Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kichialo

Need Advice On Track Spotlights

Hi everyone, I am thinking of changing the ceiling lights in my bedroom. My bedroom (normal HDB) is also my study room of sort, for reading plus computer and tv.

A simple track spotlight I am considering are Ikea ones like this one.

cittra_quadspotlight.jpg

http://www.ikea.com.sg/products/product_display.asp?id=814

Will the 4x20W halogen lights be enough? Will it be too hot? It has transformer means can last longer?

Or should I go for this 3x35W kind? Also halogen, no transformer.

pe156918.jpg

Or should I stick to energy saving lights on tracks? (the light not as nice as halogen but is not as hot and lasts longer)

In a bit of a dilemma as I am new to all these, so hope to hear from the regulars here.

All advice/comments are appreciated, thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
How about using energy saving halogen bulb?

Yes, will certainly consider energy saving halogen bulb. Saw the brand Osram Decostar being mentioned somewhere in one of the threads. :notti:

btw saw on Osram website the DECOSTAR® 51 ENERGY SAVER voltage is 12V. Spore voltage is 220-230V right? So means I will need a transformer?

Edited by kichialo

Halogen should only be used for mood lighting. Using them for general lighting not advisable as the spot light effect creates shadows and also it heats up the room very fast.

There is no such thing as energy saving halogen. donkey years ago.. halogen was considered evergy saving when compared to normal lightbulb. But in today's context, halogen is one of the worst energy intensive lighting to use. In cold countries, can argue that the heat generated helps to heat up the room, but in Sg.. it simply means higher aircon bill.

There are track light versions that can hold energy Saving bulbs. Ugly.. but.. very practical. Track lighting is more to save cost.. as can have tons of bulbs but considered as only 1 lighting point!

There is no such thing as energy saving halogen. donkey years ago.. halogen was considered evergy saving when compared to normal lightbulb. But in today's context, halogen is one of the worst energy intensive lighting to use. In cold countries, can argue that the heat generated helps to heat up the room, but in Sg.. it simply means higher aircon bill.

It is true normal halogen bulbs heat up. I felt it slightly at friend's new place with no aircon, but the lighting effect is really nice. I thought the Energy Savers series from Philips and Osram should be cooler than the older normal halogen bulbs?

It is true normal halogen bulbs heat up. I felt it slightly at friend's new place with no aircon, but the lighting effect is really nice. I thought the Energy Savers series from Philips and Osram should be cooler than the older normal halogen bulbs?

The effect is indeed nice, and that's why I always say it's for mood lighting. But in Sg, it's simply too hot for general lighting. In cold climates, sitting next to a fireplace is romantic.. but would that be a romantic thing to do in Sg?

Need to ask about ceiling lighting point for the track. The existing lighting point on the ceiling is right in the center of the room, but due to installing the track the wire point need to be shifted. This is because the wires join the track at one end of the track.

So my question is: Isn't this shifting of wire point considered as installing a new lighting point? So the cost should be something like $30 or $40 right?

The contractor is telling me about hacking the ceiling to do that sound like a lot of work. I wondering if he is trying to get me to cough up more money... :bow:

Edited by kichialo

I'm also considering having tracklights to shine on my posters n paintings, but can anyone advise if it will discolor the paintings if expose to such lights for too long? i worry abt the heat emission of such lights..

Hi everyone, I am thinking of changing the ceiling lights in my bedroom. My bedroom (normal HDB) is also my study room of sort, for reading plus computer and tv.

A simple track spotlight I am considering are Ikea ones like this one.

cittra_quadspotlight.jpg

http://www.ikea.com.sg/products/product_display.asp?id=814

Will the 4x20W halogen lights be enough? Will it be too hot? It has transformer means can last longer?

Or should I go for this 3x35W kind? Also halogen, no transformer.

pe156918.jpg

Or should I stick to energy saving lights on tracks? (the light not as nice as halogen but is not as hot and lasts longer)

In a bit of a dilemma as I am new to all these, so hope to hear from the regulars here.

All advice/comments are appreciated, thanks!

Take note that this type of lighting is hot hot hot !!

Go for energy saving lights what others Bros have suggested.