Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tingshen

Extended Warranty From Courts/harveynorman/audiohouse Etc......

Hi, realised it's my maiden post so just want to assure that I am not HN staff nor in any way related to them. Just wanted to share my recent experience in claiming for 2 cordless phones under the HN extended warranty.

Both phones cost around S$200. Both phones had a standard 1 year warranty from manufacturer and I purchased +4 extended warranty from HN. The Siemens phone was already 3 years old while my Motorola was 1.5 years old. Sent them in to the respective service centres and they reverted back to HN Extended Warranty Dept. The HN Customer Service then called to advise that both phones were not worth repairing and that I will get a new set of the same models. The new sets come with standard 1 year warranty from the manufacturer.

Personally, I feel that it's a good deal. For that extra S$30-40 to be stretched over 4 years, that works out to be S$10/year. Just to buy me a piece of mind.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

no lar, first year 100%, 5th year 20%, I claimed mine when my laptop was stolen on the 5th year.....but then, you only get back their vouchers. Beware that Best Denki stuff are always super overpriced.....The voucher could just be able to cover up what you paid for the SAFETY5 at the first place.....

If you do some research on Plasma TV price, you will realize non-HN,BD,Courts kind of shops would offer you so much cheaper.....

Got my safety5 free. for my plasma 42" from Best.

1st 3 yrs from agent, next 2 yrs, covers part, service & delivery.

Otherwise, won't dare to buy LG.

Think the 1st yr even cover 80% if u damage it yourself.

small little thing doesn't really matter, but if you're talking about a few thousands of devices like big plasma TV, dun think you will be so lucky.....too many bad experience I heard.....

personally find it ok. esp. when you are buying something that you will be using it daily.

I bought hair dryer for $80+ and bought the warranty thingy and expired in 1/2 years. can't remember.

Heavy usage and I dropped it quite frequent. <accidently la>

Spoilt and hubby brought back to court and came home with a brand new one.

We didn't pay for the new one of cause but hubby pay another 10bucks for that new hair dryer's warranty thingy again.

i would say, grab it if it comes free.....

but u know, those stores probably cost in already....you will be surprised how much cost savings we are getting from places like maximum credit/HongLeong.

i think the extended warranty depends on how extensive it covers. if its really that good, no harm in getting extended warranty ,especially on those essential stuff (fridge, tv,aircon) ,BUT provided the cost for extended warranty is reasonable as well loh.

i agree with applefreak .nowadays the electronics are like handphones... dropping prices v fast.

whether to take up extended warranty by paying a price, still lies within the individuals.

Edited by elaine1205

hmm did the harven norman sales really said that???

the terms and condition states that replacement is one to one as long as its within the warranty period :rolleyes:

have claimed it twice on a CRT tv but didn't pay a single cent. they even provided a loan set :yamseng:

then again, a plasma that cost $6k few years ago will only be worth $2k now, provided it's the same model which most prob can't be found anymore?

all along i never believe in extended warranties UNLESS it's given by the manufacturer - like a sony cam i bought donkey years ago Sony gave another 1yr.

a few mths back a guy wrote a letter to ST FORUM complaining about the "bullsheet" of this fiasco. they will only honour this extended warranty provided the parts that needs to be replace are CHEAP. They just refuse to replace his LCD panel on his laptop.

I thought they are selling AIG insurance that covers 100% of the equipment value for 5 years. in the event it can't be repaired, policy holder can simply claim back 100% of what they pay and buy another replacement with the same value at the point where the claim is approved.

To my surprise.....one of the Harvey Norman sales said his customers spent $6K+ 4 years ago on his VGA Plasma, and claimed back only a $2K worth of Plasma TV as replacement.

It simply doesn't make sense to get this kind of stupid "extended warranty".....

Look, at $6K+, that customer probably paid another $600-700(10% of purchased price) extra for the extended warranty. $2K compensation out of $6.7K is only about 30%. If I were to get Best Denki's SAFETY5, it cost 5% or FREE during their promotional period. they pay out 20% vouchers. So if similar event happen, the same customers will get back $1200. Plus another $800, he can also get back the same value of compensation from the expensive AIG insurance. So isn't SAFETY5 more worth it?

Can anybody share your experience in claiming such warranty? I claimed SAFETY5 b4, when my laptop was stolen. And Best Denki really honored what they promised. I heard there are people having problems or argument when it comes to AIG's claim, may I know how true is it?

Now I even want to reconsider if the so called "extended warranty" is worth it. What is the chance that a TV would spoil within 5 years? I'm looking at Plasma....