Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
scorpio76

A Brand New Aircon Or Repair?

Hi Guys, currently my house is running on a Carrier system 3 (Millenium series) bought almost 8 years back. Currently, the one in the materbed room is having some problem. It is not cold.

I just have the thermister replaced, top up the aircon gas about 1 month ago and now it's not cold again. Wondering whether it's the compressor that's leaking. The other 2 rooms a/c are still working fine.

Should I just get someone to replace the whole set to a system 2 as one room hardly use or is it cheaper to just repair the existing problem?

If I am to change the aircon, thinking of getting Toshiba system 2 with 3 ticks. Will there be a substatial saving in electricity bills as I on my 2 aircons at least 8 hours a day?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi Guys, currently my house is running on a Carrier system 3 (Millenium series) bought almost 8 years back. Currently, the one in the materbed room is having some problem. It is not cold.

I just have the thermister replaced, top up the aircon gas about 1 month ago and now it's not cold again. Wondering whether it's the compressor that's leaking. The other 2 rooms a/c are still working fine.

Should I just get someone to replace the whole set to a system 2 as one room hardly use or is it cheaper to just repair the existing problem?

If I am to change the aircon, thinking of getting Toshiba system 2 with 3 ticks. Will there be a substatial saving in electricity bills as I on my 2 aircons at least 8 hours a day?

My take is that you can switch to a new inverter system 2. Since your present system is giving you problems and after numerous servicings, it still be the same. With your daily usage of 8 hours, an inverter system would save you money in the long run.

all electrical appliances will consume more electricity when they age

the older the system, the more electricity it'll consume

so the better choice will be to change the system :yamseng:

Edited by applefreak

if the repair guy can tell you what is happening and it's associated cost to repair, that will help you also decide better. Electrical consumption is across the board increase if you have non-inventer or old appliances unless you intend to have all of them changed out.

2 days ago, i have one aircon compressor giving some loud noise and also not cold and when the repair guy came to inspect it, he wants $400 to have it fix :jawdrop: . I was considering replacement or repair, finally took the repair route.

:dancingqueen:

Aircon can last to more than 15yrs, wear and tear sure got la. Ask the aircon man to check for you, if is aircon leak, i suggest u to change the whole thing. If other problems, just stick to the repairing route, it is always cheaper to spend a few more K to install the whole system. And now the inverter system maybe electrical saving but repairing cost is higher than non-inverter system buy around 2 times. The inverter aircon refrigerant (R410a), charge by my aircon contractor $50/units. And the non-interverter aircon refrigerant (R22) only $20/units. If you want my aircon contractor number can pm me =) No harm getting another quote.