Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
star77

Is Window Grill Necessary?

Hi all,

I have started my reno and have decided not to install window grill as I feel that it will have a lock-in feeling.

My parents prefer that window grills be installed though.

from my understanding, grills are installed to prevent thief from climbing through the windows are in the case whereby there're children in the house (for safety puspose). am i right to say that?

I have no children in the house and i am staying on the 12th floor.

is window grill really necessary?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

unless you are talking about grilles that can't be opened (i.e. those corridor ones)

grilles does not prevent children from falling as they would learn how to open the grilles

it also won't prevent thieves as they will break into the unit if they want to

grilles just make your home seem less attractive...

Hah, I was caught in the same situation. Parents wants grills, I don't want them.

Finally, windows facing corridor, comes with fixed grills, cannot be slided open, can't be helped since gotta prevent burglars from climbing in, mine's sliding windows.

Their room, comes with grills that can be open, the rest of the house, no grillls. Without grills makes it more spacious and not to mention, grills are not cheap.

Do you plan to have children in the near future?

Prolly take about 3-5 years before they master the art of climbing...up up up up + about 1 year for baby making.

So if you plan to sell ur unit after 5 years, maybe you can save the grill money for now.

Grills means more things to clean also.

If you got a lot of relatives coming over often with tons of kids running around and easy access to high platform stuff near the windows, might want to consider getting them for safety.

Sleepwalkers must have grills installed.

If you are worry that if u want to add grills in future, it'll be messy...fret not...the window makers will come, take measurement, next day or few days come with the grills...drill some holes and poof...there u go GRILLS! Maybe need to get some paint to touch up only.

my 2 cents.

My case is different from yours. I bought a resale flat and it has window grilles installed. As I am single, I don't need the grilles.

Initially wanted to spend $$ to remove them. Now, I changed my mind and decided to keep them.

If window grilles are not there, don't install them if you think you don't need them. You can always put them up when you need them :P

Same here. Got a unit with ugly black grilles, even in the bathroom window, which faces our own utility room and decided to remove. In our case no need to spend $$$, because the grilles are not welded to the window, just need to remove the screws.

me too...

we bought a resale unit, comes with ugly aluminium grill,

i remove it & sell as scrap aluminium, $60 :good::yeah:

our ID oso dun recommend grill unless it needed,

else it spoilt the whole design concept, jz like a jail

but then my MIL say she wun come visit cau scare height no grill, cau my unit #17 :lol::lol:

old folks like grill... :dunno:

Edited by HaiLim

i m caught in the same situation like yours, PIL highlighted grills , i dun like grills , cause new year i got to help to clean , hahahahahahaha. then got children dangerous la , blablablalbllb n the rest u will know how.

so thanks to mace (great info of his blog , must read) , i learn that can change the windows both sliding n casement to those with key to locks , hahahaha

inital quote to do entire area with grill = 1800

now grill for service year and window locks for the rest = 900.

i save half , if future got kids , then future say lor.

the locks i m looking at are like these ,

http://www.buylocks.co.uk/product_category.php?cid=9

btw if any of u kind people saw such locks , pls tell me thanks a million

http://shop.yale.co.uk/acatalog/Window_Security.html

P117 - Ventilation Window Lock

Wah can sell the grill for 60buck ah...not bad leh..sell to who huh?

that time (last year Nov) i sold to this lady call Miss Tan (fr newspaper galanguni ads) no. is 63568325/97527890, they collect/buy metal for recycle, copper pipes, wires, aluminium window grill, etc...

try give them a ring, ask them a quote, fix an appt, they come to see & buy fr u, good price if they clean, if more they weigh by KG....tink aluminium is $2/kg

Chiang, the P117 Ventilation Window Lock seems interesting.

I'm checking with one of the supplier here....they might be able to almost similar product, but it is made in NZ. Waiting for his feedback on the product spec and he mentioned that it needs minimum quantity to import the products.

Also, wondering if anyone has contractor that is willing to install the product. Maybe we can do a spree to bring the product in.

Cheers!

that time (last year Nov) i sold to this lady call Miss Tan (fr newspaper galanguni ads) no. is 63568325/97527890, they collect/buy metal for recycle, copper pipes, wires, aluminium window grill, etc...

try give them a ring, ask them a quote, fix an appt, they come to see & buy fr u, good price if they clean, if more they weigh by KG....tink aluminium is $2/kg

Thanks for sharing HaiLim. Cheers.. :notti:

Chiang, the P117 Ventilation Window Lock seems interesting.

I'm checking with one of the supplier here....they might be able to almost similar product, but it is made in NZ. Waiting for his feedback on the product spec and he mentioned that it needs minimum quantity to import the products.

Also, wondering if anyone has contractor that is willing to install the product. Maybe we can do a spree to bring the product in.

Cheers!

heyhoe, u find already , must tell me hor , i see if i can stire up any interest in my neighbourhood.

thanks

Didn't realise we could sell the grille! Our resale flat actually comes with a wrought iron window grille for the full height window at the living room. We just asked our contractor to remove it and dispose off!! That must be worth quite a lot. Such a waste... :bangwall: