Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
blackman

Philip Electronic Ballast, Which To Buy?

Hi,

Most of my new house lighting are PLC flolecent light 36W, and there are 2 tubes per unit, so in total has 72W per unit.

I am thinking of using Philip electronic ballast instead of coil ballast as recommended in the forum. However, when i check with Choo Chiang, They sell 36W ballast and dual-36W which cost S$9 and S$13.5 respectively.

Thinking of using the dual-36W ballast, as it is cheaper and only need one ballast per unit.

Have anyone use the dual-36W philip electronic ballast before? If one ballast blow off due to some reason will affect other ballasts that are connected in parallel to it within an lighting unit?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

if you use the 36Wx2 ballast and it fails, only 2 tubes will be affected that will not light up...the looping of wiring for other ballast is done outside of the ballast.

Hi,

Most of my new house lighting are PLC flolecent light 36W, and there are 2 tubes per unit, so in total has 72W per unit.

I am thinking of using Philip electronic ballast instead of coil ballast as recommended in the forum. However, when i check with Choo Chiang, They sell 36W ballast and dual-36W which cost S$9 and S$13.5 respectively.

Thinking of using the dual-36W ballast, as it is cheaper and only need one ballast per unit.

Have anyone use the dual-36W philip electronic ballast before? If one ballast blow off due to some reason will affect other ballasts that are connected in parallel to it within an lighting unit?

Wah, 72W per unit.

Hi,

2 ballast better than ONE.

perhaps you should consider changing them to T5.

one T5 28watts is brighter than 2x T8 36watts.

2 ballast better than ONE.

perhaps you should consider changing them to T5.

one T5 28watts is brighter than 2x T8 36watts.

Hi Mace,

Thanks for the info. Then i will get seperate ballast for each of the tube.

The T8 tube came together with the lighting unit. I ask the shop if can just buy the lighting unit without tube and ballast, but they said only ballast can take out.

Is the T8 tube replacable by T5 tube without any mod?

Hi Mace,

Thanks for the info. Then i will get seperate ballast for each of the tube.

The T8 tube came together with the lighting unit. I ask the shop if can just buy the lighting unit without tube and ballast, but they said only ballast can take out.

Is the T8 tube replacable by T5 tube without any mod?

Nope, still need to do some simple mod.

need to buy the 2 end cap(connectors for T5).

Plus - a T5 4feet is about 1.5 inches shorter than a T8 4feet tube.

Nope, still need to do some simple mod.

need to buy the 2 end cap(connectors for T5).

Plus - a T5 4feet is about 1.5 inches shorter than a T8 4feet tube.

Thanks.

How about the electronic ballast? T8 tube has 4 wires to be connected to the ballast. How about T5?

Thanks.

How about the electronic ballast? T8 tube has 4 wires to be connected to the ballast. How about T5?

T5 only 2 wires, one wire to each end of the tube.

Then 1 ground wire just tuck it between the concrete and lamp's metal plate.

As easy as ABC....all in my tblog.

I just found that my light is not T8 type. It is PLL compact fluorescent light.

PLL light

Can anyone try if the philip electronic ballast look like this can use on the PLL compact fluorescent light?

ballast3.jpg

taken from Mace blog.

I went to Choo Chiang, but none of them can advice me if this ballast fit to the PLL light.

whats the existing ballast for the downlights?

most likely should work.

Existing is coil/magnetic ballast. They do have electronic ballast installed option, but is cheapo brand, I dont want.

This PLL light is not downlights. It lie horizontal like T8/T5 lights due to long length.

Existing is coil/magnetic ballast. They do have electronic ballast installed option, but is cheapo brand, I dont want.

This PLL light is not downlights. It lie horizontal like T8/T5 lights due to long length.

sounds queer.

if it's connected to magnetic , def can connect to a electronic.

have you ever check how much it cost for replacement bulbs/tubes?

sounds queer.

if it's connected to magnetic , def can connect to a electronic.

have you ever check how much it cost for replacement bulbs/tubes?

The tubes (Philips brand) cost $6.5 from Choo Chiang.

Anyone has the EB-E 136 ballast datasheet or manual, the ballast in mace blog? I searched Philips website, it has only HF-B 136 Ballast, which can be used for both T8/T5 and PL-L light.

Tempted to give a try on EB-E and PL-L combo.

Finally I found this page.

EBE-136 ballast

Increase the sucess rate of EBE-136 and PL-L light combo. :sport-smiley-004:

EBE;TLD (from your picture) is meant for T8 lamp only. As for u are using T8 fluorscent tube, u could only use EBE ballast. Not PL lamp. As for PL lamp it works also but have to use a ballast which of PL too. The letter TLD meaning fluorscent tubes (T8) Got it?

T5 is not actually brighter , is more efficacy i would say compare to a T8 tube :-)