Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
countrylover

Our Cosy Country Home

I think it is odd that the carpenter cannot do the curvy outline for the canopy like piggiedearz's since I notice that there are alot of curved carvings on your drawers & the top cabinet doors with the top holes with curve somemore.

If can do curves, why not? :dunno: Perhaps you can show them the pic piggiedearz posted in here?

I believe that piggiedearz's canopy ie the white portion is made of plaster, which is moulded onto an internal frame. The lower portion consists of a timber skirting.

Before I started the carpentry, already showed them similar photos, but they said can't be done. Asked for trimmings and skirting, they can't do also. I believe can be done, just that they too lazy to go the extra mile. Have argued with them so many times over the canopy already. Very upset cos the canopy (to me) is one of the most important accent that makes up a country kitchen. :furious: This the difference when u pay $5k for a cabinet, over someone else who quotes u $10k. Sigh...

The system doors u see come with the carvings from the supplier. What the carpenter did was to mould the postfoam laminates onto them.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi countrylover

i think the tiles might do the trick....

we shld have a country gathering! go get country decor stuff haahah

Hehe...yup! Shd arrange to meet up soon. But everytime I walk into a country-style shop, end up spending lots of money. :deal:

Ah so complicated! Maybe you can consider mossaic as skirting or trimming at the edge of the canopy & maybe decorate the middle of the canopy with ribbons, those kind suitable for your country style theme? I think this will do the trick.

I believe that piggiedearz's canopy ie the white portion is made of plaster, which is moulded onto an internal frame. The lower portion consists of a timber skirting.

Before I started the carpentry, already showed them similar photos, but they said can't be done. Asked for trimmings and skirting, they can't do also. I believe can be done, just that they too lazy to go the extra mile. Have argued with them so many times over the canopy already. Very upset cos the canopy (to me) is one of the most important accent that makes up a country kitchen. :furious: This the difference when u pay $5k for a cabinet, over someone else who quotes u $10k. Sigh...

The system doors u see come with the carvings from the supplier. What the carpenter did was to mould the postfoam laminates onto them.

Love your canopy! Unlike mine, really looks like sh*t. :bangwall: The shape of mine, like what I've posted above is a straight-cut one. I actually asked for something like yours (with the curved in outlines), but my carpenter said they are unable to do it. :furious:

Cool...will really love to visit all your homes. Believe it will be much nicer than mine, as mine is a low budget production. :o My friends been wanting to visit my home but cos everything is still in bits and pieces, I'm very shy to invite them over. Hehe...think will probably need another few mths before I can do my house-warming.

Got gathering must jio me hor! :D

no la urs where got look like ****. diff design lor cos not all carpenters can do country style well. mine is not plaster as per ur other post, its made of wood. if its plaster, definately cannot be used for kitchen cos kitchens will be oily, hv to clean. plaster cannot come in contact with water ma. mine also low budget production haha. if hv $, i wld wan to do a lot more! :P

i'm sure with ur deco pcs from overseas, ur hse will be veri cozy. mine doesn hv much deco items. slowly collect.

Oh piggiedearz's canopy is not plaster but wood? Its kinda strange that countrylover's carpenter cannot do it, but never mind, decoration will do the trick.

Another alternative is to have those kinda open shelfs with rails like the open shelves posted earlier on, as another option for putting condiments or sauces attached to the canopy where the skirting is supposed to be? Some country styles have similar english version for this.

no la urs where got look like ****. diff design lor cos not all carpenters can do country style well. mine is not plaster as per ur other post, its made of wood. if its plaster, definately cannot be used for kitchen cos kitchens will be oily, hv to clean. plaster cannot come in contact with water ma. mine also low budget production haha. if hv $, i wld wan to do a lot more! :P

i'm sure with ur deco pcs from overseas, ur hse will be veri cozy. mine doesn hv much deco items. slowly collect.

Hehe...sorry for my wrong interpretation. Cos I went down to Forest Wood, the ID told me the white portion is plaster. Usually they will paint over the plaster to protect it.

Is your cabinet solid wood or ply? Think u told me the other time is solid ply right? How much did Cottage Crafts quote u for the cabinet alone?

My HB said the oven spoilt the whole look, makes the kitchen look too modern! :( He suggested that I sew a country-quilt to cover it.

Actually I got a lot of shelves and cabinets for my decor items, but all empty! Like you, also gonna buy items slowly to dress them up.

Ah so complicated! Maybe you can consider mossaic as skirting or trimming at the edge of the canopy & maybe decorate the middle of the canopy with ribbons, those kind suitable for your country style theme? I think this will do the trick.

Hmm...but I think using mossaic is more of a retro style? I hope to be able to accent the canopy with tiles like the photo below and put in 1 or 2 country signs at the empty space above the decorative tiles. Hopefully dun turn out looking like rojak! hehe

D_i27782.jpg

Mosaic tiles can be retro if used right since its akin to having a vintage look too. Similarly if going to use for country style, it is possible to turn it into a country style look. Just depends on how you accent it.

Why don't you give it a try for the decorative tiles? :)

Hmm...but I think using mossaic is more of a retro style? I hope to be able to accent the canopy with tiles like the photo below and put in 1 or 2 country signs at the empty space above the decorative tiles. Hopefully dun turn out looking like rojak! hehe

D_i27782.jpg

Hehe...sorry for my wrong interpretation. Cos I went down to Forest Wood, the ID told me the white portion is plaster. Usually they will paint over the plaster to protect it.

Is your cabinet solid wood or ply? Think u told me the other time is solid ply right? How much did Cottage Crafts quote u for the cabinet alone?

My HB said the oven spoilt the whole look, makes the kitchen look too modern! :( He suggested that I sew a country-quilt to cover it.

Actually I got a lot of shelves and cabinets for my decor items, but all empty! Like you, also gonna buy items slowly to dress them up.

haha they shd noe not everything in white is plaster la. Cottage painted it white so that it will stand out frm my cherry cabinets. we didn noe wad other colour better to choose so juz stick to their idea. next time sick of it then see wad else can change to keke.

my cabinets are solid wood. the kitchen costs 4k+. ovens nowaday all look modern de leh haha. ya maybe when not in use u can use a quilt to cover it but once in a while u hv to wash it so got extra things to wash lor.

i don hv a lot of shelves for my decor items hahaha. but i love to buy them. hv u ordered from the shabby boutique already?wad did u buy from there?

the tile in the post below is nice. veri country like. will dress up ur canopy n kitchen. where u gg to get this tile?

Edited by piggiedearz

IMG_0488.jpg

This is my canopy with the tiles. the colour of the cabinet is too dark due to lighting so cant catch the trimmings. free then take more pics of the hse to show u. planning to add some deco on the white portion but no idea yet. will do some research then see wad to put. u hv any pics of canopies like that? :)

Edited by piggiedearz

IMG_0488.jpg

This is my canopy with the tiles. the colour of the cabinet is too dark due to lighting so cant catch the trimmings. free then take more pics of the hse to show u. planning to add some deco on the white portion but no idea yet. will do some research then see wad to put. u hv any pics of canopies like that? :)

Beautiful kitchen! :thumbs up: Interesting choice of colour for the canopy. :good: hehe. my missus wanted this design very much but we went for the straight one in the end as it serves as a cabinet too, more storage space; but alas we ended up with excess storage space. haha. anyway, what hood are you using? :)

haha they shd noe not everything in white is plaster la. Cottage painted it white so that it will stand out frm my cherry cabinets. we didn noe wad other colour better to choose so juz stick to their idea. next time sick of it then see wad else can change to keke.

my cabinets are solid wood. the kitchen costs 4k+. ovens nowaday all look modern de leh haha. ya maybe when not in use u can use a quilt to cover it but once in a while u hv to wash it so got extra things to wash lor.

i don hv a lot of shelves for my decor items hahaha. but i love to buy them. hv u ordered from the shabby boutique already?wad did u buy from there?

the tile in the post below is nice. veri country like. will dress up ur canopy n kitchen. where u gg to get this tile?

Hey, $4k+ for a country kitchen is really cheap! Do u have photos of the entire cabinet to show me? Just wanna see what the 4k consists of. Funny though, cos Cottage quoted me almost $10k for a kitchen cabinet alone and my cabinet area is really small. :dunno: Maybe it's cos I didn't ask them to quote for other reno works, hence they needed to mark up a lot for the kitchen.

I've seen decorative tiles like what I've posted above at SBH. Gonna go down to take a look soon. Think they cost abt $5 - $10 per piece, so I think still quite affordable, since I don't really need many pieces.

I've not bought anything from that ebay store yet, maybe next mth, cos this mth really overspent liao. :( PM me if u wanna buy anything from the store, can share the shipping cost. :)

Mosaic tiles can be retro if used right since its akin to having a vintage look too. Similarly if going to use for country style, it is possible to turn it into a country style look. Just depends on how you accent it.

Why don't you give it a try for the decorative tiles? :)

Thanks for the suggestion, will think deeper abt how I wanna accent the canopy. But mosaic tiles are quite expensive and quite tedious to fix. For lazy people like me, just buy big big piece of tiles to stick over lor. :P

Beautiful kitchen! :thumbs up: Interesting choice of colour for the canopy. :good: hehe. my missus wanted this design very much but we went for the straight one in the end as it serves as a cabinet too, more storage space; but alas we ended up with excess storage space. haha. anyway, what hood are you using? :)

hi there.. tks for the compliments :) ya this design cannot use for storage, juz for looks lor. i tink the canopy is veri important for a country look thus die die must have this, nothing less hehe. i'm using teka canopy hood. u hv any pics of ur hse to share?

Hey, $4k+ for a country kitchen is really cheap! Do u have photos of the entire cabinet to show me? Just wanna see what the 4k consists of. Funny though, cos Cottage quoted me almost $10k for a kitchen cabinet alone and my cabinet area is really small. :dunno: Maybe it's cos I didn't ask them to quote for other reno works, hence they needed to mark up a lot for the kitchen.

I've seen decorative tiles like what I've posted above at SBH. Gonna go down to take a look soon. Think they cost abt $5 - $10 per piece, so I think still quite affordable, since I don't really need many pieces.

I've not bought anything from that ebay store yet, maybe next mth, cos this mth really overspent liao. :( PM me if u wanna buy anything from the store, can share the shipping cost. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, will think deeper abt how I wanna accent the canopy. But mosaic tiles are quite expensive and quite tedious to fix. For lazy people like me, just buy big big piece of tiles to stick over lor. :P

er i tink i rem wrongly. its 6k+. my kitchen's veri small so i tink 6k+ is ex but for country look, no choice lor. its not super country as i like but for practical purposes, hv to do it this way. my quote initially was quite ex but i cut away a lot of stuffs to cut cost. when got time i take pics show u.

$5 to $10 per pc is reasonable. mine is abt 25 per pc. :jawdrop:

IMG_0488.jpg

Your canopy really looks great with those tiles! :dribble: Very sad cos my kitchen cabinet really falls short of my expectations. Sob...

What u can add as decor above the tiles are some country signages eg Home sweet home, country kitchen etc. I've seen samples of very nice ones at http://www.forestwood.com.sg/. Go to the "kitchen" section under portfolio.

Hi warsurfer

Hmm...Just wondering how the canopy could serve as a storage space? U mean it's not boxed up at all? Mine's a permanent feature, really a wastage of storage space. No choice I guess, gotta forgo storage space for asthetic reasons.

Piggiedearz, how about doing stencils for the canopy area which you want to decorate? Or alternatively, do it up with a small wreath of daisies or sunflower(Maybe artificial ones) :D