Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Light

Simple

Thanks for the comments so far. Here are pictures of my hall and dining area.

Dining Table with 4 chairs

511Hall.jpg

Wedding Rings

512Hall.jpg

Sofa & Coffee Table

513Hall.jpg

514Hall.jpg

515Hall.jpg

516Hall.jpg

Finally moved in on the 14th Oct. The last 2 weeks have really been hectic.

Spent lots of time in unpacking and packing and cleaning and cleaning and more cleaning. Where does all the dust come from so quickly?

Friends have advised that normally after reno there will be a lot of dust and it will usually take continual cleaning over a preiod of a month to get rid of most of the dust eventually. Anybody have a similar experince to share?

Been trying to settle down to a routine and have been exploring the neighbourhood. Very happy cos got lots of shops and food around. There is a 24hr Shop & Save and a 24hr Indian food shop that sells prata just 5 min walk away. Hawker Centre and Wet Market and Town Council are just diagonally opposite my block.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Congratulations, Light. You have a beautiful new home. Very tastefully furnished, if I may add. Simple and elegant.

Thanks, Chunky! I see that your renovation just started so here's wishing you a smooth and uneventful renovation process.

Yours looks like a complete make-over. Can't wait to see the result!! :)

Very nice place you have got there!:jawdrop: Do you mind sharing who is your ID? Is your MBR flooring parquet or laminate? I think it's a very clever idea to hack away the wall between the MBR n balcony.

I think so too! Very clever indeed.

Thanks, Chunky! I see that your renovation just started so here's wishing you a smooth and uneventful renovation process.

Yours looks like a complete make-over. Can't wait to see the result!! :)

Thank you. I hope I can attain great results like yours. We chose not to have an ID because my DH and I have very specific ideas of what we want, and it's no point having a middle man to convey our requirements. My friends tell us that we are taking a big risk, but it's a risk I think my husband and I can handle. Besides, I am on site almost every day, and my main con knows to check every single thing with me.

I went backwards to view the pictures of your flat in its original condition and seeing how you have transformed it, makes me think how lucky you are to get a tasteful theme in. Really wonderful.

I did note that you deliberately streamlined your kitchen such that your fridge and washing machine are aligned with your kitchen cabinets by changing the position of your sink. I guess you'd cut down on the number of cabinets then? You've done it beautifully, don't get me wrong. I just wonder how much you'd to compromise on storage space.

Edited by Chunky Monkey

The idea behind knocking down the wall is to let in more light and have a more airy feel. We also liked the idea of waking up in the morning and having a view of some plants bathed in sunlight...very soothing.

Its great that you can supervise the contractor. From my experiece and others in this forum too, it is critical. You can catch and correct any mistakes on site rather than discover them a few days later. Then you might have to incur more cost and time to correct them. Also, if you are on site as the renovation progresses, you might have a better feel of what will work and what wont and have the flexibility to change on the go. I can tell you that there is often a gap between the idea/concept and the actual implementation.

In addition, you pay less cos there is no middle man charge. For people who already have a good idea what they want, there is no need to have an "ID". Anyway, most of them are glorified contractors.

For now, its just my wife and I and the storage space is more than adequate. It was a deliberate choice to sacrifice some storage space. Hope we don't regret it later. :)

oh yeah, please post more pictures and bigger pictures on your thread.

Edited by Light

The idea behind knocking down the wall is to let in more light and have a more airy feel. We also liked the idea of waking up in the morning and having a view of some plants bathed in sunlight...very soothing.

Its great that you can supervise the contractor. From my experiece and others in this forum too, it is critical. You can catch and correct any mistakes on site rather than discover them a few days later. Then you might have to incur more cost and time to correct them. Also, if you are on site as the renovation progresses, you might have a better feel of what will work and what wont and have the flexibility to change on the go. I can tell you that there is often a gap between the idea/concept and the actual implementation.

In addition, you pay less cos there is no middle man charge. For people who already have a good idea what they want, there is no need to have an "ID". Anyway, most of them are glorified contractors.

For now, its just my wife and I and the storage space is more than adequate. It was a deliberate choice to sacrifice some storage space. Hope we don't regret it later. :)

Hi Light,

Yr house very nice.......this august after i sell my flat, i am thinking whether to buy a AMK resale or carry on with my clementi purchase(i got through balloting). MAybe if i have see yr pictures earlier, i will still consider buying AMK resale :jawdrop:

Well, there already is some mark-up from my main con. I accept that, otherwise what is he in for, right? He has to be motivated to coordinate everything for me. To me, that's his "fees" all embedded in his quote. He recommended me a door merchant, whom I have no confidence with, and I just informed him that I'm bringing in my own, and he just has to work with them. I told him if he thinks he can achieve the standard that I want, and at a lower price, he can be my guest. And I know he wouldn't dare overstep his boundary.

I am using image shack for my pictures. You can click on them, and they will enlarge.

I have enjoyed your photos immensely. Thank you. Oh, I smiled when I saw your picture of your bathroom and glass sliding door in your balcony. I'll be tiling the wall behind my WC with mozaic, and along the 3 other walls, I will be running 3 rows of mozaic at 1m from the ground. I wasn't sure if 3 rows were enough, and was contemplating between 3 or 5. The moment I saw you'd used 3 rows, and they look proportionate to the size of your bathroom, I became convinced 3 rows are enough for me. It's what my main con has ordered anyway.

As for the sliding glass doors ... I too will a L shaped row of glass sliding doors. It's not my balcony, but my airwell. But they won't be frameless because we need to make sure we can keep the rain out.

Edited by Chunky Monkey

Hi Light,

Yr house very nice.......this august after i sell my flat, i am thinking whether to buy a AMK resale or carry on with my clementi purchase(i got through balloting). MAybe if i have see yr pictures earlier, i will still consider buying AMK resale :)

Haha....For me I have no choice but to buy AMK....I grew up there and my parents are staying there.

I wanted the rebate from the Govt and my parents have already offered to look after our future kids(if any). The convenience and the flexibility it offered outweight any advantages of staying in a new flat.

Also, I managed to get my place at a good price. Compared to an equivalent unit in Clementi, the difference can buy a car already.

I also went to see the Clementi flats that were available for balloting...I love the location very much, being so close to the Town Centre, NTUC, swimming pool and MRT.

wah your coffee table and dining table is matching one leh

was it customised or bought from somewhere?

the grains are beautiful :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004:

Thanks...the Dining Table, Dining Chairs, Sofa and Coffee Table bought as a set from Evov. They threw in free cushions and delivery.

We chose the similar fabric for the dining chairs and the sofa and cushions. We also requested for long flowing grains for the coffee table and dining table top and as matching as possible. In the end, I dunno whether they really put in effort to match, but the end result is still ok lah.

Haha....For me I have no choice but to buy AMK....I grew up there and my parents are staying there.

I wanted the rebate from the Govt and my parents have already offered to look after our future kids(if any). The convenience and the flexibility it offered outweight any advantages of staying in a new flat.

Also, I managed to get my place at a good price. Compared to an equivalent unit in Clementi, the difference can buy a car already.

I also went to see the Clementi flats that were available for balloting...I love the location very much, being so close to the Town Centre, NTUC, swimming pool and MRT.

i bought the clementi flat that u went to see for $360k (5room). But before that i went to see those 3NG flats near the AMK central cos i tok they r cheap and i stay at AMK since young(so got many feeling).....how wrong am i...........those flats owners r asking for 275k to 300k.........i nearly faint.........got one 4 room near AMK central asking for 450k(owner still thinking whether to sell).....then i think if i buy a 29 yrs old 3NG for 275k to 300k, i am quite stupid to give up a 360k clementi(5room) new unit........

But yr house real nice...like i say.if i see yr house pic earlier........i will consider buy a AMK resale again.....i saw some ppl spend yr kind of money also dont have the kind of effect....congratualtion to you......... :sport-smiley-004:

I have enjoyed your photos immensely. Thank you. Oh, I smiled when I saw your picture of your bathroom and glass sliding door in your balcony. I'll be tiling the wall behind my WC with mozaic, and along the 3 other walls, I will be running 3 rows of mozaic at 1m from the ground. I wasn't sure if 3 rows were enough, and was contemplating between 3 or 5. The moment I saw you'd used 3 rows, and they look proportionate to the size of your bathroom, I became convinced 3 rows are enough for me. It's what my main con has ordered anyway.

As for the sliding glass doors ... I too will a L shaped row of glass sliding doors. It's not my balcony, but my airwell. But they won't be frameless because we need to make sure we can keep the rain out.

Glad to have been of some help.

Please remember to measure the height of the other toilet fixtures before doing the strip. At 1 meter, the mosaic strip may run into obstacles. If the height of the WC and the sink > 1 meter, it may disrupt the continuity of the strip. Other fixtures include mirror, thought that one might be unavoidable

My preference is for the strip to be unobstructed and at eye level. It serves to draw the eye along its lines and gives the bathroom a sense of dimension and a contrast with the white tile. YMMV.