Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Fann

Urgent I Need Help With My Reno!

Hi all,

I've just bought a 5room at bishan, but after reading so many "HORROR" stories on contractors and designers. I would most probably need !! recommendation from fellow friends here. I will be getting my keys in late December. Is it too early to look for one now and is my budget of 40k enough for a 5room resale? !! Comments and recommendations are welcomed... !!

!!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi all,

I've just bought a 5room at bishan, but after reading so many "HORROR" stories on contractors and designers. I would most probably need !! recommendation from fellow friends here. I will be getting my keys in late December. Is it too early to look for one now and is my budget of 40k enough for a 5room resale? !! Comments and recommendations are welcomed... !!

!!

yes!! once u got your floorplan, u should start doing some sourcing and homework. draw up your requirements of 'to-do' lists then start visiting IDs.

expo always got a lot of IDs show-casing there, so u might wanna go there look-see for a start. :notti: get a feel first. sourcing part can be quite tedious... each time u talk to a new ID, u gotta repeat all over again.

40K is quite decent. shd be able to do nice nice liao... unless really need a major major overhaul.

how old is your flat by the way?

yes!! once u got your floorplan, u should start doing some sourcing and homework. draw up your requirements of 'to-do' lists then start visiting IDs.

expo always got a lot of IDs show-casing there, so u might wanna go there look-see for a start. :notti: get a feel first. sourcing part can be quite tedious... each time u talk to a new ID, u gotta repeat all over again.

40K is quite decent. shd be able to do nice nice liao... unless really need a major major overhaul.

Hi phoenix,

thanks for the reply, i have already got my floorplan and im going down to expo to take a look at the exhibitions. Confirmed i'm getting keys before christmas already and hopefully by then i'm able to settle down with one and proceed with my reno. my unit is 15years old. the renovation was done by the 1st owner and im the third owner already, so i guess currently all the existing stuff have to go. how much does one usually spends on their reno on a 5room? i just want to know the market rate. :dancingqueen:

expo always got a lot of IDs show-casing there, so u might wanna go there look-see for a start. :) get a feel first. sourcing part can be quite tedious... each time u talk to a new ID, u gotta repeat all over again.

IDs at expo some of them behave like sharks, some use hardsell BEWARE!.......when I started searching for ID, I search for IDs that are mentioned but seldom complained about in the forum. Complains abt contractors and IDs bound to have, that all personal, some pple very high expectation, give very vague requirements, fierece or Bo chap to IDs then end up with a lot of bitching abt this and that no good.

So its how specific u understand what you really want and communicate to the ID as clearly as possible

Hi all,

I've just bought a 5room at bishan, but after reading so many "HORROR" stories on contractors and designers. I would most probably need :) recommendation from fellow friends here. I will be getting my keys in late December. Is it too early to look for one now and is my budget of 40k enough for a 5room resale? :~ Comments and recommendations are welcomed... :dancingqueen:

:notti:

I don't think its ever too late. Unless U are very familiar with the industry and such, starting early gives U more time to prepare, develope ideas, amper time to sort your design ideas and most importantly a good ID firm

If you want your whole house to have Italian designer marbles, do you think 40K is enough? its good to start understanding what materials U will like and how much your dream theme is gona do ur piggy bank damage

Reno is just one part, getting the right designer furnitures and appliance and lighting that fits your 40K reno theme is gona do more than 40K damage.

so better to start thinking what U want and do a more realistic costing

IDs at expo some of them behave like sharks, some use hardsell BEWARE!.......when I started searching for ID, I search for IDs that are mentioned but seldom complained about in the forum. Complains abt contractors and IDs bound to have, that all personal, some pple very high expectation, give very vague requirements, fierece or Bo chap to IDs then end up with a lot of bitching abt this and that no good.

So its how specific u understand what you really want and communicate to the ID as clearly as possible

I don't think its ever too late. Unless U are very familiar with the industry and such, starting early gives U more time to prepare, develope ideas, amper time to sort your design ideas and most importantly a good ID firm

If you want your whole house to have Italian designer marbles, do you think 40K is enough? its good to start understanding what materials U will like and how much your dream theme is gona do ur piggy bank damage

Reno is just one part, getting the right designer furnitures and appliance and lighting that fits your 40K reno theme is gona do more than 40K damage.

Hi Jliow,

thanks for the comments and advice, material wise in general i know what we want but i just need the designs and someone who does it without giving me any problems. of course we must like the designs before we start anything. i have already set aside a amount for my furniture and fittings already. 40k just for my reno. Who did you engage anyway? Mind if u can share? :dancingqueen:

hi,

Your budget of 40k should be quite comfortable, mine was a 4-rm resale total overhaul in Toa Payoh and it came up to 34k w/o furnishings. Suggest though that you do not communicate this budget to ur ID/contractor, better to let them come up with the quote first. As shared by some forummers, some of the sales people in expo are fairly unscrupulous so do take care.

cheers n good luckz ;)

wahahahaa.. u sound more like an ID

there ever one thread call "Who have Bad Experience with ID" was taken out by renotalk.. or else u see clearer how why the victim are so helpless when they met those Jerk!

have your completed your Reno yet?

Hi phoenix,

thanks for the reply, i have already got my floorplan and im going down to expo to take a look at the exhibitions. Confirmed i'm getting keys before christmas already and hopefully by then i'm able to settle down with one and proceed with my reno. my unit is 15years old. the renovation was done by the 1st owner and im the third owner already, so i guess currently all the existing stuff have to go. how much does one usually spends on their reno on a 5room? i just want to know the market rate. :dunno:

yep...i think the expo may be a good place to start, as quite a number of IDs there for u to talk to on the same day, saves u time running around for a start. but like what another forummer has pointed out, juz dun get suckered into signing any confirmation on the spot (u may like to read some of the unpleasant cases where people signed up during such road shows).

its hard to say if your 40K will get u what u want, but like i said, its decent enuff! should be able to do up really nice liao unless the ID u engaged really "cannot make it" kekeke. surf and read other people blog may get u a rough idea too. :sport-smiley-004:

oh.. also, u'd probably have to wait more then 2 wks to get your quotations as now is peak period.

I went down to the exhibition at expo today, a bit disappointed with most of them as they were more of hard selling. asking me to put deposits to grab their offer b4 it's gone. i had the longest chat with Johnson from I-bridge, 2hrs !! non stop begging me to give him a chance to "perform" on my house. told me 8yrs in this line, referrals keep coming back to him, blah blah blah. If u r so good, why do u still need to come to expo to grab clients??? Turn off by him.

Image's showroom is large and nice, but the salesperson who attended to me was more like a student, had a short chat and left my number. When i bypassed unimax's showroom, :dunno: they were more like fighting with the opposite's stall by trying to grab us in. Wow, is this standard practise in today's interior designing? :sport-smiley-004:

I remembered when i was in the U.S. for studies 4-5yrs back, i visited one of their interior exhibitions with my aunt and the ang moh designers wasn't behaving like this. they were more professional !! in wad they were doing instead of asking me to place deposits while stocks last.

Anyway, i dun believe in their business gimmicks of free gifts nor am i going to engage this group of people at the expo to design my house, disappointed am I. I think i shall stick to recommendations from this forum and dear friends and i hope there are people kind enough to recommend me some. What a big headache i have with so little time. :dancingqueen:

Kekekek guess the interior business here is very competitive hence they are behaving like this. I only visited the exhibition once b4 my house reno and never attended any after that. Espcially at such shows, they tend to offer lotsa verbal freebies or cheap prices but seems like after signing, there are people who complained that they aint getting their value for money.

For 40k i believe is do-able for a 5 room. It really depends on your expectations. If you are just doing the basics like floor, wall and perhaps kitchen cabinet, it can be done. But if u want more carpentry, its gonna cost more.

My friend's renovating her resale EA and she's paying like almost 50k.

Ours is a resale 4 rm and we're paying like 40k for a major overhaul as well as quite an extensive carpentry.

Its really for you to justify what you want vs the budget u hv. :sport-smiley-004:

Read around the threads for advices on the IDs... that's what we did too. So far our ID, I wouldnt say he's the best but he's been nice. At least, it wasnt really a pain working with him on our house reno. :dunno:

pressurizing a customer to put deposit is a show of 'no confidence' to me. i think if an id is good, she/he wouldn't need to resort to this type of hard sell.

Edited by phoenix

Hi all,

I've just bought a 5room at bishan, but after reading so many "HORROR" stories on contractors and designers. I would most probably need :good: recommendation from fellow friends here. I will be getting my keys in late December. Is it too early to look for one now and is my budget of 40k enough for a 5room resale? :dunno: Comments and recommendations are welcomed... :sport-smiley-018:

:yamseng:

Dear Fann, that has to depend what you require in your 5 rm flat. To me, $40k is more than enough. My renovation for my 5 rm flat amounted to $35k :yamseng:

I think my contractor has done a good job. :good:

I went down to the exhibition at expo today, a bit disappointed with most of them as they were more of hard selling. asking me to put deposits to grab their offer b4 it's gone. i had the longest chat with Johnson from I-bridge, 2hrs :good: non stop begging me to give him a chance to "perform" on my house. told me 8yrs in this line, referrals keep coming back to him, blah blah blah. If u r so good, why do u still need to come to expo to grab clients??? Turn off by him.

Image's showroom is large and nice, but the salesperson who attended to me was more like a student, had a short chat and left my number. When i bypassed unimax's showroom, :sport-smiley-018: they were more like fighting with the opposite's stall by trying to grab us in. Wow, is this standard practise in today's interior designing? :yamseng:

I remembered when i was in the U.S. for studies 4-5yrs back, i visited one of their interior exhibitions with my aunt and the ang moh designers wasn't behaving like this. they were more professional :dunno: in wad they were doing instead of asking me to place deposits while stocks last.

Anyway, i dun believe in their business gimmicks of free gifts nor am i going to engage this group of people at the expo to design my house, disappointed am I. I think i shall stick to recommendations from this forum and dear friends and i hope there are people kind enough to recommend me some. What a big headache i have with so little time. :yamseng:

Co in Expo ...wahaha.. same ... dun believe...

What I observed so far is this name Ideal house from some members' signatures . Maybe you can try to ask contact number from them. Like they say, 40k can do alot of things . Do some research from local magazines like Home & Decor , Homestyle etc.

meimei beri rich siah... 40k is NOT quite decent - it's a LOT!:D! !!

most of the horror stories you read in this forum or any other forums started from expos....

do make USE of them for some free ideas though - i mean if you can.