Thanks and regards.

Happy :dunno:

this was what I wrote about a year ago when I approached them for quotations...

all i can say about them is, you got to be thorough when going through their quotation

we also got a really cheap total amt from them, that is till we started going thru the quotation, then we realized that the quotation is not complete!

After adding all the missing items, their quotes are average after all. Depending who gave you the quotation, the prices varies very greatly between them. It happened to me. I got a quote from them, and was not happy with the initial quote. FW liked their workmanship for the wetworks, so she got a quote from another guy, and comparing the two, the prices differ for certain items to a very big extend.

Do get your partner to request for a second quotation with the same items with a different fella from their company to do a comparision before making a decision.

My neigbhour already sign the contract, total cost $38,000!:dunno:!

Half of the cost are design/features which I feel is too high price.

Not worth it at all.

I totally agree with GnM ..... their quote will varies with different ppl. Intially my quote was done my a contractor and later my project change to another person to take charge, than realise the later guy every little things also one to charge me, even things that the previous contractor already agree to give it to me :sport-smiley-004: So i am not very happy with the later guy and in the end i requested to change the person in charge to the first person who gave my the quote