Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
calaislily

My Reno Headache... I Need Help!

I am currently living in my flat and only have about 10 working days to do some reno works to my kitchen, kitchen toilet, living and spare bedroom room. Basically, I want to re-do the tilings in these areas and reshuffle the kitchen layout.

I need to decide on whether to overlay tiles in kitchen and living room or to do hacking given the time constraint. Can someone give me some opinions on this? cos I have been debating about this issue but can't come up with a decision :dancingqueen:

As for my spare bedroom flooring, I have decided to overlay with wood laminates.

Thank you

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Are you talking about 10 working days starting from now, including permits, search for contractors, getting quotations, etc, or that you could spare 10 working days for works alone??

If starting now, then I think its really impossible.

I already found an ID. I just need to make some decisions... like whether to do hacking or not given the tight schedule. That's why I needed to get opinions. The 10 working days are the actual number of days that the contractor has to complete the job (i.e. flooring). I am okay if carpentry works like installation of cabinets are completed later. My main worry is the flooring. Sigh...

Hacking can be completed within a day or two, and the tiles can be laid within a day or two also. Carpentry works also can be installed within two to three days.

But wait, before you jump to joy, I think the problem is more of a scheduling by your contractor (because u r not the only job they have) rather than the duration of the works itself. You got to check with the contractors if its possible for them to concentrate on your flat only during these 10 days...

Yes, I did emphasize to my ID that I can only afford to give him that number of days to work with. He seemed confident about it. I just want to save myself from any disappoint and thought maybe I should do overlay of tiles cos it would save time.

Also, any idea if ceramic tiles is a better choice than homogenous tiles if I have a doggy?

Calaislily,

You did emphasize to your ID that you can only afford that 10 days of work.

Based on a normal ID experience, my few cents worth of advice is to give a longer grace period of time. Even when it comes to applying for the permit. You may need at least 1 week in advance for the applying of permits.

Hacking can be completed within a day or two, and the tiles can be laid within a day or two also but you must give your tiles at least a week for the cement & adhesive chemical to work on the tiles. If not your tiles may end up popping up here & there based on shaddy work promised by your ID.

As the places you mentioned esp like the common bathroom & your kitchen, water proofing must be done as well if not your neighbours will chased after you if they are facing water leakage issues.

Carpentry will take another 2 weeks as you will have to meet your ID to confirm on the fine details like the detail drawings of your kitchen cabinets. The kind of stove, hood, & sinks you're about to purchased & plus the number of shelves, drawers & colour materials selections of your laminate & solid surface.

A rush job is the surest way to regret in any reno. I'll not advice you to do overlay of floor tiles over the existing ones as I am not sure how how is your apt. If is more than 6yrs, my advices is to hack & lay & that goes for your bedrooms as well even though you're going to lay the laminate. With a pet in the house, I would strongly advice / suggest to you to go for homogeneous tiles.

Edited by zacky_ling