Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
rocker26

Steps In Renovating New Flat.

Hi, can any1 advise me on how to go about renovating my new flat( to search for contractor 1st or designer ??etc. ) . i am about to get the keys to my new flat in october and this is my first home :dancingqueen: any advice will be very much appreciated! thank you

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi, can any1 advise me on how to go about renovating my new flat( to search for contractor 1st or designer ??etc. ) . i am about to get the keys to my new flat in october and this is my first home :dancingqueen: any advice will be very much appreciated! thank you

u got visit the reno fair at suntec and expo de mah?

walk around and look around ist. buy reno magazines read up so that u can decide on the designs u wan and u like.....

buy RENO AND DECOR magazine $5 de... singapore version....

then decide u wan contractor or designer?

designer u got to pay for their designer fee lor, contractor they do for u, some nice some not nice.. got to look for reliable and licensed hdb contractors....

chk hdb website... got tell u who is licences and who is not......

contractor cheaper, designer more ex...

decide on a budget......

0) Research this forum (got lots of valuable information) & magazines (i have a lot of ..last 9 mths if you want to buy cheap)

1) Decide on your budget.

2) Do you want to coordinate yourself (can be very stressful if things goes wrong) or let the ID coordinate?

3) Decide if want ID (they can usually give better design ideas) or contractor (which means you have to give more info on design).

4) Visit as many IDs/Contractors to see if you like the design poposed and if can get along with the person.

5) Once decided ask for quotation proposal & visit they recent projects (completed & non-completed)

6) Check all the fine prints before you sign the dotted line.

7) Write down all the agree items in b/w on the contract.

8) Review the payment terms & other T&C. Check every words in the contract.

9) Check the project schedule time line is realistic & penalty for any long project delay.

10) Insist on detail drawings with specifications.

11) Clarify on the material used and workers.

12) Insist regular updates on your project.

13) Choose only reputable company.

the above are all very good pointers.

what is important is you and your spouse must share the same idea of what you want before going to the ID to share your idea of what you want for them to do the design.

I started a blog just for this... heh heh :dunno:

try going thru my blog... lots of interesting articles to get you started.

Also, you must have same items which you and your spouse want.

So, by visiting id/contractors, then only you will know the price in the markets.

eg) if you ask this items but never ask the same items, then the quotation will not be the same and will be difficult to compare apple against apple.

So, hava a list of finalised items and then go hunting for reliable id/contractors. Of coure you may add in some items when you goes along, but try to finalised the main items.

My 2 cent worth lah.

thank you guys for the valuable advices...any good id or contractor to recommend??

r u a ppl who wans outcome or process? i mean my ID focus on outcome but process.... not to mention la.. not sae he not gd but then.... smhw diff tiking diff views la.... but outcome of my house still nice lor... refer to my thread on 'my house pictures for sharing'......

r u a ppl who wans outcome or process? i mean my ID focus on outcome but process.... not to mention la.. not sae he not gd but then.... smhw diff tiking diff views la.... but outcome of my house still nice lor... refer to my thread on 'my house pictures for sharing'......

Wow...very beautifully renovated!!!!