Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
seeker38

How Long Does Hdb Wiring Last? Average Lifespan?

Hi, would anyone know how lasting HDB electrical wiring is? I am purchasing a 17 yr old flat. Would the wiring still be in good condition? How many more years will it last? Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi, would anyone know how lasting HDB electrical wiring is? I am purchasing a 17 yr old flat. Would the wiring still be in good condition? How many more years will it last? Thanks!

Electrical wires should last for a long time. I think the electrical wire should last as long as the flat, assuming that the amount of current loaded in the past is well below the specified maximum tolerance of the wires, which happens to be 13A and 15A for power-points intended to be used by the aircon compressor.

Electrical wiring has to meet standards. Since HDB is silent on the lifespan of electrical wiring in flats, I believe the lifespan of electrical wiring in our flats is a non-issue.

Problems may arise if there is unauthorised wiring done by the owner. Examples include the use of electrical sockets or extensions without SISIR stamp (now Spring Singapore), such sockets have been known to melt and cause fire because of over-loading of the circuit. :yamseng:

Electrical wiring has to meet standards. Since HDB is silent on the lifespan of electrical wiring in flats, I believe the lifespan of electrical wiring in our flats is a non-issue.

Problems may arise if there is unauthorised wiring done by the owner. Examples include the use of electrical sockets or extensions without SISIR stamp (now Spring Singapore), such sockets have been known to melt and cause fire because of over-loading of the circuit. :yamseng:

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify. Does this mean that if the current wiring is still in good condition, there's no need for me to rewire the flat? I assume that there is some kind of wiring test that can be done to verify the condition?

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify. Does this mean that if the current wiring is still in good condition, there's no need for me to rewire the flat? I assume that there is some kind of wiring test that can be done to verify the condition?

You've answered yr own question, isn't it? :P

On a more serious note, I am unaware if there is any instrument that can detect poor or worn out insulation -- that's probably what we're most concerned with. Usually you simply inspect the electrical wiring with yr naked eyes, to see if the insulation is worn out or melted in some parts.

If you want peace of mind, you could apply to Power Supply to test your wiring, which is free, according to the regulator, Energy Mkt Authority. Unfortunately I was told PS wants you to go thro a licensed electrician, who will charge you a fee. Seems to me like PS is avoiding responsibility, isn't it? :yamseng:

dun worry too much la....

wirings will last longer than your own lifespan on this earth.

so long no rats or cockroaches bites the wires, it lasts and lasts......

I think better to change. My current house, abt 20 years then did a re-wiring....

Scared, wires old liao, rubber harden then insulation less effective? not sure.. but 17 year house should rewire i feel.