Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Is there any formula or thumb rule to estimate how many down lights are sufficient to cover a given area?

I am trying to work out how many down lights and of what power are required for my living room (area approx 5.5m x 4m). I will have false ceiling, so the lights can be put even in the middle of the room.

Thanks for suggestions.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

err... I will take those advise by the shops with a pinch of salt.

When I was buying my lights, one of the shop recommended so many downlights when I showed him my floorplan that I think they are just trying to close more sales.

Discuss with your ID/contractor, know roughly what you want before gong shopping.

1x downlight per metre.

actually it's up to individual - to me more for decor than lighting cos if really want the particular to be BRIGHT bright, should use fluorescent instead.

If you have L-boxes and false all over the house.

Eg: living and dining room, MBR and all the bedrooms, passageway and foyer

Its about 30 to 40 but stil depends on you.

Depends on how bright you want the house to be.

And more downlight mean more lightpoint = extra charge for installation and making light points.

So your switches will be more also.

Cheers

If you have L-boxes and false all over the house.

Eg: living and dining room, MBR and all the bedrooms, passageway and foyer

Its about 30 to 40 but stil depends on you.

Depends on how bright you want the house to be.

And more downlight mean more lightpoint = extra charge for installation and making light points.

So your switches will be more also.

Cheers

plus - more bulbs = more pretty numbers on the pub bill.

Singapore Power (SP) Group is a leading energy utility company in the Asia Pacific.

With assets of S$29.0 billion at end March 2008, it is one of the largest corporations in Singapore. It owns and operates electricity and gas transmission and distribution businesses.

How many Watts PL light gives brightness equivalent to a conventional fluorescent round tube of 16" dia?

Say if two 16" dia fluorescent lights give sufficient light to my living room, is it possible to estimate how many PL lights (& of how much power each) would make up for the fluorescent lights?

How many Watts PL light gives brightness equivalent to a conventional fluorescent round tube of 16" dia?

Say if two 16" dia fluorescent lights give sufficient light to my living room, is it possible to estimate how many PL lights (& of how much power each) would make up for the fluorescent lights?

it's the angle and area the light covers - cant really compare a tube and a downlight.

To save energy cost, you can ask the electrician to separate the switches of the downlights in a room into two or three, such that you can choose to open only downlights at a certain zone.

Typically a HDB bedroom would need about 6-8 downlights. Living room harder to estimate since it depends of the shape and size. Do consider having wall lights, standing or table lamp to create "layers" as well. When these lights are included, the number of downlights could reduce accordingly.

The glass covering will also affect the level of illumination. Frosted glass will be dimmer. No covering is also possible and is the brightest option.

Edited by LittleDevil

Can anyone kind enough to advise me what's the average price for a downlight? And where can I get them cheap?

Newbie here, staying at east coast side. I went to one lighting shop, one downlight is $32. Pls comment.

Can anyone kind enough to advise me what's the average price for a downlight? And where can I get them cheap?

Newbie here, staying at east coast side. I went to one lighting shop, one downlight is $32. Pls comment.

$10 - $30. mine with stainless steel casing + bezel only $15.

get one without ballast - just screw in a energy saving bulb.

1. My contractor has proposed Toyostar brand downlights. Are Toyostar lights good?

2. For my living room 6.3m x 4.8m, are 16 down lights (13W each) too less/ too many/ or reasonable number? With all lights on, I am looking for total intensity equivalent to 2 x 18" round fluorencent tubes.

Thanks

i just went to a lighting shop just now.

each plc down light made in taiwan but inside part like the ballast is made in austraillia

each cost 38 bucks.

normal 4 inch plc can use max is 13 watt

normal 5 inch plc can use max is 18 watt

normal 6 inch plc can use max is 26 watt and bla bla bla.

okie ma?

cheers

then led light not bad also. each light cost abt 120 bucks

but the light need to change only after 6 to 7 years

cheers, Ching