Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lawry

Question On Cooking Hood

Anyone knows?

How should I even describe this ..

Cooking hoods, the top part of it where there's this big opening, must it reach the ceiling or it can dangle in mid air open ended? Will that affect the efficiency of the hood?

I'll try to draw some pictures if you guys can't figure out what I'm saying. :(

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Quick sketch.

hood2fd0.jpg]

Hood top end extended all the way to the ceiling, is this the standard way of installation?

hood1ed8.jpg

Hood dangling in mid air with top exposed, does it still function at max efficiency?

Edited by lawry

Quick sketch.

hood2fd0.jpg]

Hood top end extended all the way to the ceiling, is this the standard way of installation?

hood1ed8.jpg

Hood dangling in mid air with top exposed, does it still function at max efficiency?

With the hood opening exposed, won't dust and grease settle inside and accumulate quickily? Just a thought... :dunno:

Do not own a chimney hood but from what i see at my brother's place, the hood cover is just a empty casing, does not contribute to its performance. But asthetically, dangling in mid air does not look so nice.

Thank you for the replies, so I assume it's pure aesthetics issues to raise it up to the ceiling?

I'm asking this because mine is "half-covered" by the cabinet and my kitchen seems a bit oily even after I on the hood, thought it was not working well. Again, I will try to draw something later to illustrate the "half-covered" hood. :)

Quick sketch.

hood2fd0.jpg]

hood1ed8.jpg

Because there is a beam across my kitchen. So mine is installed as per your 2nd picture.

If there is no beam, you can extend the hood all the way. It depends on individual...

So my contractor has to cut abit of the hood. But there is the ventilation gap for the air to escape.

And between the gap. I have cabinets for putting small stuffs...

I think by doing carpentry to cover the rest of the hood makes it looks nicer.

But with the ventilation covered, oil will definitely stick on the wall from time.

So leaving it both ways has their pros and cons. :yamseng:

kitchenfx9.jpg

This is the half covered hood that I was talking about, don't exactly understand how a cooking hood works, was just worried that all the oily smoke might escape from the opening above because the 2 mini doors of the cabinet right above the hood was exceptionally oily.

Worries unfounded it seems, thanks for your replies.