Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jackng1982

Painted Kitchen Walls

Ok i'm in a pinch now. Are painted kitchen walls really hard to maintain? One ID i visited told me that kitchen walls need to be painted with epoxy paint cos normal cannot withstand the amount of activity in the kitchen. Can anyone verify this?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I was thinking of that for a moment.. in the end reverted to tiles cos I think the design and variety are much more nowadays.. and the maintainence's really easy... better than painted wall I guess

One problem is my renovation budget. As i'm rehauling the whole unit, even when i'm doing minimal and basic works the budget is at least 25k... considering tiling kitchen will cost a few k more it's a major portion of the reno works.

Hi jack

Same here...low budget so gonna opt for painted walls that'll match my living room cos kitchen's open concept ;p

But just started reno works yesterday only, so no experience on it to share yet :P

Hi jack

Same here...low budget so gonna opt for painted walls that'll match my living room cos kitchen's open concept ;p

But just started reno works yesterday only, so no experience on it to share yet :P

Hi meepley, i'm breaking my walls to open up the kitchen too. How did your ID or contractor advise you on stuff like paint type and maintenence?

Hi jack

Eh...i'm afraid havent got to the maintenance part yet. I didn't really hesitate too much cos at my mum's house, the kitchen also only painted walls without tiles and the place looked ok, so I thought should be alright too ;-p

Except that she put up 2 pieces of glass as backsplash at the cooking area since that's the dirtiest part already. Then everyday after cooking she'll wipe and clean any grease or splashes on the glass.

When I choose my paints I'll remember to ask my ID abt it ;-p then I'll post again :)

normal wash and wear paint will do lah. No need those super glossy eproxy paint.

go go go go jacky go... c'mon jacky go... :dancingqueen:

normal wash and wear paint will do lah. No need those super glossy eproxy paint.

go go go go jacky go... c'mon jacky go... :dancingqueen:

You watch too much jacky wu liaoz hahaha... :disturb:

Yeah i think i'll just go for those easy wash paint. Most cost effective method and doesn't spoil the looks.

Edited by jackng1982

Ok i'm in a pinch now. Are painted kitchen walls really hard to maintain? One ID i visited told me that kitchen walls need to be painted with epoxy paint cos normal cannot withstand the amount of activity in the kitchen. Can anyone verify this?

I have glass backing throughout my kitchen cabinet. Beyond that, the kitchen wall will be painted due to budget contraint.

But I guess should be fine since after putting in all the cabinets, the exposed surface should not be a lot anyway.

I used ICI dulux weathershield paint for the kitchen with glass backing at sink and hob areas. It was ok. I like the painted wall look as it blends well for my open concept kitchen.

I used ICI dulux weathershield paint for the kitchen with glass backing at sink and hob areas. It was ok. I like the painted wall look as it blends well for my open concept kitchen.

Did you decide on the paint type on yourself or did your contractor advised you? For me i'm thinking of using the Nippon Easy Wash w Teflon hope it's good enough though. :unsure: Initially i wanted an open concept too but this way the kitchen cabinet wall will connect to my living room and form a total length of 10m! Not sure if it'll look funny.

what is the meaining of glass backing ?

Did you decide on the paint type on yourself or did your contractor advised you? For me i'm thinking of using the Nippon Easy Wash w Teflon hope it's good enough though. :unsure: Initially i wanted an open concept too but this way the kitchen cabinet wall will connect to my living room and form a total length of 10m! Not sure if it'll look funny.

my kitchen walls are painted...no regrets...makes the whole place looks modern

maintenance for tiles are also not easy....i rem i used to spend 1 day wiping them (mum's house) for our annual springclean and the oil stains are quite alot too.. :P

what is the meaining of glass backing ?

Glass backing (or glass backsplash) means a piece of glass that is stick to the wall area especially near the washing and cooking area. Since these areas are prone to mositure and grease, by having a glass/stainless steel backing, it makes cleaning much easier. If do tiling, need to clean the grouts which could be tedious.

You may refer to the pictures of my kitchen in my T-blog. I have installed glass backing throughout the cabinet length.