Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hunter

Is It True That Plywood Would Bent?

Hi guys! Would like to check if its normal for large piece of plywod to bend. Recently i had my house renovated and i had my bomb shelter covered with a build in door. However, after the door is installed, it cannot be fully closed. as in the entire door is bent. so from the side, you would see some part of the door sticking out of the wall. does anyone of you facing this trouble too? :dancingqueen:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi guys! Would like to check if its normal for large piece of plywod to bend. Recently i had my house renovated and i had my bomb shelter covered with a build in door. However, after the door is installed, it cannot be fully closed. as in the entire door is bent. so from the side, you would see some part of the door sticking out of the wall. does anyone of you facing this trouble too? :dancingqueen:

Any pics to show? Very hard to visualise...

Yes, the wood has warped. And I know it's not the hinges that have sagged. See if you can get your contractor to rectify the problem by using smaller pieces of ply i.e. like patch work. But you create grooves and work it into the pattern of the door.

cantona7's ID placed steel strips on the door to prevent the warpage

my carpenter refused outright to do full length door and explained the issue to me

my id agree to replace for me, havent see the new door yet so cant comment,

so is it warping problem common?

Its common for plywood to warp.... thats y if you see the cross of the timer you use, it would not be a full piece of timer, you would see rectangle shapes of different shades. this will prevent warping.

then again, if the timer is 4' X 8' it should be fine, warping would be pretty minimal... the doors, backwalls I've built seldom has this problem.

Hmm, just came across this interesting thread....

My carpentar recommended using plywood as the carcass(body) of my kitchen cabinets, he claimed plywood is stronger than chipboard, and willnot be damaged by water in years to come.

I agreed, and paid a slightly higher price too.

The doors of my cabinet is glass (I'm making the glossy-type). What happens when that plywood base starts warping later ?

erm how much higher did you pay?

market rate for kitchen cabinet is all for plywood

so far i've never heard any carpenter using chipboard for kitchen cabinet woh

the only one who wanted to charge me higher is because i asked for solid wood :notti:

erm how much higher did you pay?

market rate for kitchen cabinet is all for plywood

so far i've never heard any carpenter using chipboard for kitchen cabinet woh

the only one who wanted to charge me higher is because i asked for solid wood :notti:

8% higher than what was originally quoted. But I gessed things are subjective.

Hey, never knew all kcs must be of plywood base. I saw many high-gloss ones made of chipboards.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

maybe things have changed

all the IDs and contractors i approached during renovation didn't even ask

they just quote plywood straight

none offered chipboard at all :unsure:

btw, then market rate was $90pfr for plywood KC

mine was $100 coz it's all drawers :yamseng:

i have this impression that wood will warp because it's not dry properly during the manufacturing process? From the secondary school technical studies.

Very common defect in carpentry industry for doors to warp.

Normal contractors will not spend time pressing your door down for few days to straighten the wood when the plywood came into their hands as they are only doing your door as a one time service thing.

My company got an SOP(standard operation procedure) which is that every door which exceeds 1m should be press down for a week to counter the warpage problem before the wood can be use to fabricate doors/cabinets of big sizes.

Warpage seldom occurs for small size doors therefore you seldom see cabinet doors encountering this problem therefore not for a problem for you wilson.

applefreak, nowadays people tend to use plywood because it is stronger, last time chipboard is widely use as it is cheap. If you are not sharp to spot these details, contractor will fleece you by using low quality wood.

Very common defect in carpentry industry for doors to warp.

Normal contractors will not spend time pressing your door down for few days to straighten the wood when the plywood came into their hands as they are only doing your door as a one time service thing.

My company got an SOP(standard operation procedure) which is that every door which exceeds 1m should be press down for a week to counter the warpage problem before the wood can be use to fabricate doors/cabinets of big sizes.

Warpage seldom occurs for small size doors therefore you seldom see cabinet doors encountering this problem therefore not for a problem for you wilson.

applefreak, nowadays people tend to use plywood because it is stronger, last time chipboard is widely use as it is cheap. If you are not sharp to spot these details, contractor will fleece you by using low quality wood.

Diablos, thank you,.......