Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
BlueFly

Ventilation Fan In Toilet

Great! Looking forward to seeing the pix. Very incline to get it fixed. BTW do you use timer? So you have to run a wiring from the switch point to inside the bathroom? Can tap from existing W/H point?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Just to share, got a quote today from Ho Bee for installing exhaust fan:

1) Supply and install 2 toilets push out lovures windows $500

2) Labour fee to install exhaust fan $40

Price is comparatively higher than some but I'm doing very small job only.

I think I have to supply the fans. I have also already applied for HDB permit.

Too bad cannot put timer, no space as previous owner already put 2 powerpoint into inbuilt cabinet.

sorry for the late posting. had problem with the broadband connection at home

Before Installation

before.jpg

After Installation

after.jpg

Great! Looking forward to seeing the pix. Very incline to get it fixed. BTW do you use timer? So you have to run a wiring from the switch point to inside the bathroom? Can tap from existing W/H point?

not using timer. will just get my electrician to tap it to the light point

Some IDs don't like to do extra work, so they always find excuses. You paid good money for yr ID, so tell yr ID you will only believe if you see HDB's reply, even if yr request is not approved.

FYI, if HDB approved my request, which was (1) for a change from lourve window to casement window and (2) for the installation of vent fan, I don't see why your request should not be similarly approved !

Yes, KDK has a model (costs about $150) that uses a plastic panel to cover the entire window, then the vent fan is installed onto the plastic panel.

But I don't like that approach because it means the entire window is covered up permanently, leaving only the small vent fan opening.

Instead, I installed the other KDK model (costs about $52 with GST) that requires the window pane to be cut to attach the vent fan. Then, after someone has used the toilet, the vent fan is switched off, and the window can be opened to air the toilet. The vent fan is used to prevent the smell from getting into the kitchen or bedroom when someone is doing his business.

So this way I have the flexibility: open the casement window if I want to, or use the vent fan if needed.

And did I mention it is much cheaper too? :P

DSC_7175.jpg

Hi Bluefly,

I like your white window panes but when i called to request from

tCentral Aluminium, they informed me tat is HDB's requirement to

use wired window panes.. So if I were to use them, my window will

have the wired window pane..

Anyone knows whether HDB has such requirement that the window

pane used must be wired? :P

Do you guys run a brand new switch for the fan or do you tap to either the existing light/heater point?

I'm using instant heater so I wonder if it would be advisable to tap to the heater point? Instant heater doesnt consume power unless water is turned on right? I dont want too many ugly trunking running out to my bedroom as all my wires are currently concealed.

sorry for the late posting. had problem with the broadband connection at home

Before Installation

before.jpg

After Installation

after.jpg

not using timer. will just get my electrician to tap it to the light point

I also want :dribble:

Hi Bluefly,

I like your white window panes but when i called to request from

tCentral Aluminium, they informed me tat is HDB's requirement to

use wired window panes.. So if I were to use them, my window will

have the wired window pane..

Anyone knows whether HDB has such requirement that the window

pane used must be wired? :bangwall:

Yeoman:

Sorry i just saw yr post now when i got admin email abt new post. think others also got same problem abt new post late.

i believe yr fabricator use wired glass bec it is a safety issue. in my case my fabricator used laminated glass -- if the glass is shattered by someone throwing things from upper floors, there won't be any pieces dropping to the ground below, potentially hurting passers-by.

wired glass also serve the same purpose.

hence i think if u like the white pane u cld ask yr fabricator to use laminated glass. hdb shld also approve, as mine was approved.

cheers

I've arranged with Central Aluminum to come take measurements for my fan tmr. Will be fixing 2 top hung windows with fan cos I want the window to be opened.

For those who tap the fan to the light point, does that mean that when u one the fan, the light will be on as well? Is there a way to on just the fan and not the lights? I'm reluctant to run a new switch for the fan alone due to:

1) too many ugly wire casing in my toilets

2) my current switch are half-concealed in the wall so adding a new switch will mean one extra switch beside them that has a box thats not concealed. Ugly :(

I've arranged with Central Aluminum to come take measurements for my fan tmr. Will be fixing 2 top hung windows with fan cos I want the window to be opened.

For those who tap the fan to the light point, does that mean that when u one the fan, the light will be on as well? Is there a way to on just the fan and not the lights? I'm reluctant to run a new switch for the fan alone due to:

2) my current switch are half-concealed in the wall so adding a new switch will mean one extra switch beside them that has a box thats not concealed. Ugly :(

once you have the fan tap onto the lights

1) you can switch on the light without switching on the fan

2) you turn on both of them at the same time.

3) you CANT switch on the fan without switching on the light

Hi Hobbes187,

I think you can tap on the water heater switch point for the fan

if you are not using the instant heater for both washrooms.

As I'm using a storage heater and its in the common washroom,

hence i think it should not be a problem to use the heater switch

point for my MBR washroom as the fan switch instead.

You can also check with the installer when he is there to install ur fan.

Bear in mind that some windows can only do fixed panel becos of space

constraint.. at least mine must do fixed panel.. so considering other options..

may just get kdk people to install the latest 15whpa fan which imho looks

nicer.

:yamseng:

A switch closes the circuit, turning on whatever device is connected to the circuit. If you on the light, the fan will be on, but you cld pull the cord to turn the fan off, provided the fan is connected to the switch by a separate parallel circuit. Most ppl connect in series, so no independent control of either device.

That means: switch on -->light on (fan maybe on too depending on the cord) -->go in and pull fan cord to turn it off == too lay-che isn't it? :unsure: Even then, if u only want the fan but not the light u need a cord switch attached to the light device to turn it off.

If u want separate independent control, and dont want to add another switch, yr electrician cld fix a socket near the KDK fan, and connect the fan with a plug. If u don't want a socket u cld connect directly to the fan, as it can be operated by a line cord. That is neater than putting in another switch.

i am no electrician, i am only applying logically what i learnt from school. :dunno: why not ask yr electrician, as he may hv special devices that may do what u want?

My fan was installed today and my ID supervised the installation. He asked me to go down and take a look after work cos he felt that the top hung window is a bit stiff when opening and he held back payment to Central Aluminium in case I want them to rectify anything :D

So I went down just now armed with a torch light and groping in the dark. I found that it wasnt as stiff as I expected and only a little resistance was felt probably due to it being new. So I guess my ID has higher standards than me. :good: I called him up and told him to pay Central as the windows are quite ok to me.

I like the fact that the fan they used were the larger KDK model and seems much better than the one I have at my current place. With the top hung window, the toilet looks brighter too. Will take picture the next time I'm at the site. Cant really see much to comment on the workmanship or material of the window. Also, my ID got his own tilers to touch on the areas surrounding the window so hard to tell who's workmanship it is :dunno:

Anyway, anyone has any idea how I can limit the extent that the top hung window can be pushed out? I dont want it to be able to open all the way out. One way I thought of is to get my ID to drill 2 screws into the window track at each side so as to block the rail from going all the way up.