Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Shabby-chic/colonial/eclectic/whatever Mishmash

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Well, I guess cheap & expensive are relative.

To me,

Ikea Jokkmokk $39 = cheap

Ikea Ingolf $95 = expensive

Furniture Mall teak/mahogany chair I saw just now $290 = ?:lol:

Now $95 seems quite reasonable, in a way :lol:

I may get 4 Jokkmokk and 2 Ingolf with armrests $115 each. The Ingolf with armrests looks nice enough to double as sitting area armchairs.

My wife likes the idea of a long bench. But the price of those we saw at Furniture Mall was $200+! *faint*

Edited by 312079

to me cheap and expensive is relative to how much you like the item

$10 for a chair i absolutely detest is extremely expensive but $100 for a chair i adore is reasonable

think of how long this chair is going to be with you, divided the price by the days and you'll find that it's not so expensive afterall :lol:

I've been very busy with work and other things. Currently we have met a couple of ID and I think we are working to a budget of around $25k for built-ins, walls and floors.

Hi there!

Glad to meet a fellow forumer who's also into country/cottage/shabby-chic whatever u call it "unique style" like me :yamseng: .

I'm currently in the process of renovating my country home. Faced similar problem of not being able to find a suitable ID who understands my style, hence I've decided to take it into my own hands. No ID for me! :rolleyes:

We are basically getting our sub-contractors to do the major works like flooring, windows, kitchen cabinet etc. The rest we'll DIY as I believe we know what we want best...saves us the headache of having to coordinate with the ID.

Really interested to see how your reno will turn out. Must update your t-blog! :notti:

that's a very reasonable price !!
"unfortunately", we could not make it that low... we've selected our ID (though i admit - see below - we don't really need one) and the stuff we are getting total 30k. i guess it's not very expensive nor is it very cheap. but i've no time to keep looking (much less update this t-blog often!)

Glad to meet a fellow forumer who's also into country/cottage/shabby-chic whatever u call it "unique style" like me :jawdrop: .

I'm currently in the process of renovating my country home. Faced similar problem of not being able to find a suitable ID who understands my style, hence I've decided to take it into my own hands. No ID for me! !!

We are basically getting our sub-contractors to do the major works like flooring, windows, kitchen cabinet etc. The rest we'll DIY as I believe we know what we want best...saves us the headache of having to coordinate with the ID.

Thanks for dropping by and sorry there's not much stuff here. Most IDs are familiar with the current minimalist vogue and don't seem to "get it" regarding shabby-chic or whatever. Actually I think you've made a good decision - I think I also didn't need an ID, just contractors would do. But work is busy, I've no time to manage my reno myself, so I got an ID anyway.

So far we are planning to do "the look" by adding accessories and decorations in our style, since the cabinets and other built-ins will be quite "normal".

So far "the look" is:

Entry foyer: terracotta tiles

Living room parquet: herringbone pattern

Living room lamp: Middle-Eastern glass-and-brass "lantern"

We are still looking for other interesting pendant lamps for the kitchen, bedrooms and passageways...

shabby chic/eclectic whatever the name, i'm sure it'll be really cool!

So happy to see one more"deviation" from the norm!

looking forward and all the best... :P

Thanks for the wishes and the "vote" of confidence! :unsure:

For your "viewing pleasure"...

This is what I hoped to do for my MBR:

ytdu0o.jpg

In the end the built-in bed was quoted at $2k - so I cut it out...

This is what I plan to do for my study:

ytdu0q.jpg

In the end the study tables were quoted at $800 each so I cut it out as well...

Did these mock-ups on Google Sketchup, a cool 3D modelling prog.

Hihi,

Think we have the same floor plan and similar tastes! I'm going for colonial/scandivanian/peranakan instead of the modern glossy look. (I don't like glass and reflective surfaces).

Just want to say that I planned my bed and wardrode in the same layout as you, just that for me, the wardrobe on the right near the window will be a chest of drawers instead. That way can buy ready made ones and also makes the room look bigger. But I must add that your left wardrobe drawing gave an answer to one of my headaches... to fit my theme, I wanted doors instead of sliding like what you have but was thinking how to fit in the bedside tables. I can consider raising the height of the casement doors like you drew. :bangwall:

Hi carelinwen,

Happy to know that you find my idea for the wardrobe door height useful for yourself. I'm not sure whether I'll end up using it myself as I'm no longer doing the bed as built-in *sigh*

Wow, you have an interesting mix in mind: colonial/scandivanian/peranakan! Which elements are you going to combine? I'm Peranakan myself, but I find the traditional Peranakan furniture rather too "fussy" or ornate. Will be fascinating to see how it works out for you!

Hi 310279...is it easy to do? I mean using google sketchup?

How to download the software?

For your "viewing pleasure"...

This is what I hoped to do for my MBR:

ytdu0o.jpg

In the end the built-in bed was quoted at $2k - so I cut it out...

This is what I plan to do for my study:

ytdu0q.jpg

In the end the study tables were quoted at $800 each so I cut it out as well...

Did these mock-ups on Google Sketchup, a cool 3D modelling prog.